On the look out

Turbo_Jimmy

welcome to the club. i sold my mx5 turbo powered car last year. but when i built it i built it for 250ish bhp but left it at 190. it made for a great track car with plenty of torque where i needed it

17 minutes ago, RobH72 said:

I think Toybox may still have lovely orange and black car with a forged, race prepped MX5 engine for about 15k. It's got a full cage and looks a very nice build. Andrew also had a Greddy turbo kit to go with it for a bit extra cash. 

I seriously looked at it until I realized I struggled inserting/extricating my lanky (not to mention old and fat!) body through the roll cage with any semblance of dignity 😂

Be careful if you do go to Toybox.... I ended up blowing my budget after being seduced by a gorgeous Mega S2000!

Thanks for the info, 15k is a bit over my budget. But I quite fancy getting something I can tinker with to get me started.

6 minutes ago, EBD Engineering said:

welcome to the club. i sold my mx5 turbo powered car last year. but when i built it i built it for 250ish bhp but left it at 190. it made for a great track car with plenty of torque where i needed it

Thanks for the welcome.

Hoping to get on a few track days once I get one. 

ive had quiet a few fast cars..  trust me 200bhp in a west-field is more than enough for road use. anymore your either going to breaking the speed limit dangerously easily .  my 135bhp k seriers elise with short ratio gearbox was and is to this day the best car i have ever had on the road it was so involving, you used the gearbox properly and felt like a fighter pilot when you stepped out it in.the bhp, reviness of the engine and gearbox made for a killer drivers combination...     . my westfield with 200 bhp, with lsd , lightweight flywheel  is all over too quick to 60 through the b roads,, im nevefr thinking i want more ,dont get me wrong the  fear factor  of acceleration with 200 or even more BHP is fun, what im saying is huge power is not always the winning way to total enjoyment. 

any seven type car is a thrill to drive no matter what BHP.. 

that aside.  max BHP does wins in the willy wagging pub contests ..   

11 minutes ago, andyj007 said:

ive had quiet a few fast cars..  trust me 200bhp in a west-field is more than enough for road use. anymore your either going to breaking the speed limit dangerously easily .  my 135bhp k seriers elise with short ratio gearbox was and is to this day the best car i have ever had on the road it was so involving, you used the gearbox properly and felt like a fighter pilot when you stepped out it in.the bhp, reviness of the engine and gearbox made for a killer drivers combination...     . my westfield with 200 bhp, with lsd , lightweight flywheel  is all over too quick to 60 through the b roads,, im nevefr thinking i want more ,dont get me wrong the  fear factor  of acceleration with 200 or even more BHP is fun, what im saying is huge power is not always the winning way to total enjoyment. 

any seven type car is a thrill to drive no matter what BHP.. 

that aside.  max BHP does wins in the willy wagging pub contests ..   

@andyj007 Hi around 200bhp was what I had in mind. I think this would be more than enough for the road, but still give you a very capable track car. 

ive yet to get mine onto the track, hopefully when this horrible situation allows ..    i will say with 200bhp an LSD is a must , it just makes the handling - read as powersliding hooligan antics , so very predictable... 

6 minutes ago, andyj007 said:

ive yet to get mine onto the track, hopefully when this horrible situation allows ..    i will say with 200bhp an LSD is a must , it just makes the handling - read as powersliding hooligan antics , so very predictable... 

Yes the current situation terrible.

Once things improve I will definitely going to look at a few. Once I get one I will definitely be looking at some track days. I’m hoping to find the right car that has features like a lsd etc 

1 hour ago, andyj007 said:

somewhere north of 340bhp and open diff here... it's all about the one tyre fire 😄 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Would agree 200bhp ish is a good place to be. However, as has been said, consider gearing and weight equally with power - they make nearly as much difference to speed and make the car more invoving to drive.

For example, a 170bhp, 520kg car that tops out in 5th at 125mph due to a low diff ratio will absolutely walk all over a 200bhp, 600kg car that's geared to 150mph+.

Personally feel that the reduced throttle response of a turbo kills what our cars are about, but absolutely get that everyone has their preferences and it sure is a relatively inexpensive way to get a large shove in the back and a big grin!

9 hours ago, andyj007 said:

i will say with 200bhp an LSD is a must , it just makes the handling - read as powersliding hooligan antics , so very predictable... 

Respectfully disagree, I’m a big fan of the open diff for someone new to Westfields and new to taking it on track.

Less likely to get spat off backwards with an open diff. 

20 minutes ago, RussH said:

Less likely to get spat off backwards with an open diff. 

I find the open diff 'lets go' instantaneously, and such an upset in grip levels can be more likely to see the car rotating. LSD is more progressive in the way the grip comes and goes.

• Like 1

That’s becAuse you have the deft touch of a delicate flower. 

With my heavy handed, steel toe cap boot wearing inputs, spinning away a bit of power on the inside wheel is handy....

All that said, I now have a 3J NXG ABC 123 LSD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wait? You people use the throttle around corners? Crazy! 🤣

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, AdamR said:

Would agree 200bhp ish is a good place to be. However, as has been said, consider gearing and weight equally with power - they make nearly as much difference to speed and make the car more invoving to drive.

For example, a 170bhp, 520kg car that tops out in 5th at 125mph due to a low diff ratio will absolutely walk all over a 200bhp, 600kg car that's geared to 150mph+.

Personally feel that the reduced throttle response of a turbo kills what our cars are about, but absolutely get that everyone has their preferences and it sure is a relatively inexpensive way to get a large shove in the back and a big grin!

Agreed regarding weight & gearing - Mine is running 160bhp (zetec on carbs) and I found it easier to throw away weight than add more power. Bye bye heavy battery, padded seats, spare wheel amongs other things. My MT75 gearbox is probably not ideal too.

limited slip diff = with the back end off the ground, rotaing one wheel means the other rotates in the same direction right? rather then the opposite direction?