french enthusiast with a 1989 SE

FRENCHWSE

8 minutes ago, FRENCHWSE said:

now with french registration 

98081146_820851711656904_7818204508793602048_n.jpg

That's good news. How painful and expensive is the process? Perhaps you could write it up on here, to benefit other potential French buyers/members etc.

• Thanks 1

Result!

And as Ian said, a guide for others would be fantastic, if you could help?

There is 3 ways of register a Westfield in France :

- Buy it new or already registered in France.

- Buy one overseas which is less than 30 years Old : You have to make it road registered with a lot of test (they will consider you build it and check everything.. takes years and a lot of money).

- Last way (and easiest) is to buy a 30 years old Westfield, correctly registered as a westfield (not the donor car ID) and to ask the FFVE (French féderation of Classic cars) a receipt to prove it is old enough to be registered a classic car.

You need an MOT, a FFVE certificate, proof of bought. The precious certificate needs : picture of the car (engine, chassis number, front , rear etc...) , full details (make, model, date of first registration...) . Once received, you can ask for the french v5 . it took 3 months for mine.

Can make a more developped article to show document etc on this last way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant, thank you!

Lovely car with the BEST engine 😜

It is always nice to read about Westfields being enjoyed overseas, so keep the updates coming.

I have the same grill as you, with a metal circular disc in the middle to affix a badge. On yours, it appears there is adhesive tape stuck to it (like one fell off). I stuck one of the Westfield badges on that (like the one stuck on top of your bonnet) which I think is a good look. If, and it is a big IF, the badge will come off the nose without damaging the nose, then you might like to consider relocating it? Also, you can get that badge in red which I think would really suit your car.

7 hours ago, BillyPee said:

Lovely car with the BEST engine 😜

It is always nice to read about Westfields being enjoyed overseas, so keep the updates coming.

I have the same grill as you, with a metal circular disc in the middle to affix a badge. On yours, it appears there is adhesive tape stuck to it (like one fell off). I stuck one of the Westfield badges on that (like the one stuck on top of your bonnet) which I think is a good look. If, and it is a big IF, the badge will come off the nose without damaging the nose, then you might like to consider relocating it? Also, you can get that badge in red which I think would really suit your car.

will look for relocating the badge. my next thing is to change seats to allow my father (72 years old) to drive it. i need to go to adjustable seats i have found a set of Cat S3 ones, they will do the job. i will consider changing cycle wings also to put smaller ones.

8 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Brilliant, thank you!

most of the time, the westfield bought in Uk are for sale in France for approx 12/15 000 €. correctly registered as classic car.

it starts to be difficult to find a correct one TO KEEP at a good price. 

have a look at this :)

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1785511038.htm/

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1774670518.htm/

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1783054809.htm/

most of them are still on UK plates !

• 4 months later...

Lovely! Is that a choke cable I see down in the bottom right left of the steering wheel!

No choke on my twin 45 webers, just a couple of pumps, turn her over and sympathetic prods on the throttle till warm!

Keep the updates coming!

Mart. 

Edited by Mighty Mart
right not left lol...

2 hours ago, Mighty Mart said:

Lovely! Is that a choke cable I see down in the bottom right left of the steering wheel!

No choke on my twin 45 webers, just a couple of pumps, turn her over and sympathetic prods on the throttle till warm!

Keep the updates coming!

Mart. 

yes choke cable but running single carb. next work is to change tyres for Proxes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FRENCHWSE said:

yes choke cable but running single carb. next work is to change tyres for Proxes.

Proxes?  No mate, they're too hard and slippery on the wet roads,.  Latest best road tyres for our cars are Toyo R1R or Uniroyal Rainsport. 

The R888 is quite an aggressive semi-slick tyre. Fine if you do much trackdays, but as a tyre for wholely or mainly road use not ideal as they aren't so good on a wet road. The R1R was a very good all round tyre on a very light sports car like a Westfield, but unfortunately no longer made. It's replaced by the R888R which is supposed to be good although I haven't had personal experience of driving on them. They are still very much a trackday tyre, but I think should be a bit more forgiving than the R888. 

At the end of the day, these are very light cars usually on tyres which are rather wider than the lightness would suggest as the ideal (!) so no matter what tyre you use, if the road is very wet then you need to drive with extreme car on the road in particular.

I have R888 on the front and R888R on the rear (R888 have been discontinued). I have used them on wet roads and in cold weather and I have not had a problem. Sure, some of the other tyres mentioned will provide more grip in these conditions but at no point have I felt that they were dangerous in those conditions, i.e. no sudden or unexpected loss of grip.