Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

Will have a proper look when back but that seems quite a lot to me.

IMAG0466.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

I was being diplomatic for a change. That said, it's a lot better than a standard Marcos Mantula.....  It was a long time ago, but I think I got that down to around 1/4 degree from end to end. Most of the error was at the end of the droop and it was far from linear.

Reminds me I really should try this out on my current project and see where it's at. Should have done it while it was still sat on the built table actually, but that ship has sailed.

Looking at it again I think the rack needs to move forward to straighten out the arms from the gaitor to the track rod end. The eagle eyed may also have noticed that I have reverted to standard steering arms bolted to the uprights.

I think the height of the rack is right as you can see I have laid the bracket that I cut off on top of the rack.

The bracket was for the supplied rack that came with the kit, but I have no idea what rack that was!

IMG_2742.JPG

Gary as a comparison these are the figures I got for my Westfields.

I make that 1.5 degrees on that side, so 3 deg on the axle (which would be 18mm with 13" wheels!). Rather a lot - low single figures in mm will be more like it IMO.

Definitely try moving the rack forward (even if it's not properly fixed) and repeat the same test :yes: 

I've been giving Gary's set ups bit of thought, but this is confusing me 

the top and bottom wishbone fulcrums are not in the same plane so my thought is the top and bottom balljoints wont follow the same plane as the hub rises through its suspension travel, hence it will have built in bump steer, I'm not sure if I'm over thinking this , just not sure why a chassis design would adopt this?

Any thoughts from those with more knowledge

Ok, update on bump steer.................

I packed the rack forwards using one washer on each fixing point then checking the plot each time until I ended up with this

IMG_2783.thumb.JPG.49bf646d60a85cd190cc25ac7ebac7c2.JPG

6 washers per side

The rack is almost straight now

IMG_2784.JPG

The result of the washer packing gave me this new plot on the wall. Blue pen Measurements starting from full droop (FD) right through 170mm of suspension travel, with X marking the spot at each measurement

IMG_2781.thumb.JPG.401fb999a8e5686d2f7c8ade2036fb3b.JPG

And here is the video through bump and then droop

Hows that now fella's?

@AdamR

@corsechris

Just now, AdamR said:

Looks looooaaddss better, good work! :t-up:

Good enough?

I would say so, gotta be well under half a degree total now? (As long as both sides are the same)

2 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I would say so, gotta be well under half a degree total now? (As long as both sides are the same)

I have still got to check the other side, fingers crossed :laugh:

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.