Going down a hill quickly

Mark (smokey mow)

Well done Mark. Thanks for sharing all of this. It’s been refreshing to follow a different build thread. 
I can smell upgrades  😂
Keep us posted on your next outing. 

• Like 2

Well done Mark. Did you have the tyres pumped up to their maximum safe limit? It makes a big difference to your rolling resistance.

Final glory fell to the team from ADP classic racing with the sister Tecniq car a fraction of a second behind them.

IMG_8897.jpeg.a1c55cc82eb222e1ce5eb4ff44f9559e.jpeg

Third place fell to the BBC Essex team who were in a car loaned to them by one of the countries most seasoned racers and our scruitineer for the day.

IMG_8847.thumb.jpeg.cfa85f5a0abf3c7edfa4ec242b440ef1.jpeg

The next few spaces after that were occupied by karts with two things in common, firstly narrow wheels and secondly no suspension.

The first I already knew when I built the kart and realised I was taking a risk, but on the flat course the narrow and also critically lighter wheels reigned supreme as they had the lowest rolling resistance and could be accelerated faster by their team of pushers.

The second point was less obvious to me but looking back the photos and videos I could see that I was loosing momentum at the bottom of the ramp and also on the speed bump because of the suspension compression. Despite the firmness of my suspension I noticed that I was getting more compression than I’d expected which was causing it to reach a point where the wheels were toeing in quite a lot. Clearly I need to raise the steering rack slightly and possibly change to an even stiffer spring to improve the geometry.

You can see the issues with compression and toe here.

DSC_7500cb.thumb.jpeg.ca3964abe0fa47e7f3f4bbd9e18987bf.jpeg

DSC_7502bcgotabitoftoe-in.thumb.jpeg.016040de74496a7ab7cb8556d8636eff.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Nic Chase (NICO) - Shropshire & Mid-Wales AO said:

Well done Mark. Thanks for sharing all of this. It’s been refreshing to follow a different build thread. 
I can smell upgrades  😂
Keep us posted on your next outing. 

They’ll be more to come in the future Nic. :t-up: 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stephenh said:

Well done Mark. Did you have the tyres pumped up to their maximum safe limit? It makes a big difference to your rolling resistance.

Thanks Stephen, the tyres were pumped up to 30 but that wasn’t the issue. Much like a flywheel heavy wheels and tyres are difficult to accelerate, and putting it simply, those with bmx wheels could accelerate off the ramp faster than I could. 

what did help me though was that once rolling, the inertia and kinetic energy would keep me going for longer.

17 minutes ago, mikef said:

Well done Mark.  Looks to be great fun.

I’d recommend anyone to give it a go.

it’s good cheep fun. Next year we’re planning to dress up too.

Great write up Mark and we'll done for taking up the challenge.

Do you plan on entering any more events now that you have got the bug? Maybe tracks that suit your design better, I was amazed how many events there are around the country.

4 minutes ago, djm said:

Great write up Mark and we'll done for taking up the challenge.

Do you plan on entering any more events now that you have got the bug? Maybe tracks that suit your design better, I was amazed how many events there are around the country.

we’re talking about doing Gt Dunmow which I posted about a few months back.

it’s a much steeper track with some big jumps and hard obstacles so it’ll suit a robustly built kart much better.

Certainly the plan is to do a few more events and Colchester again next year.

I’ll have a think for a while now but need to decide whether to upgrade this kart or learn from this race and build something even better.

• Haha 1

Well done! It's been very enjoyable following along with this. 

With regards to tyre pressures, a lot of research in the cycling world has shown that pumping your tyres up to maximum pressure doesn't equal the least rolling resistance. 

We used to run 100+ psi, and now I run 65 ish psi. Might be worth looking into. Not sure how it translates to moped tyres, though.

21 minutes ago, Dan Ingram said:

Well done! It's been very enjoyable following along with this. 

With regards to tyre pressures, a lot of research in the cycling world has shown that pumping your tyres up to maximum pressure doesn't equal the least rolling resistance. 

We used to run 100+ psi, and now I run 65 ish psi. Might be worth looking into. Not sure how it translates to moped tyres, though.

A pair of wheels is designed for a 90kg moped and rider so realistically my kart should be good for 400kg.

much like a Westfield I could probably run them with virtually no pressure and they’d still hold the same shape.