Central console ideas

Tim Reid

7 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

As part of the rebuild, the analogue dials have gone, so I’ve moved the heater controls up to the dash panel, and the centre console now has all the ecu controls for traction etc.

The 3M Carbon wrap has gone, and I’ve replaced it with genuine carbon, engraved with the control functions, on the centre console. (I got the same guy that did the build plates etc to do it.).

Not fitted back to the car yet, but you get the idea...

5873F566-A72F-4B0F-A782-541F5E38C82A.jpeg

Omg I must go through your rebuild topic now... 🤔

Unfortunately I don't have any good photos and the center console is currently apart (engine overhaul underway) but hopefully these will give you some ideas.  The glovebox is fabricated from aluminum, covered with the same vinyl as the transmission tunnel and dash, then lined with a single piece of suede which doubles as the hinge, and a magnet serves as a latch for the lid.  In place it's very hard to see, so reasonably secure, and provides enough space for paperwork, and various small essentials when touring (sunglasses, sunscreen, small flashlight, etc).   

4778279_orig.jpg

1576720_orig.jpg

-John

glovebox.jpg

• Like 4

Mine's not so exciting (heated seats and USB charging only at present) but looks tidy and is set back so charging cables don't stick out.

IMG_6095.jpeg

• Like 2

Did everyone mount it behind the bar which is under the dash?

I've started with some bits of cardboard and want to use the bar for securing it. Infront I think would be too far forward.

IMG_20200323_173658.jpg

I mounted mine behind the bar so there was a shadow line that would hide the fact this was a lid and therefore provide some level of security for the contents.  If you don't have a lock, then obfuscate 🙂  if you aren't building a glove box like I did, then it's purely down to aesthetics.  However, a shadow line will hide fitment flaws and be easier to make it look good.

-John 

19 minutes ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Did everyone mount it behind the bar which is under the dash?

I've started with some bits of cardboard and want to use the bar for securing it. Infront I think would be too far forward.

IMG_20200323_173658.jpg

I made a u shape piece to sit on top of the tunnel with a rivnut on each side that is bolted or riveted  to the tunnel top, the switch housing was then bolted through the side into the rivnuts. I also made mine so the switch face was vertical.

This was my first effort you can see the bolt on the side 

20181125_143516.thumb.jpg.50d5ee2c90e5a33c2816ea0c22a03131.jpg

Hope that makes sense.

Tony

• Like 1

This one holds the phones....I have a project ongoing for a lockable armrest...

31ECF188-1573-429D-A2F1-83937BD3F4F5_1_105_c.jpeg

I bent mine over the bar. It’s literally just held by 2 screws at the bottom.

I managed to bend a metal plate and get it between the bar and the contoured fascia and then bolted it through the fascia. Z shape so from behind fascia, matching angle to the dash and then on top of the tunnel. Hope that explains it ok. 😀
Makes the finished new panel about 25mm behind the dash so not difficult to access the things on it whilst strapped in tightly. 

• Like 1

Mine is mounted using 3 riv nuts in the tunnel. The console has 3 slots to match up with them so I could adjust the position forward and back before tightening up the screws. 

Mines in front of the bar, two metal P clamps onto the bar, then hook Velcro on the bottom to keep it in one place....you can see the clamps in this cropped pic

300C3CDE-205C-4E6D-B7D6-9F3CC159BAB0.png.af7c65d77f8413cd2c8f6c32cdadfe5b.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Knocked this up yesterday, 12mm ply covered in veltrim, and a £6 stereo-delete cubby. It just wedges in, because I need to get to the main fuse blocks behind it. It'll do for ear plugs etc - defo function over form.

20200420_171714.thumb.jpg.4726c1b9ed040f17921a2e50620e8d55.jpg20200420_171749.thumb.jpg.bf591ea4936ecc3731e574375e34d0ef.jpg

• Like 4

Make a mock up dash in plywood first like our Chairman,  good for 4 years while you make up your mind on the final design.