What car ?

Colin H

5 minutes ago, Euan Hoosearmy said:

Engines give character. It's a 600kg car so even a crossflow is going to feel quick. I wouldn't say avoid any particular engine, but try to keep with the "normal" ones. Crossflow, Pinto, Zetec (silvertop and blacktop), Vauxhall redtop.

There's enough old Fords around to get parts, we did a head refresh on my wife's vales(1.6 not in a Westfield) this time last year and the only part we struggled to get were valves.

Something else to think about is fuelling, do you want carbs or FI? 

The other question is how much power do you want and how much do you want to spend to get it....? 

Bike engines are a very different creature - I'll let some of the BEC folk talk about them as I have zero experience of bike engines in cars, in bikes yes.....

Thanks.Likewise know nothing about bike engines so probably sensible to go with more normality. I like the sound of twin carbs although the reliability of FI has its own benefits I suppose. Coming from a 370z but huge power is not a priority for me , will feel quick enough I’m sure and more about the driving experience through the Yorkshire moors (if we ever get any sun of course) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jaykay42 said:

Hi!

I'm 6'4" with most of that height in the legs - unfortunately also paired with huge feet of size 14UK. 

I had to try a few cars before I found one that fits me - top mounted (hanging) pedals really help, widebody and the Type 9 gearbox which seems to offer more space in the foot well.

I sat or tried to sit in some which were just too small, despite on paper having that very spec. Try a few, none seem to be identical - no major surprise in a kit car, I guess.

My floors are not lowered, by the way.

Good luck !

Good to know. Thank you.

Obviously I’d add a V8 to the list. Biased but they are fantastic to drive. 

• Like 2

I'm 6ft 2" & 120kg with size 10s - I fit in my SEIW with lowered floors fine. Its got a roll cage now and can still get in an out ok. Its got standard Westfield seats on subframes & I sit ok height wise. Don't really have any issues.

Engine wise, I used to rally cars with crossflow's & twin 40's/45's so good engines. Personally I would opt for the more modern engines i.e. Zetec, Duratec or Vauxhall. My Westie is on a Zetec blacktop with OMEX TB's & Type9 and find it very good and performant & can get spares pretty easily. Possibly looking at £12-16k these days for a nice one, Duratec's tend to go for more. Have a look at what Toybox cars have got they usually have some nice cars, but you will pay a premium.

• Like 1

I bought my car from Toybox, an FW body with 2.0 Zetec on TB. Plenty fast at 170 bhp. They are very knowledgeable about different different engines/ configurations etc. you could go speak to them as an info gathering process rather than an intended purchase. Andrew and Dale are really approachable 

• Like 1

Hi Colin, I’m 5’ 10” & 120kg with most of my weight mainly from waist up (hark at me sharing this!!! 🤪) size 11 shoes (size 8 feet - only joshing 😂) and have my 1998 SEight SEiW (btw all V8’s are widebodied) - I fit in snug & 100 mile trips are comfortable with massive smiles per gallon. I have inertia belts rather than harnesses. Not lowered floor & standard seats but agreed you need to sit in &/or drive in a few to get your preference. Then post on WSCC under “Wanted” & set up notifications on eBay & Autotrader & check on here daily under “Westies for sale” it took me over 9 months to find mine but now I’ve got it I’m besotted. If it’s not too long to wait a visit to WSCC @ Malvern National Kit Car Show 1st June would be a brilliant opportunity for you to meet 100’s of Cars & owners. Good luck 🤞 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colin H said:

Thanks guys , looks like a wide body is the way to go then. Will be looking to buy early in the new year. Want a really nice one with good bodywork. Up to 14k but preferably less if possible. Any tips on what to look out for would be appreciated. Unless factory built I guess the quality varies quite a bit. Engine wise is the zetec more desirable than the pinto or cross flow? See a few with bike engines as well. 

I certainly wouldn’t dismiss non factory builds, although I brought an factory built ex-demo - a lot of home builds have massive attention to details - the history & build photo evidence I believe is key & of course post build service history, MOT’s, mileage, plus having plenty of time with the car & a decent test drive is vital. 👍

Hi and welcome @Colin H, I'm somewhere on the "freakishly tall scale" at 6ft 5, 36 waist and about 17 stone.

I had the same challenges and managed fine in my first Westfield (wide body with windscreen but without lowered floors) with a few mods. I removed the seat runners and fitted a quick release wheel with a boss extension which helped.

Before buying the first wide body Westfield I tried Caterham, Tiger, Striker and narrow Westfield but couldn't fit.

My current wide bodied car has the lowered floors and an aero screen which I find much better. My eyeline isn't obstructed over brows by the tip of the screen and I have covered over 300 miles in a day quite comfortably. The floor makes a big difference to knee room.

I've also tried the MK Indy with standard floors recently and while width is good, my knees were a bit close to the wheel and dash. I'm sure with a few small mods I could get reasonably comfortable though.

When I bought mine; 6ft & 12st I went along to Toybox and had a coffee and chat with Andrew and Dale.

Andrew took the time to explain the differences in cars and sat me in a lowered and standard floored car.

He helped me decide my minimum requirements:

1) Lowered or standard floor car

2) Windscreen to keep Mrs M happy and the kids.

3) Zetec/Duratec on throttle bodies

4) Q or non-Q. I originally thought non Q but Andrew convinced me of the advantages of a Q plate.

I ended up buying a Q plate, stnadard floor car with a windscreen running a Ford ST170 engine on throttle bodies. I LOVE it.

The original seats were Westfield Race Seats on runners. TBH the top of the screen was in my eye line but I have recently changed my seats to a set of JK Composites on runners. I now sit lower in the car and the top of the screen is less of a distraction.

My steering wheel is also on a quick release & boss extension.

• Like 1

6ft and 16stone size 11. Used to manage in a prelit westy with a well tuned xflow. Now on a widebody with zetec plenty room. Zetec as std is a quicker engine 

Thanks guys for the comments. I think a trip to toybox could be on the cards. Any others purchased from them ? The cars all sound good  from their adverts but then I guess as dealers they would right ? 

The experience and service is first class but you do pay a premium over a private sale. They have a long list of checks and spend time setting up the cars. There stock list is also different from what’s on piston heads as that’s just previous cars. They will also find a car in the spec you want/ budget etc. 

I bought from ToyBox. It’s the place to go if you want to look at a selection. As said above, you’ll pay a premium but worth it for the choice on offer. 

19 minutes ago, Colin H said:

Thanks guys for the comments. I think a trip to toybox could be on the cards. Any others purchased from them ? The cars all sound good  from their adverts but then I guess as dealers they would right ? 

I have a Toybox car and live about a mile from them.

IMG_20230720_200455_987.jpg

As others have said, you pay a premium but do get good service.

You will have to ring Andrew to see what he has in stock though