Hard tops

Snaggra

Have a look at the orange Westie hard top prototype. The doors there look substantial enough for a sports car, wouldn't you say? It can't be that much harder than getting in with the weather gear on.

Admittedly, something I've never had to do

• Like 1

It can't be that much harder than getting in with the weather gear on. Admittedly, something I've never had to do

I imagine it is indeed very similar to getting in with the weather gear on. i.e. flipping impossible ! :sheep:

Any sort of weather gear on a Westfield should be banned in my opinion (unless it's parked up in a monsoon like my avatar)

If a soft southern shandy drinker like myself can drive without weather gear, then there really is no excuse :p

Have a look at the orange Westie hard top prototype. The doors there look substantial enough for a sports car, wouldn't you say? It can't be that much harder than getting in with the weather gear on.

Admittedly, something I've never had to do

Hmmm...remember that the car is smaller to start off with and there are an awful lot of people here who know how hard it is to get into a weather-geared Westie.  It's also as much about the angle of entry as it is about the size :oops:  :blush: -  in a "normal" sports car, the door goes all the way to the bottom of the car so you can just slide yourself in, whereas in the Westy, you have to step up and over the bodywork. I'm 5'2 and not rotund and I have difficulty getting into a weather-geared Westy - I have no trouble getting into a Boxster; I'm afraid you really can't compare the two   :0  :0  :0

Well, maybe my choice of example was a little weak. How about a Ford GT40, which there are a number of replicas of. That ain't easy to get into.   :p

It also seems to me like the doors on the orange westie go down further than usual. What do you think?

As for SEiGHT being a southern shandy drinker, I be a northern bitter drinker, and dunt 'alf get cold up north! :D  (As for monsoons, a regular occurence! )

GT40's have a wide sill and a gearlever to negotiate too. Makes them hard to get in to. Not harder or easier than a roofed Westfield, just a different set of anatomical challenges.

The hard top door may look bigger, but it almost certainly overlaps the door sill, making the available hole that you climb through pretty small. Either way, the chassis isn't modified in any way to make the door aperture bigger for the hard top.....

Getting in a roofed Westfield isn't hard, just awkward, The taller you are, the more awkward it is. I should imagine the same goes for a GT40/Ultima etc etc. However, attempting a comparison with anything else is futile, 'cos nothing else compares, except maybe a C******m, or a Dax.........

Bottom line is that even for an everyday car, it's do-able without a roof, so long as you buy appropriate clothing. A Westfield with no carpets or cloth seats will be fine in most weathers. Of course, carpets and cloth seats will be affected by water, to a far greater degree than ally/powder coated panels and vinyl seats.....

Getting in a roofed Westfield isn't hard, just awkward, The taller you are, the more awkward it is. I should imagine the same goes for a GT40/Ultima etc etc

Erm, not quite... If you're tall and try and get in a GT40 replica you get decapitated when you try and shut the door. I know, I've tried. Several times... :(:(:(

So, we have established that a hooded westy is no harder to get into than some other kit cars. How easy it is is another matter :)   !

Is Blatman suggesting that a hooded westie, hard or soft would be difficult/impossible to live with? Bearing in mind the rather variable British weather.

I admit that you could carry the hood in the boot for bad weather when driving. But the hood does not provide the same security as a hard top. Nor does it shield a car in a car park. You did suggest getting a weather-proof interior, but, if a want a wet bum I'll go buy a bike!  ;)

Trust me, you'll be getting a wet :arse: even with the hood up........

I don't own a roof. I use a tonneau cover when parked up, which can be zipped up in halves, so it can cover the passenger area when I'm on my own. Other than that, a set of Baleno unlined waterproof trousers on my bottom half (which I also use on my bike, and which I owned anyway.....), and any sort of waterproof jacket on top means I stay as dry as anyone using a hood, except that I didn't spend twenty minutes trying to put it up while it's p******** down. I also run no risk of breaking the screen if it's cold and the hood is a little stiff.......

The *only* time a hood has any real benefit IMHO, is when you're stationary or in slow moving traffic, and it's raining hard. In those circumstances, my passenger holds a brolly up. This is fine at up to about 10mph. You do get some funny looks though....... If I'm on my own, my hat/head gets a little damp, but only if I'm wearing one of my jackets that doesn't have a hood..........

Net result is, even my :arse: is dry..........

Hoods are not impossible to live with, but there is not enough true benefit in them for me to want to own one..........

Interesting... So, exactly how effective would a hood be at speed (I don't own one :( ) Are they really as tricky as you say to put up? Why do people bother? :0

So, exactly how effective would a hood be at speed

They aren't water tight... water can get up the gap inbetween the door and the scuttle. Water can also run off the roof and get down past the top of the door (or rather, get forced up past the velcor joint when you're moving). It's all very subjective of course, but you almost certainly *won't* stay bone dry. Also, in a car with the roof up, and the heater on to demist the screen, you can't demist anywhere else, so you won't be able to see sideways or backwards. It's a bit like a sauna, only visibility out of a sauna is better........

Are they really as tricky as you say to put up?

Again, they can be. In order to get a good fit, most people fit the hood when it's warm, and the material nice and flexible. Trouble is, when it's cold out, the hood will have shrunk a bit........ it can be a knuckle skimming job when it's cold, p******** down, and you're in a hurry trying to stay dry. Ooooohhhh the irony...........

Why do people bother?

Beats me.......

Erm, not quite... If you're tall and try and get in a GT40 replica you get decapitated when you try and shut the door. I know, I've tried. Several times... :(:(:(

You've decapitated yourself several times? That's impressive!

:t-up:

Andy

Why do people bother?

Beats me.......

Me too.

I have a hood for mine (came with the car). It's been sat in our spare room now for nearly 18 months. Before that, it sat in the garage of the previous owner for several years.

It was a good selling point for that particular car when I bought it, but now I have the car I have no intention of using it.

The only way I can get into my Westy is to stand in the footwell. God knows how I'd ever get in and out with a hood...

I carry the tonneau however, it's handy when parked up.

Andy

TimD has many heads. He's from Norfolk.............

Ah, ok. All becomes clear now.

No wonder he can't get in a GT40.

Andy