Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

I took the wife out for a maiden journey this afternoon. We went through the centre of Oxford and called in at the in-laws.

Lots of admiring glances, thumbs up, photos being taken etc in the central Oxford traffic.

It was a good test as it is a nice sunny day and reasonably warm as well as crawling in city traffic. The fan kicks in lovely and the temps were all under control so very happy with that.

Even if I say so myself, it looks amazing in the sunlight, I am so pleased with the colour.

179C8BC1-FB80-4A7B-976F-FA36CB861420.thumb.jpeg.de208f3c504a1b1d886e04a5a9000703.jpeg

AB3A702D-E0CF-4794-AF42-9A811FFFB20D.thumb.jpeg.bfb628475e5eb1dcd2a72c4796e4ce55.jpeg

EAC76866-9BAA-43EE-8898-3C4574691FD7.thumb.jpeg.a100820ac2a8b7267812b0236fb99720.jpeg

2549CBA5-D404-4F6E-A1EA-69880E06FB06.thumb.jpeg.64b89bcae77b0ffce81cfd2f4654e007.jpeg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

It does indeed look amazing! Is the colour as rich and slightly at the blue end of the grey spectrum as it looks in photos? (It comes out superbly in the pics regardless, testament to the shear amount of body work you and then Martin and his guys put into it.)

3 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

It does indeed look amazing! Is the colour as rich and slightly at the blue end of the grey spectrum as it looks in photos? (It comes out superbly in the pics regardless, testament to the shear amount of body work you and then Martin and his guys put into it.)

Thanks Dave.

It isn’t blue at all, it’s grey/green when you see it in the flesh. 

Oh, and this arrived this week, a little tinkering project 😂

A2F732EF-2B83-41C8-8E81-D46CA653650D.jpeg.3b8c5e43d67ea4934dacdf9ae989db93.jpeg

Lovely mate, well done! :) 

You’re not finished though...

...go update your avatar!

1 minute ago, KugaWestie said:

Oh, and this arrived this week, a little tinkering project 😂

A2F732EF-2B83-41C8-8E81-D46CA653650D.jpeg.3b8c5e43d67ea4934dacdf9ae989db93.jpeg

Are you fitting the engine to the pallet truck or the brown cushions?

Just now, Captain Colonial said:

Are you fitting the engine to the pallet truck or the brown cushions?

Scott’s been on the booze in the sunshine again 😂

• 3 weeks later...

I have been chasing a few gremlins the last couple of weeks. Now the engine has a couple of hundred miles on it I have started to stretch it a bit. When doing so I discovered a misfire/hesitation starting at 4000rpm.

First port of call was fuel. The fuel pump was pretty noisy. So I decided to fit a surge pot and a low pressure pump to feed the pot. I did this all at the back of the car. After this was complete test drives showed that the hesitation had moved from 4K rpm up to nearly 5k rpm. 

After some head scratching I turned my attention to the 123 ignition. I spent some time googling and managed to find the Rover factory advance curve and MAP curve, so I loaded these onto the system and tested again, no improvement.

I then turned my attention to the FiTech injection system. I plugged on the handheld controller and found a fault code of “RPM noise”. Googling showed me that this is fairly common. I checked my spark plugs and they were a non resistor style of plug. I changed these to a similar spark plug with resistor properties. I also checked my IAC settings on the FiTech and these were way off, so I adjusted this as well. I also changed the HT leads to some 8mm high performance silicone leads. I also added a direct earth cable from the FiTech onto the battery earth strap on the engine. The final adjustment was to alter the fuel pump settings under hard acceleration. 

After getting though that lot a test drive tonight for half an hour or so had me hit the Rev limiter a couple of times with a good clean pull through the revs and no hesitation.

When I got back home I plugged my handheld controller back on the FiTech and checked for error messages and there were none, so the rpm noise issue has been solved.

Hopefully that’s sorted it for good and I can get on with ragging it to death now

I don't know what your vocation is in life but your breadth of knowledge and skill set that you have used on this fantastic build never ceases to amaze me! Well done again.

34 minutes ago, djm said:

I don't know what your vocation is in life but your breadth of knowledge and skill set that you have used on this fantastic build never ceases to amaze me! Well done again.

Thanks 😊

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/02/2019 at 21:33, KugaWestie said:

Bracket made and fitted. It needs to come back off for paint and also I need to sort a strap out to hold the battery in the tray

IMG_3671.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG

On a recent run out and subsequent inspection I noticed that the battery casing had cracked in the corners. Closer inspection uncovered a loose negative terminal, so I gingerly drove home.

I then disconnected the battery and removed it, to find the casing was cracked in multiple places. 

So after doing some looking around for an alternative and groaning at prices I decided to have another look at the battery itself. I removed all of the casing and realised that as it is a lithium battery it contains no fluid, and it looked undamaged. So I decided to set about making a new casing/mount for it and also relocating it farther away from one of the exhaust manifolds, as I suspect that heat had caused the cracking on the original casing.

