Barometer repair

Richard (OldStager)

Yesterday I was given a family airloom, and as a child I remember my grandad tapping its glass every morning, after he died my Auntie took it over where for many years it gave good service,  now she has gone also I asked if no one else in the family wanted it could I look after it please.

Sadly it no longer works, So I wondered who or where to take it to, I don’t mind having a go myself, but don’t want to wreck it

Any ideas folks ?.D71E852D-3318-44A0-B782-DB320E9D584E.thumb.jpeg.32f5b4877b386a679335d10f0cfedc71.jpeg

Thanks Jeff, I have done a bit of online searching, I think the family have had someone look at it already, as they said the internal spring has bust. 

The irony is that my grandad who it used to belong to was an horogist, sadly he never passed on his skills to me. It does have 3 brass screws to gain access inside, if I am brave enough I will take a look.

This man is local to me.  Peter works out of his house in Warwick, but gets around all over the country doing jobs.  He just fixed a circa 1900 mantle clock for me.  Best of all, he’s a petrolhead and a thoroughly nice gentleman.  Worth a call after the New Year 👍

http://www.antiqueclocksandbarometers.net

• Thanks 1

Ah thank you, I may take a peek and if it looks an easy repair I will have a go, if not I will leave it to an expert. It's an old dirty thing but I can't just chuck it away, it means so much to me .

CarSOS for old house items.

They wouldn’t be interested I wouldn’t think as I don’t own a Tv, So I don’t have a Licence. However they do write to me once a month, bless em 😆.

I will take a look at it tomorrow and take it from there.

What have you got to lose and most times with these mechanical instruments a thorough clean and lubrication with thin oil does wonders.

In the good old days with auctions I used to buy lots of dud machines with very few of them needing major works to get going again, mostly just siezed spindles.

Major tip, always disassemble on a large piece of preferably white paper as it saves many hours of scrabbling around trying to find a miniscule part and have a suitable container ready. I'm sure you know this already but doesn't hurt to remind.

• Thanks 1

Oh, I have no issues at least looking to see what might be wrong with it, but if it is the main spring that would kind of put the brakes on a bit as I don't have any of those fine hair springs, not looked at it yet but I suspect it's the sort of spring that I am not going to have lying around as a spare.

Will look later and report back.

I would think that in a barometer whose needle has stopped moving, the pressure vessel / bellows device has been ruptured.  When they're made, there is a small capsule which is sealed at a known atmospheric pressure, and it expands and contracts due to atmospheric pressure changes.  The springs, levers, arms and other gubbins are all there to change a miniscule change in volume of the capsule into a rotary movement in the needle.  

Of course, there's also a chance that the mechanical gubbins have come adrift from either the capsule or the needle. 

They're very simple devices (in principle), so it shouldn't take much to fix; cleaning is likely to be the biggest job!

Well just opened it up, and just as Iain has mentioned just now there are indeed a sealed spiral tube,together with a small hair spring and various lever arms.

The first thing that was obvious was that one of the arms of a level has become unattached from where it should be - Trouble is not sure where it is supposed to attach to.

Wether this is the reason for it’s failure I am not sure of yet, I can’t see where is goes, there are a few splatter marks f,rom where it was soldered to, but no obvious position it fixed to.49998518-7EDE-49F4-824B-FB6C49D39E97.thumb.jpeg.7e6c00c003c08c3cba11c83dfcf2af3f.jpeg

7CE29AF8-1C63-4232-847B-0379F67D01DE.jpeg

• Like 1

The hair spring appears to be intact, as for the sealed spiral tube I have no clue yet