2.0 Zetec Upgrade Info

Kingster

6 minutes ago, corsechris said:

I think it’s more complicated than that. There's a fixed loss at a given rev/gear due to friction of oil & bearings, then there’s a component based on load friction losses, which will increase as torque through the gearbox increases.

So, it’s speed and load dependant.

What I was trying to say is that I had my car on the rollers it made 200bhp at the wheels I don't know crank bhp but it would be fair to say its lost 25 to 30 bhp through transmission loss at max power, so why would having 400bhp mean its lost 50 to 60 bhp if it was a percentage at max bhp.

Cheers Tony 

1 hour ago, wizzer said:

What I was trying to say is that I had my car on the rollers it made 200bhp at the wheels I don't know crank bhp but it would be fair to say its lost 25 to 30 bhp through transmission loss at max power, so why would having 400bhp mean its lost 50 to 60 bhp if it was a percentage at max bhp.

Cheers Tony 

Because there are both no-load losses as well as load-losses, so as load increases, so do total losses. Expressing them as a %age of input (or output) power is not a terrible way to estimate them.

Those examples you quote are probably quite reasonable I’d think.

Interesting article here: https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/doc/1323611/file.pdf

On 08/01/2022 at 17:49, MR.C said:

transit van cam

Works for me - bring it on 😛

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great read 👍🏼 OMEX Throttle bodies and cam for my blacktop next winter…

• 1 year later...

Really have found this useful. The winter transfer from 1.8 silvertop to 2ltr blacktop is getting. 160 miles done on the new crate engine currently limited to 4200. I've got 45mm jenveys/3.5 bar reg/330cc injectors/stock westy exhaust. Just spoken to Dunnel and I am going to order the Zrv and fit before final tuning. Interestingly Paul sees the westy exhaust as good for 200bhp. 

53 minutes ago, Tomaky said:

160 miles done on the new crate engine currently limited to 4200

Noooooo! Thrash it 😁

• Like 1

On 11/04/2023 at 18:51, Kingster said:

Noooooo! Thrash it 😁

Haha 225 down only doing 300 then the oils getting swapped. Back to Dyno cam in. Repack the exhaust sigh and full powwwaaa

Glad I stumbled across this post as I’ve been meaning to ask this exact question! Much appreciated @Kingster for the figures.

I’ve got a blacktop 2.0 Zetec with Omex throttle bodies, I got Westfield to balance them after I completed the build but I’ve never had it mapped so I don’t know exactly what the current output is. I’ve now got a hot date with Northampton Motorsport in June to fit Piper Ultimate cams and do an associated remap - will post the scores when it’s done.

4 hours ago, Paul Baker said:

Glad I stumbled across this post as I’ve been meaning to ask this exact question! Much appreciated @Kingster for the figures.

I’ve got a blacktop 2.0 Zetec with Omex throttle bodies, I got Westfield to balance them after I completed the build but I’ve never had it mapped so I don’t know exactly what the current output is. I’ve now got a hot date with Northampton Motorsport in June to fit Piper Ultimate cams and do an associated remap - will post the scores when it’s done.

If you get the opportunity, it would be really interesting to get a power run BEFORE they do anything to it. Can't beat a genuine before & after comparison on the exact same rollers on the same day. Assuming nobody messes with the fiddle-factors of course, but given their reputation, I'd not expect that sort of thing of NMS for a moment.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Paul Baker said:

Much appreciated @Kingster for the figures.

No worries- just bear in mind that (as I mentioned) results on one dyno will differ from those on another and a dyno can be set to “flatter the punter” mode.

As @corsechris said, if you can get a direct comparison before and after, then that’s ideal. 

My own “before and after” was on two different dynos, so may be wildly inaccurate. 

Would also be interested to see the wheel bhp figures (I think NMS usually give corrected crank figures?)

• Like 1

Tommorow hopefully finished tune day. 

2ltr Blacktop crate motor,45mm jenveys/3.5bar FPR/dunnel zrv cam/Westfield exhaust (however they blew it too pieces so it's had the cat removed and and repacked). Sadly no comparison of bhp as I ran it in on stock cams and have swapped before final tuning. Any predictions? 

9 hours ago, Tomaky said:

Any predictions? 

How did you run it in?

What size injectors?

Who’s dyno?

Will make a difference to my prediction 😁

• Like 1

It looks like 190. It's making a shed ton of torque. I've not a final graph but I've a early one. Bit hard to read. The whp wht is bottom left. 

received_229507596338091.jpeg