I can’t remember hobnobs coming out 

Just now, CL290005 said:

I can’t remember hobnobs coming out 

Only when the job is done ;)

Just now, KugaWestie said:

Only when the job is done ;)

Which job:bangshead:

21 hours ago, AdamR said:

Yeah sideways, like you are extending the hub axle. So if it steers, the line drawn isn't vertical.

Where would you mount the laser?

Centrally over the hub? Off any hub nut? Off the disc?

I am assuming centrally over the hub?

Anywhere as long as it points sideways and is attached to something that rotates when you turn the steering wheel. Gaffer taped to a wheel stud works for me!

• 2 weeks later...

@AdamR

@corsechris

See attached photo 

between 240mm on the jack and 300mm on the jack, so 60mm suspension travel we are seeing 14mm of deviation towards the rear of the car. The plot is 730mm from the hub

Opinions?

524ACE56-B470-4A25-B4A5-88603F378F5B.jpeg

I make that about 1 degree. I’m no kind of authority, leave that to Adam, but FWIW, personally I’d want it less than that.

It’s far from horrendous though, which is excellent news. Great job considering how little you had to go on. 

36 minutes ago, corsechris said:

I make that about 1 degree. I’m no kind of authority, leave that to Adam, but FWIW, personally I’d want it less than that.

It’s far from horrendous though, which is excellent news. Great job considering how little you had to go on. 

Thanks.

It will be interesting to see what Adam thinks.

Forgot to ask, how much of the available suspension movement was that 60mm, and if it wasn't all of it, which part of the travel?  If you cannot totally eliminate it, (or wish to) it's best to minimise it in bump, generally speaking.

Designing in specific amounts at specific ranges of travel is something I'd leave to the likes of Lotus myself! Way beyond my driving ability to tell the difference, or benefit from it.

1 hour ago, corsechris said:

Forgot to ask, how much of the available suspension movement was that 60mm, and if it wasn't all of it, which part of the travel?  If you cannot totally eliminate it, (or wish to) it's best to minimise it in bump, generally speaking.

Designing in specific amounts at specific ranges of travel is something I'd leave to the likes of Lotus myself! Way beyond my driving ability to tell the difference, or benefit from it.

It was a bit difficult as the car is not up to weight so hard to ascertain the position of the suspension when at kerbside weight. Basically it was wound up from full droop by about an inch, and the measurement started from that point.

The plot is taken whilst winding the hub up from the floor, so in bump.

It looked like the 60mm of travel was the total amount (or would be when a shock was connected), but again a little bit of a guess.

7 hours ago, corsechris said:

Cool. Lets see what Adam thinks.

Yes, come on @AdamR where are you ???

Ă—
Ă—

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.