2.0 Zetec Upgrade Info

Kingster

Comparing apples with apples that graph compared to yours the wheel torque is the same but whp it's 20 low to yours. To me that would point to a restriction.my backbox did have to be gutted but wondering if there's a difference in stock diameters? If (next winter) I decide to change it I'd imagine from collector you would add half inch? 

Really nice torque number ! 

I have similar setup (well , engine was not new)  Catcams 2290317 , ported head, ITB 45, 4-1 exhaust just smaller motorcycle silencer, and achiewed  228Nm (195HP)

Westfield.pdf

Would be interesting to see people's fuel maps!

On the same ECU,I'd expect things to be very similar on

the same configuration.Zetec,Omex and Westfield.

This is very interesting indeed.

Personally I am quite amazed that my engine (appears) to produce more power than it "should" - as was the dyno operator who was convinced the bike ITB's would prove to be a limiting factor.

As a matter of interest, I overlaid my graph to see what difference there was. Bear in mind, we are not talking apples vs apples though as the two plots are totally different.

So this is more a way to see that mine has a distinctly flatter torque curve and continues to make power  at higher revs because of this. Ignore the numbers, they are meaningless and this is in no way a direct comparison in that respect - I was more interested in the shape of the graph.

Screenshot2023-04-25at13_00_22.png.276331ca9136929c4d98fdf93ac548e0.png

51 minutes ago, MR.C said:

Would be interesting to see people's fuel maps!

daytuner.png.a3b44f9eafcaf648deaf541a5b67eac2.png

What puzzles me is, Blacktop (Westfield) with throttle bodies 170 to 175 bhp that's universal.

Piper 285 cam's are as hot as you can get on standard pistons, and they say 15 - 20 bhp.

That's 195 bhp. Which is very good from standard which is 143bhp ? a gain of 52bhp.

Personally i  find it hard to believe that throttle bodies and cams find you 70bhp.

46 minutes ago, MR.C said:

Personally i  find it hard to believe that throttle bodies and cams find you 70bhp.

Me too - and as I said, the dyno operator was somewhat puzzled. But this engine with just throttle bodies put out 185bhp so maybe it’s just pure luck - or two different lying dynos?

But it certainly goes well, which is all I’m really bothered about. 

here are the photos I took at the time - he first showed me the one with wheel figures and I was a little disappointed. He said “really? That’s bl**** good for a zetec!” and then explained it was at the wheels so showed me the crank figure to massage my ego 😁

AF22ED87-48EF-42B3-B05A-584A2AB30A6C.thumb.jpeg.8225f92a871e06651d61648510624241.jpegDA911255-9FBE-4C26-B42B-5891D9BA1F2C.thumb.jpeg.d3dd38cd8c1ab84d523574b5f21335b4.jpeg

• Like 2

Here’s my readout; standard zetec (blacktop), Jenvey SF throttle bodies, 90mm trumpets, Pico 480cc injectors and standard exhaust system.

8985F2FF-4AE5-4382-BA80-877E8679FAB6.jpeg.dcc108ba2619e0663f3696ab99e68597.jpeg

I was a little disappointed, I thought it might be a little higher.

I think there is quite a difference to be had between manifolds and exhausts.   If you have a cat it’ll sap power.  I spoke to NMS before building my exhaust and Troy suggested anything less than 2.5” would restrict the top end.    My first manifold was home made, basically 4-2 from a St170 and secondaries pointing the right way and same length and diameter as the st170.   The car drove well but it was not pretty.    Then I got a genuine westfield 4-1.   Bottom end normal driving power dropped off a lot, but it felt to want to rev.   I didn’t like it and it rubbed the mudguard so returned to the MK1 manifold.  Mine is just a        Standard 2.0 blacktop with omex throttle bodies after fiddle factors after mapping claimed 186 PubHp.   Plotting my graph onto a graph on the omex website the curve was very very similar  except mine didn’t drop off as much between 6500 and 7200.    Finally I bought a raceline 4-1 with 2.5 exit.   I was expecting a drop in low end performance but actually it felt better, and ran leaner at normal driving speeds which needed correction.  But it also feels to ‘come on cam ‘ and pull harder at higher revs.    I’ve tweaked the map myself looking at the wideband lambda.    It’s not been on a rolling road since fitting the raceline manifold but how it feels to drive the best it ever has which is probably more important than just PubHp figures. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

but how it feels to drive the best it ever has which is probably more important than just PubHp figures. 

100% agree. 

As noted, my figures do seem to be somewhat “optimistic” but I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to doubt the accuracy of the Daytuner Dyno and Damien is very highly respected amongst the BEC fraternity.  

But the bottom line is, the car drives brilliantly and at Cadwell running along the back straight it just breezed past another blacktop zetec running jenveys with ease.

I agree its how it drives that's important.

I once went to look at a Westfield with a st170 engine and that made 186 a opposed to

173 for the blacktop.(both on throttle bodies). Which sounds right as the 170 is in higher state of tune in standard form. 

Well let’s give you my story 😜 

here’s the dyno printout

4F4FE2D8-425B-4831-AD57-E7A84AEE0D5C.thumb.jpeg.0179b6c0b24cb9b1a5291f5755afe7df.jpegBought a crate blacktop off eBay from a guy’s unfinished project , whilst awaiting the swop over from a silver top decided to have the head ported and polished and got talked into changing the cams as well 🤣. Advised about Newman cams so visited the website, (if you’ve got 5mins have a read of the help and advise/ choosing your camshaft) went  with 270 cams rather than the 285s , this gives me more power lower down the rev range. When I had it mapped at Bhperformance @Rhett Turner - Black Country AOcar was there having some work done, if I remember correctly he had ARP bolts and 285 cams fitted , both cars delivered about the same top numbers but his car could rev higher than mine , Ben at bhp believing my ported head was giving me the extra over his higher lifting cams . But as @DamperMansays it’s all about how it drives😃 but for me changing my gearbox was more rewarding £ for £.  Cheers Andy

I'd say that's  pretty honest/accurate readout aeg.

Just showing how much harder it gets to find power as the numbers go up!

3 hours ago, MR.C said:

I'd say that's  pretty honest/accurate readout aeg.

Just showing how much harder it gets to find power as the numbers go up!

Ah so that’s makes me a liar using a charlatan’s dyno then…