What car ?

Colin H

Hi all

Really want to buy a lotus 7 type car however at over 6 foot tall and large build I’m struggling to fit in any. Dax Rush , Tiger Avon I’ve tried. Is the wide body Westfield any better in terms of width and leg room? 
regards Colin 

• Like 1

Where are you, a local club member may be able to help.

• Like 1

We've had plenty of 6" plus members in them over the years. It's always difficult to talk in absolutes though, as peoples build varies so much. But you're not saying anything so far that makes me think you won't fit!

The only comment I'd add though is that it can be the spec/details of the car that make all the difference, in particular the seats and steering wheel. (And to be fair, that applies to the other brands you mention too.) Some of the deeply upholstered winged back and base style sports seats can make it quite tight for the larger drivers. Where as the "shell" seats - moulded GRP or Carbon Fibre with smaller pads on them can be both way more accommodating, and more comfortable for long driving stretches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Absolutely this! Sitting in one factory demonstrator etc may just not tell you what you need to know. Unfortunately, we're at that time of year where you don't get so many Westfields out at area meets, due to weather, salted roads etc. But, depending on your time scale, if you can get along to a few meets with a few cars there, owners are usually more than happy to talk through the details of their car, and to let you have a sit in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Live in snainton near Scarborough 

Thanks for the replies guys. From what I see and read some also have lowered floor pans. Need to sit in one I guess to see. I live next to Mathewsons ( bangers and cash ) so always looking there. Today I tried  a Dax rush with cosworth engine , got in but very cramped leg room width. Tiger Avon was even worse. Understand about the seats and thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

regards Colin 

35 minutes ago, Colin H said:

Hi all

Really want to buy a lotus 7 type car however at over 6 foot tall and large build I’m struggling to fit in any. Dax Rush , Tiger Avon I’ve tried. Is the wide body Westfield any better in terms of width and leg room? 
regards Colin 

I’ve worked on both the Rush and Avon in the past and the legroom and cockpit space particularly in the foot area is a lot less than the Westfield.

• Like 1

At 6'2", 90kg & size 11/12 feet I fit in my FW widebody with lowered floor and composite shell seats with room to spare.

I'm 6'2" and 14st with the tallness in my legs and I fit in my SEIW wide body with lowered floor ok.  Admittedly I have to wear sandshoes or racing shoes to use the pedals and would like a touch more legroom but I'm ok.  I have plans to switch to racing seats to get me a little more room at some point (other priorities etc) but just at the moment I'm driving it fine.

David

6'4" 12st. Fit in my widebody with non-lowered floor pretty well. Top of head is in the breeze but I don't mind. Winter project is to put an MSA roll bar on the car so the roll bar is above the top of my head. 

Current seats are Cobra 7s, am looking at shell type seats to see if I can get a little lower in the car.

I’m sure there are members closer, but you are welcome to come here (mid Lincolnshire) and sit in mine. If you choose the weather wisely, I’ll take you out to see what you think. 
Having a Westy and joining the WSCC has really made a huge difference to my life so my whole hearted recommendation would be go for it!!

• Like 2

Thanks guys , looks like a wide body is the way to go then. Will be looking to buy early in the new year. Want a really nice one with good bodywork. Up to 14k but preferably less if possible. Any tips on what to look out for would be appreciated. Unless factory built I guess the quality varies quite a bit. Engine wise is the zetec more desirable than the pinto or cross flow? See a few with bike engines as well. 

1 minute ago, AndrewBClarke said:

I’m sure there are members closer, but you are welcome to come here (mid Lincolnshire) and sit in mine. If you choose the weather wisely, I’ll take you out to see what you think. 
Having a Westy and joining the WSCC has really made a huge difference to my life so my whole hearted recommendation would be go for it!!

Thank you , appreciate the offer.

Engines give character. It's a 600kg car so even a crossflow is going to feel quick. I wouldn't say avoid any particular engine, but try to keep with the "normal" ones. Crossflow, Pinto, Zetec (silvertop and blacktop), Vauxhall redtop.

There's enough old Fords around to get parts, we did a head refresh on my wife's Pinto (1.6 not in a Westfield) this time last year and the only part we struggled to get were valves.

Something else to think about is fuelling, do you want carbs or FI? 

The other question is how much power do you want and how much do you want to spend to get it....? 

Bike engines are a very different creature - I'll let some of the BEC folk talk about them as I have zero experience of bike engines in cars, in bikes yes.....

24 minutes ago, Colin H said:

Thanks guys , looks like a wide body is the way to go then. Will be looking to buy early in the new year. Want a really nice one with good bodywork. Up to 14k but preferably less if possible. Any tips on what to look out for would be appreciated. Unless factory built I guess the quality varies quite a bit. Engine wise is the zetec more desirable than the pinto or cross flow? See a few with bike engines as well. 

Hi!

I'm 6'4" with most of that height in the legs - unfortunately also paired with huge feet of size 14UK. 

I had to try a few cars before I found one that fits me - top mounted (hanging) pedals really help, widebody and the Type 9 gearbox which seems to offer more space in the foot well.

I sat or tried to sit in some which were just too small, despite on paper having that very spec. Try a few, none seem to be identical - no major surprise in a kit car, I guess.

My floors are not lowered, by the way.

Good luck !

• Like 1