2 years before a hello...

Dan_G

Hello...

Bought a 1996 SEW 2 years ago and I've been lurking about here ever since...

As the site / club is so good I decided to become a paid up member... so, hello... 

Car is running a pinto 2.0 (maybe 2.1) with Type 9 box.

After twiddling a bit with the car, its clear it was built by a drunk chimpanzee armed only with a drill and maybe teeth to strip wires... certainly no solder or crimped connections to be seen... scary when you consider it was originally running an efi setup...🤷🏻‍♂️

It's had 9 owners since and looking at the receipt pack, its had £1000s spent by owners chasing electrical gremlins... with one owner fitting zx6r carbs and powerspark ignition to get it running ok...

... as for holes and cutting, everything was stitch drilled and gnawed on until it kinda fit... 😂

So yeah, its a project and I've sorted alot of the wiring now and tidied up the engine bay.... i may start a build thread...  heres a couple of photos... 👍🏻😄  engine bay before, old wiring i removed, some non soldered wiring and engine bay after.

Also a photo of my mates car and mine... it was after riding in his car i bought mine... his car is better overall... apart from colour.😋

I'll  be lurking about 😷

20180712_184156.jpg

20180804_115002.jpg

20180804_113508.jpg

20200228_211735.jpg

20200503_183800.jpg

• Like 8

Welcome. Nice to see another 90's SE being worked on. Definitely start a build thread so we can see your progress, it's already looking loads tidier.

• Like 1

Welcome and that’s a lovely looking car, you’ve made great progress already, keep up the good work 

• Like 1

:ww:from Essex.

Looking forward to following your progress.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club. Nice to see another sew 👍 I have the same but in blue with the same side stckers.  Sounds like you are well on your way to making it great. Good luck

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!  Great work and looks so much better already (not to mention safer?) Have you checked any of the mechanical's, especially the braking and steering in case the drunken chimp played with those too? I too am still finding some little delights from the previous builder/owners (3 owners BEFORE registered!) - keep at it, once you sort a system it is very rewarding (and relieving).

Hope to see some pictures of you having fun on the road after this CV is over!

• Like 1

Wow, twisted wires! quality! At least you've found them and hopefully you've not had break downs leading to discovery of them.

• Like 1

:ww: from sunny Somerset. Can highly recommend a build thread, great way to tap into a wealth of experience.

Engine bay looking a lot neater. Plus side is you’ll know your car inside out as well!

• Like 1

:ww:

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.  I'll be sure to start a build (restoration) thread and post my progress photos and questions.  

Now to figure out what protech suspension fits... *opens search function and types 'protech 38mm or 32mm bush width'*

On 05/05/2020 at 22:26, Paul T said:

Welcome, I've spent the last (almost) 2 years tidying up and rebuilding a 99 car myself, it's amazing what you find when you start digging....but equally satisfying when find a problem and fix a problem! 

Good work so far, keep it up 👍

Missed your reply.

Thanks, yeah amazing what you find... or should that be terrifying... lol... 😄

As you say, fixing stuff is satisfying.

👍🏻

Hi and welcome from another SE owner also with a pinto!

Don't forget to talk to Tony, @DamperMan before choosing suspension. He has done some brilliant work for many of our members!

• Like 3

Hi and Welcome and maybe catch up when the lockdown is lifted...

• Like 1

Ye ha another Aberdeenshire owner/car, welcome to the fun house  roughly which part of the “shire” ?......those “wiring” pics are scary !!