• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Motorbike carbon silencers

colnagowetdream

What are the downsides of fitting one of these say from a R1/Hayabusa. They could be made to fit the 2" collector outlet pipe of Westfields manifold and they can be picked up 2nd hand for approx £30-£50. My engine is a 2.0l Vx. Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oioi

• Martin Keene

• chrisbin

• Al Yupright

Nick Petty runs one of these on his blade I believe. Makes it very quiet (95 / 96 dB I think?)

Nick, did you go to Keevil yesterday?

Andy

If they are that cheap (1) where do you get them from and (2) will they be effective at reducing Hayabusa noise ?

terry

E-bay is a good place, Im looking for a nice R1 can to do the same thing myself, I have bought a sound meter and want to do some tests, and feed back the findings.

Be aware that you may have to do some fettling of brackets, pipe joiners and brackets

:p   But all good fun

Bit of fettling required as Mr C says, but I got a local exhaust place to do it and they charged me £35 (very nice TIG weld too) and the R1 can was £30 off ebay, mint condition with bracket.

Measured 98.4 at my first trackday with the car (MotorSport Events/Keevil airfield) and I was hoping to get a second test yesterday but didn't go in the end - pesky clients pestering me and unfortunately they keep the Westy on the road so needs must!

Was in Newbury today though Andy - in the Westy, if I'd known where you worked I would've dropped in (or at least dropped it 3 cogs and done a 'flypast' ....!;).

Was in Newbury today though Andy - in the Westy, if I'd known where you worked I would've dropped in (or at least dropped it 3 cogs and done a 'flypast' ....!;).

Drop me a line next time you're around. I work near Halfords / Burger King.

Andy

What are the downsides of fitting one of these say from a R1/Hayabusa

The downside is that they are a bit restrictive.  They are effective at reducing the exhaust noise, and you do this with either a restrictive silencer or a large volume silencer (could be multiple boxes as per your average tin top).

moomin

A crazy idea, but how about 2 free flow bike silencers mounted in parallel, with some sort of Y shaped manifold to silencer connector, so that you have 2 silencers running together. (may look a little daft, but could be swapped fro track days, and then removed later):p

I've got an R1 can, and it was pretty quiet to begin with, but now it is chuffin noisey.

I think it has blown the packing out. I also know someone with an R1 BEC with the standard R1 can and his also blew all the packing out.

This is in only a couple of thousand miles.

Tis strange that the bikes do not blow the packing out like this, remember this is a stock genuine yamaha original can with baffles etc, not an aftermarket race can. Surely on the bike it is designed to last many tens of thousands of miles. So a bit 'baffling' that the car has blown it to bits in next to no time.

Unfortunately the R1 cans are not really repackable, and with the mods you have to make to them its no fun to have to change it every 12months!

My engine is a 2.0l Vx. Thanks

It's all very well fitting it to a bike engined car but.

I run a carbon motorbike can with a zetec on standard injection system. As is a 2 14" diameter I had to have a stepped pipe made up to connect it but my local pipe merchany knocked it up for a tenner.

At tick over its utterly silent and can be driven very quitely when needed, but at full chat I supect it would be borderline at the more picky tracks. (I've never had it measured). Bear in mind I have standard injection system which probably quitens things down a fair bit. Its repackable so if I start getting louder I'll just refill it.

Something to think about - I doubt they would hold up to much flame spitting it would probably get blown to bits and I've even heard carbon is flamable.

For my purposes I well chuffed with it - ultra light, looks different and I like the noise but it probably means I can't swap over to Carbs for extra power...

Ben

Something to think about - I doubt they would hold up to much flame spitting it would probably get blown to bits and I've even heard carbon is flamable.

What like Coal................ :p  :D  :D  :D

I'll get me coat.......................

Al does yours ever go "BANG!!!!!!" on the downchange/overrun? Mine has just started to do it. Scared the living daylights out of the first time. I reckon it is probably flaming as well but haven't driven it at night yet with someone following so can't know for sure ....

Nick