• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

Really interesting to watch that, thanks for posting! Get on it Gary!

I made a gauge with a couple of chunks of MDF and a piano hinge, with a further chunk to bolt to the hub. Chucked it long ago though, so I need to make another. It was a bit clunky, but did work.

How does the laser pen record the toe in/out movement? I can conceptualise it recording the up and down movement, but am struggling to get my puny grey matter around the toe in/out conundrum.

3 minutes ago, BCF said:

How does the laser pen record the toe in/out movement? I can conceptualise it recording the up and down movement, but am struggling to get my puny grey matter around the toe in/out conundrum.

I think if the laser moves up and down in a totally vertical plane, no bumpsteer.

If it deviates from vertical, then there is bumpsteer

Correct @AdamR??

Yes that’s what Adam was describing the bigger the arc deviation the worse the bump steer

The arc is demonstrating the steering alteration as the bump steer moves the wheel 

So does the laser pen point forwards (or backwards) then? I had imagined it pointing sideways, straight out from the hub for some reason.

Yeah sideways, like you are extending the hub axle. So if it steers, the line drawn isn't vertical.

I think I will have to leave this for now and revisit it later when the engine and gearbox are in the car so there is more weight over the front suspension. If I jack the suspension at present it does not compress enough and just lifts the whole chassis up

You need the damper off to make it easy to move the suspension, probably easier without all the other gubbins on the car TBH!

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

You need the damper off to make it easy to move the suspension, probably easier without all the other gubbins on the car TBH!

That’s what I was going to say. Ideal time to sort it and easy to move suspension components with nothing stopping it going up and down. 

Ah yes DOH

Good thinking men

+1 for doing it right now, before you put loads of stuff in the way :)  If you find you need to move the rack, say, it’ll be a right PITA if the motor is in.

Pop the springs off (and if you can, the bump stops) so it’s easy to move the suspension through the entire range. If you find you have to compromise, I think it’s generally accepted that an error in droop is less troublesome that one in bump.

You do need to start with the front suspension set up properly though. Make sure castor and camber are where you want them before trying to sort bump steer.

I know it sounds like a right faff, but it is worth it, honest.

So many volunteers to come and sort it - I better get some teabags in :d

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.