STAY HOME

tex

1 hour ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Im not to sure and realise all that ,but in today’s climate with people needing something to look forward to and mis information everywhere let’s stick to the facts for now .Its a plan of measures with a 3 week review .

The term lock down imo is totally inappropriate there’s no lock down for me ,I’m  a construction worker so  it’s a bit farcical, I can still travel to and from work (in my westfield if I want) ,an hr travel either way , still go to a shop once a day ,walk my dog  and exercise outdoors . I’m being advised to stay 2m away from others when doing all this .
So construction is  deemed Essential work  ? I’m not so sure .

Back to the brighter side of life China is now reporting that it will be lifting some restrictions in Wuhan soon so keep positive folks .

You maybe able to but conscience decisions will be coming by those as more and more people start glaring at others deemed non essential... Can't see construction work being essential unless something was going to ruin tbf... I work in the car industry which is still 'making' things and I'm sure we'd still be there if they could - A. Get parts from abroad and B. Shop cars out... Some are still there until today while the rest were sent home... Businesses tbh don't care that much about employees its becoming apparent who does and who doesn't.. They were talking about making ventilators... So we'd have to re-open.. Eh? Employee safety as priority?

• Like 1

Just seen BBC news stating large Sports retailer has now decided to close. 

Thank goodness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

As one of the co owners of a business, UNLESS things change, we fall between the gaps and as our field does include some services that are still considered essential, if we shut now, we have no help or support. So it's savings to live, and once that's gone, the street. It's as harsh as that.

Current situations are also revealing the snakes out there, we have a client refusing to properly speak and holding back a significant five figure sum. A lot of what we do can't be done remotely, because we're often the ones that have to set those links up.

Small businesses like us are desperate for the government to consider our cases, but ignorant screams about company owners and fat cats really don't help the case. We've paid staff from reserves and taken nothing as the owners. (And of course talk of relaxing corporation tax etc came just after most of us had paid it!)

I feel for small business and the problems faced with any event that affects normal trading. Most directors and owners of these companies put their selves on the line to make business work and often take the hit's just getting on with work. 

Fortunately I ceased trading in 2017 due to poor results but found all my employees new employment and paid more than the required redundancy packages so I have missed this incredibly worrying catastrophe. I survived the 2008 bank crash by the skin of my teeth but had to re-mortgage my house to do so and only finally paid that back in 2017, during which time I was carrying huge debts from customers stalling payments. These stalling tactics continued and was a major reason for ceasing trade as the normal terms were getting to be 120 days plus, with tactics being used to delay further.

I have extreme sympathy with all and the sacrifices we are having to make but we all must comply with the situation and be responsible  people.

We will be able to pick up the pieces living full and rewarding lives if we follow the advice!

• Like 1

im really annoyed that my actual place of work(not my sideline) is still operating as normal but the boss is self isolating for at least two weeks in his posh house. really annoying as that there are only 5 of us there and 3 of them are over 60 and lets say a little more vulnerable than most. we make parts for the turbine industy so arent classed as key workers but still continue to carry on as normal. they provided us with face masks and gloves and basically told us to get on with it. luckily im in the situation where i dont need to be there for at least a month. i had a days holiday booked to today so i rang in and told them im not coming back for at least two weeks. as i sit looking out of my bedroom window i can still see people walking along the main road holding hands and a fair few cars going around. so people clearly still arent listening. need a full lockdown and only supermarkets and nhs open in my opinion

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

need a full lockdown and only supermarkets and nhs open in my opinion

The only way to beat this imo. 

• Like 1

It's a really difficult question as to what is and is not key, my wife still working and going in, she works in a solisitors and solisitors are classed as key workers. The solisitors are working from home but for them to function they still need some support from the central office. I know they are looking at how some of these functions can be done remotely.

I'd generally agree that constuction could stop but if I was having home improvements and currently had a house open to the elements I'd want it at least water tight before work stopped.

There are far too many selfish and/or stupid people around so we probably face the prospect of a more strigent lock down if because of the few. 

7 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

One large Sports shop thinks it has to remain open as a 'key supplier' ?????  Clear legislation needed.

Boris did say he would shut them down though

The government clearly do not want to shut down construction sites, and I think the reason for this is the fact that so many of the people working in construction are self employed and currently there is no support package available to them if they cannot work.

The reason there is no support package on offer is it will cost an absolute fortune if they do have to provide it, so they are choosing not to in my opinion.

In this evenings daily briefing they were asked some pretty direct questions regarding closing down construction sites and in the main they side stepped a straight answer, stating they believe people can work at a safe distance when on site.

Major construction material suppliers closed their doors today after Monday evenings public broadcast, and this evening all of these major suppliers are opening their doors up again tomorrow after consulting the government today.

So construction will continue it seems

54 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

The government clearly do not want to shut down construction sites, and I think the reason for this is the fact that so many of the people working in construction are self employed and currently there is no support package available to them if they cannot work.

The reason there is no support package on offer is it will cost an absolute fortune if they do have to provide it, so they are choosing not to in my opinion.

In this evenings daily briefing they were asked some pretty direct questions regarding closing down construction sites and in the main they side stepped a straight answer, stating they believe people can work at a safe distance when on site.

Major construction material suppliers closed their doors today after Monday evenings public broadcast, and this evening all of these major suppliers are opening their doors up again tomorrow after consulting the government today.

So construction will continue it seems

I’ve just been told all our Sites are due to close as from tomorrow when an announcement will be made by the government re self employed covid payments .

Me and many others work under the cis scheme where our weekly earnings are taxed at 20% then we get the balance ,this is similar to the paye system and the government has all the details of how much we earn and what we pay how long for etc .There is no held back tax to live off and it’s clear re earnings and tax paid it beggars belief it could be that hard to sort out .

Just saw this on a Q&A on the BBC.  The answer is pretty obvious I guess, but perhaps worth repeating here:

"Can I go for a drive by myself to get out of the house for a while?"

Dr Peter Drobac of the Syed Business School at Oxford said: "The answer is no - we are told to go out to do essential shopping and go out once a day for exercise. The individual risk is low from driving around but the best thing we can do is adhere to the guidelines very strictly."

So I could tax my westie with no need for an imminent MOT, as 6 month delay introduced, BUT unlikely I'd be allowed to drive the westie as it wouldn't be essential travel unless I make up an excuse like 'heading to an empty wilderness to exercise safely'.

Once the legislation passes Commons and Lords giving the Police powers to stop and fine people (£30 to start I heard) what if you object and want to appeal with no Courts sitting?

2 minutes ago, DonPeffers said:

Once the legislation passes Commons and Lords giving the Police powers to stop and fine people (£30 to start I heard) what if you object and want to appeal with no Courts sitting?

...then people would probably ask why you aren't doing the responsible thing and staying inside?

In an at risk group I should be staying inside and doing the responsible thing, but after Winter the urge to get the westie out is strong even if it has to be resisted.

8 minutes ago, RussH said:

...then people would probably ask why you aren't doing the responsible thing and staying inside?

This does make me chuckle. People and businesses are now naturally looking for every loop hole in every instruction so they can carry on spreading the virus. And then they'll complain the government didn't do enough.

5 minutes ago, DonPeffers said:

In an at risk group I should be staying inside and doing the responsible thing, but after Winter the urge to get the westie out is strong even if it has to be resisted.

🙈

25 March 2020  Coronavirus: Briton, 21, with no pre-existing health conditions dies after contracting COVID-19 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-briton-21-with-no-existing-health-conditions-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-11963451

If ever we needed reminding of the seriousness of the situation.