First I made up a block of wood the right size to use as a mould and covered it all in packing tape. Then I laid up 2 layers of chopped strand matting over it.

40C63B2E-32E7-4EAD-97B6-DC7C205F9898.thumb.jpeg.33b43f8afea75bb75dfc667fb5c49f71.jpeg

I left it to cure overnight and then struck it from the mould, trimmed it and sprayed it.

32573827-21D0-43D3-9D11-D25BF11B9378.thumb.jpeg.97d4dfe441eb37f1e4e0dd3a569ff9d6.jpeg

I relocated my battery earth cable, chose a position and fitted the battery in its new holder and fitted the assembly. Connected the cables up and all is well again.

C15C5EDD-B063-492C-AE14-63B74F62F3C4.thumb.jpeg.87f83aa0282de0fcccf8d4a2b7677976.jpeg

7D4CC8D3-93B7-435F-9275-4B57C4DCC470.thumb.jpeg.420ed9f603f5becac065db444b91e42e.jpeg

It is such a compact battery and performs so well, amazing really

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2021 at 10:34, maurici said:

Can we also Ban this random american that keeps bragging about being Ex chairman too?

Sorry to revisit this, but it’s been niggling away at my subconscious for nearly three months now and I need to address it.  It’s something I should have done at the time.

I can see how it might seem that I’m “bragging” about at one one time being MemSec and then Chair from the text under “Captain Colonial”:

D2A17D5F-6367-46A6-A907-A26175E47CBB.jpeg

The fact is that, shortly after I stepped down, the committee decided that because of some of the informative pinned posts in the Membership Only and For Sale sections of the forum, it would make sense if newer members understood why I’d created and pinned those posts, and what had given me the ability to do so.  They therefore altered my profile without consulting me to change it to that text and informed me as to why - and that their decision was final (although it was me who later added the “P.I.T.A.” bit, and rightly so).

I want to make it clear that while I understand and agree with why this decision was taken by the committee, and that I understand why @mauricimight think so, I am not “bragging” nor am I a boastful man by nature.  I am, however, immensely but quietly proud of the things accomplished by the committees of the day during my time on them, and of my modest contributions to the club.

Again, sorry to revisit this.  It just got bigger and bigger in my head as time went on, especially when I realised that it might not only be @maurici who thought that way.  I feel better now.  Thanks for reading. 😊

P.S. How I’ve not been banned before now mystifies me too. 😂

3 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Sorry to revisit this, but it’s been niggling away at my subconscious for nearly three months now and I need to address it.  It’s something I should have done at the time.

I can see how it might seem that I’m “bragging” about at one one time being MemSec and then Chair from the text under “Captain Colonial”:

D2A17D5F-6367-46A6-A907-A26175E47CBB.jpeg

The fact is that, shortly after I stepped down, the committee decided that because of some of the informative pinned posts in the Membership Only and For Sale sections of the forum, it would make sense if newer members understood why I’d created and pinned those posts, and what had given me the ability to do so.  They therefore altered my profile without consulting me to change it to that text and informed me as to why - and that their decision was final (although it was me who later added the “P.I.T.A.” bit, and rightly so).

I want to make it clear that while I understand and agree with why this decision was taken by the committee, and that I understand why @mauricimight think so, I am not “bragging” nor am I a boastful man by nature.  I am, however, immensely but quietly proud of the things accomplished by the committees of the day during my time on them, and of my modest contributions to the club.

Again, sorry to revisit this.  It just got bigger and bigger in my head as time went on, especially when I realised that it might not only be @maurici who thought that way.  I feel better now.  Thanks for reading. 😊

P.S. How I’ve not been banned before now mystifies me too. 😂

Fxxk Scott. Was a completely inocent joke. Really. I don't really think you are bragging and the explanation was, from my point of view unnecesary. However I can see I accidentaly touched a somehow sensitive nerve. Wasn't my intention, I promise. Glad you feel better tho, and sorry for my comment.

5 minutes ago, maurici said:

Fxxk Scott. Was a completely inocent joke. Really. I don't really think you are bragging and the explanation was, from my point of view unnecesary. However I can see I accidentaly touched a somehow sensitive nerve. Wasn't my intention, I promise. Glad you feel better tho, and sorry for my comment.

Thanks but no need to feel sorry, I got it was a joke at the time.  It’s just that in my head, I wondered if others who didn’t know, or others who were just looking at my profile in general and thought I was bragging and being a big head.  No need to worry mate.  Hope you understand. 😊👍

• 2 months later...

So the Cobra is now sold, time to introduce the next project. This time a restoration.

E0BF09FC-63E9-4CD2-8C37-FD662A67FF7C.jpeg

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.