french enthusiast with a 1989 SE

FRENCHWSE

On 21/10/2020 at 14:41, BillyPee said:

but at no point have I felt that they were dangerous in those conditions, i.e. no sudden or unexpected loss of grip. 

It'll come...

I've had it when getting caught in aa torrential downpour on a dual carriageway on the way back from wales; kept trying to turn into the Armco, absolutely terrifying! But I've also had when going through a dip, underneath trees, on an otherwise dry road; the shade of the trees had kept the road surface slightly damp, was enough for the back to suddenly step out.

• Like 1

I think a lot depends on sizes used in the 888r.

I had them in 205 50 15 and I'd agree with everything that dave says above.

However I ended up with another set in 13 (185/60 fr and 205/60 rr) and they are like a completely different tyre. I'm no expert but am assuming the extra sidewall flexing is keeping them at a warmer temp? I have far more confidence in the 13s than I ever did in the 15s and currently am using them on wet autumnal Scottish roads.

24 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

It'll come...

12 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I have far more confidence in the 13s

Just got bitten by r888r on a dry-then-damp-greasy road yesterday. 

My confidence in them was very high and they felt absolutely fine right up until the moment the back end went. Happened on a reasonably fast bend with no savage use of controls or throttle and totally surprised me!

I was lucky enough to catch it - only scratched a wheel and cracked a rear arch from something thrown up under it by the scenery after some grass tracking action - but could have been so much worse!

• Sad 1

Damn Chris! sorry to hear that. I was lucky, both times could have been so much worse.

(Had them step out plenty of times in more, ahem, provoked situations, like trying to accelerate, etc, overtaking someone, but those were both minimal/light throttle situations).

There may be a point on the 15's, mine were 195/50 15", that let go with no provocation.

5 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Damn Chris! sorry to hear that. I was lucky, both times could have been so much worse.

(Had them step out plenty of times in more, ahem, provoked situations, like trying to accelerate, etc, overtaking someone, but those were both minimal/light throttle situations).

Got off extremely lightly. Funny but they were not stepping out at all when (ahem) provoked! Was a very odd one if I’m honest. 

Glad you got away with it had the same thing in heavy rain / standing water with r1r’s last year , yes it was heavy rain but it’s common up here, so binned them .

they had appeared fine in showers beforehand so I guess it’s what conditions you are out in. They were in 195/15

4 hours ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

Glad you got away with it had the same thing in heavy rain / standing water with r1r’s last year , yes it was heavy rain but it’s common up here, so binned them .

they had appeared fine in showers beforehand so I guess it’s what conditions you are out in. They were in 195/15

I had exactly the same earlier this tear with my r1rs . On my list to swap this winter

• Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 19:37, neptune said:

had exactly the same earlier this tear with my r1rs . On my list to swap this winter

AFAIK, it's some years now since R1R's were made, the "new" ones you see for sale i guess are the very dregs of the old stock.

My two sets of R1R's, back in the day, were absolutely stunningly good in severe standing water - I've never seen another road legal tyre clear water off the tarmac like them, HOWEVER, by the time my last set were wearing out, at fiveish years old, the performance had tailed off considerably, and it wasn't just the reduced tread depth on the rears. The front's just didn't have the same bite, either.

Sad to say, even if i could get new old stock in the right size now, I wouldn't as I fear they're long past their best.

23 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I've never seen another road legal tyre clear water off the tarmac like them

I'm back on 15s now and I ventured out the other day after storm aiden had washed through and I went through a lot of standing water, the Michelin ps3s gave quite frankly a rude amount of grip, even when I was 'provoking' them. I agree though the r1r does have a tread pattern that creates rooster tails comically well. 

• Like 3