Gamers, assemble

Dazz150

A few years back I joined a PSN gamer group called the OGC - Old Gits Club. It was supposed to be for sad old b******ds like me who are too old and slow to game with the more common age groups...and for a while, it was good fun with mostly equally crap players, but then some young whipersnappers who were actually serious about winning turned up and well, the fun left. Even then I was about 15 years older than most of them.

Purely solo gaming now as there’s little patience for a 60 year old duffer online and I don’t much enjoy spending hour after hour just re-spawning.....

I occasionally watch a bit of others gaming on Twitch, but not often.

/4 Yorkshireman mode on

My first forays into home gaming involved first building the computer, as in, soldering components onto a PCB, not plugging electronic lego together, then programming it in machine code, then playing space invaders and the like for a while, then watching all the effort typing in hex numbers disappear when you turned it off.

/4 Yorkshireman mode off

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, corsechris said:

My first forays into home gaming involved first building the computer, as in, soldering components onto a PCB, not plugging electronic lego together, then programming it in machine code, then playing space invaders and the like for a while, then watching all the effort typing in hex numbers disappear when you turned it off.

Very impressed! Had a few forays into machine code in the late 70’s and soon got disillusioned by the disappearing code or worse the chewed cassette tape! 

36 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Purely solo gaming now as there’s little patience for a 60 year old duffer online and I don’t much enjoy spending hour after hour just re-spawning.....

im the same. i used to be really good at COD. but i find nowadays if you dont keep up with others on it when you first get the game everyone has better weapons and perks makes it much harder to get anywhere.

hence why i just play single player games. dont even get me started on fifa 🤬

59 minutes ago, BenD said:

when you first get the game everyone has better weapons and perks makes it much harder to get anywhere.

Which is one thing fortnite does well. It’s a level playing field in terms of weapons every time you join in and any “perks” are just cosmetic. 

I much prefer the likes of AC, COD, Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted for game play though - but only solo as I’d not last 10 seconds if I played against an online hero!

3 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

I’d not last 10 seconds if I played against an online hero!

Yup, used to employ an ex telecoms engineer a few years back, he was a big FPS gamer, and devastatingly good; we all used to work away on site a lot, stopping over in digs. He wouldn’t even play if he was happy with the broadband ping times! And whenever he chose where we were staying, we had some of the most amazingly fast broadband set ups I’ve seen. - he was fast anyway, but if you weren’t on a blazing connection, too, his kill shot would already be coming at you, before you’d even seen him at your end.

16 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

Pub Grub?

Player unknown battle grounds lol. But like fortnite. But not as cartoony. Its where it all started. The big pvp 60v60 battles

I’ve got a discord Chanel for the family when we have a gaming night. I’ve set another one up for  ‘Old Codger Gaming’,so people can drop in and out if they fancy a rumble! I’ve tried to join the popular ones but it’s all a bit young and unfriendly! (OMG, I’ve just heard myself back reading that, I’m officially old :) )

Discord link 

https://discord.gg/YSwhmUFn

I've joined, not much on an 'Old Codger' (I'm only 20), but I'm not too serious of a gamer, just play to have fun I'm 'Gxskin - Morvir - Alex' (I have a couple of 'online names' but don't really like going by them, so I needed to cover all grounds 😆)