Barometer repair

Richard (OldStager)

13 minutes ago, OldStager said:

I found that gag quite deflating

:getmecoat:

I'm sure we can weather the storm...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, OldStager said:

Thanks, I will have a think and a good look around the house for something that will be good enough to test it, failing that, as you say I will just have to wait till the weather changes.

There’s s good chance your fancy new (old) smartphone has an atmospheric pressure sensor in it to help calibrate the barometer. 

iphone 6S and newer have one. Ipad Air 2 and later have one too. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, corsechris said:

There’s s good chance your fancy new (old) smartphone has an atmospheric pressure sensor in it to help calibrate the barometer. 

iphone 6S and newer have one. Ipad Air 2 and later have one too. 

Thank you Chris, as it happens the phone that I thought was an iphone 5, when it arrived turned out to be the 6s, just installed an app and it works - thank you. Not sure if the ipad air will have it as I am sure it's the first of the type, was new in 2014.

3 hours ago, OldStager said:

Thank you Chris, as it happens the phone that I thought was an iphone 5, when it arrived turned out to be the 6s, just installed an app and it works - thank you. Not sure if the ipad air will have it as I am sure it's the first of the type, was new in 2014.

The Air 2 which does have the sensor came out in October 2014…so I guess it could be either version you have.

The model number is the key, written in vanishingly small writing on the back of the case, or from the SETTINGS, GENERAL ..  an air 2 is A1566 or 7

Thanks Chris, I installed the same app that is now on the phone, and it said there was no onboard hardware, or words to that effect. No bother as at least the phone has.

I don't think this mech barometer is working afterall and it's the pressure vessel that's faulty, of course the mech device may not be as sensitive as the phone app, but I have a feeling it won't work. The needle has not moved from where I set it to yesterday.

• Sad 1