R600

Muttleys V8

This weeks Autocar.

2 page spread on the Cateringvan R600, bored out K series engine to 2L.

Opinions on a postcard please ???  ???

(1 question, is it a kit car??)

Steve

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• neilwillis

• I.S.M

Slight bit of Autocar over simplification... it is a lot more than a bored out 1800 k series, primary developer was Judd, can't remember there proper name... engine development services or something :D

I found it a bit disappointing... it's nothing new, just a caterham with an ever more powerful engine in it (not theres anything wrong with that :D ) but they always seem to lag behind westfield for new ideas...

Fully Independant Rear = Westfield ~1989 Caterham ~ 2003

Wide Body = Westfield ~ 1989 Caterham ~ 2003

Bike Engine = Westfield ~2001 Caterham ~ nothing official

and what about XTR2 and 4...

exceptionally enginerred engine-just let down by reliability.

If it was, it wouldn't be un-reliable...........

I didn't think the 1.8 had enough room in the block to go to a full 2 litres ???

Are we sure this is a "normal" K series with a bore/crank job?

Edit: Martin beat me to it........

If it has had some crank work (stroking), I'll bet the rod angles are *really* crap. They aren't great in the 1.8 to begin with.......

If it was, it wouldn't be un-reliable...........

I didn't think the 1.8 had enough room in the block to go to a full 2 litres ???

Are we sure this is a "normal" K series with a bore/crank job?

I can't remember the exact details, but I have read something in the engieering trade press and I'm sure it was a lot more comprehensive than a bore/stroke job... something tells me the block is different... but I might have just made that bit up. I'll see what I can turn up...

Engineers are designers.....

Engineers are innovators, NOT designers........

I agree that engineers are able to design things based on their expertise, but designers they ain't.......

something tells me the block is different...

I suspect you are correct, as I said.......

Found it...

In December 2002 Engine Developments began looking at possible competition applications for MG Rover engines, and decided that a 2 litre version of the K series engine could have a number of applications. This started off our program to develop a high performance 2 litre engine from the existing K series production engine.

The K2000 program was officially launched at the Autosport International Show at the NEC in January 2003.

The announcement generated much interest (and skepticism) amongst visitors to the Show, and that interest has continued throughout the intervening period. Since our launch we have been developing the engine in various specifications, and have worked closely with Powertrain Ltd. and MG Sport & Racing, both of whom have been very co-operative and given assistance where possible.

On September 27th the K2000 engine in 220bhp specification made its race debut in a 2hr BARC endurance race at Thruxton in a works entered MG ZR. The engine ran faultlessly, powering the car to 9th place overall and winning its class. The step up from 1,8 to 2,0 litres meant that the car was able to fend off the mainly Honda VTEC powered competition that had beaten it in the past. This was a fantastic achievement in the engines' first ever outing, and confirms that K2000 engine is a winner.

We are delighted to announce that we have now started production of a limited number of engines that are being offered for sale initially to those who expressed an interest in the engine from the outset. We hope to begin manufacture of a second batch of engines at some point in the future, but this will depend on the level of interest in the first limited run.

The engines will be built at our Rugby premises using new donor parts from Powertrain and our own 2 litre conversion parts, so will be completely new engines. We have no plans at present to offer upgrade kits for sale, though again this may be considered in future if there is sufficient interest.

Our aim with this first development of the engine was to produce the highest performance derivative of the K series engine to date (with the exception of forced induction versions) without jeopardizing reliability, as this has been a weakness of many previous high performance versions of the standard 1,8 litre engine. We therefore wanted to keep the maximum power speed of the engine as low as possible, and have achieved a fantastic 250bhp with a maximum engine speed of 7500rpm. Maximum torque is 190lbft, a substantial increase over the standard 1.8 litre engine, which means that excellent driveability will also be maintained.

To achieve the increase in capacity from 1.8 litres we have increased both the bore and stroke of the engine, so have therefore designed a new crankshaft, piston and liner set up. We have also extensively re-worked the cylinder head in terms of porting and valving to achieve this power output. A new intake and dry sump system completes the major re-design that we have undertaken.

The engine is aimed specifically at competition or track day use. Whereas we obviously cannot prevent customers from using the engine on the road we will not be considering any SVA requirements in the design or mapping of the engine.

We anticipate engine deliveries to commence in January 2004, so if you would like to be one of the first customers with one of these exclusive engines please contact us as soon as possible. We expect a high level of interest, and will accept orders strictly on a first come first served basis. The sale price quoted in this document will apply only to this first batch of engines as we cannot guarantee to hold this price for any future production runs.

If it has had some crank work (stroking), I'll bet the rod angles are *really* crap. They aren't great in the 1.8 to begin with.......

Explain please Blatters....

I understand longer stroke usually = lower max revs, but longer stroke = more CC = more torque.

thanks

Mike

I must have been asleep the ast 2 years of my degree ey Blatman.

Who designs all the mechanical components in all industries and analysis and calculates whether they will work, and over what life expectancy-thus designing the component to fulfil its application.

And as an *ENGINEER* you are quite wrong.