I/T  O/T

Bananaman

A file does not have to be in the start-up group for it to start on boot-up.  There are a couple of places in the Registry where a file can be specified to start on boot.  Rather unhelpfully, I don't have a note of the locations with me.  I'll keep an I on the thread and if you haven't sorted it tomorrow I'll put up the locations.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Bananaman

• westy

• Westfieldman

Top Posters In This Topic

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

and probably the same keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Andy

Andy

Am I supposed to do a search for this

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
on the internet ???

Sorry for beeing  :durr:

Andy

I would strongly reccommend that you DO NOT edit your registry, seing as you don't recognise a Registry Key when you're presented with one.........

I would tend to agree with Blatman there...if you're not familiar with the registry, don't go playing around in there. BAD things might happen.

Look in your startup group (Start Menu -> Programs -> Startup) and see if there's an entry in there for Media Player. If there is, right click and delete it. Remember that you may have the OS configured to 'hide' Start Menu items you don't use, click on the two downward arrows at the bottom of the menu if you can't find Startup, and again when you open the Startup group to make sure you've got everything shown.

Andy

Is there a way of getting Win2k to display full menus without the double down arrows? I think I've seen it as an option somewhere but can't find it again.

Sorry for being o/t but you guys know what you're talking about:)

Right click the task bar, select properties. Turn off 'Use Personalized Menus'.

Andy

Mr Nana, go -start- -run- and type msconfig

Hit the big enter key

then on the furthest right tab there will be a lovely little list of what starts and from where in the registry.  This avoids the big nasty registry and you can click on the ones you want disabled from there.

PM that site you looked at and I will conduct thorough testing myself ;)

While you're testing, can you work out why avatars from your site aren't being served? :D

Andy

Are you showing the contrast? :D

(My avatar isn't on your site, but I've been talking to someone else who's is).

Andy

this is a strange conversation but ok.  Yes, quite a while back I disabled security access to some areas of my web space for work reasons.  Part of this would of wiped out access to avatars but as there was a service here I wasnt too fussed.

Ah, ok.

Might have been worth telling the people who had avatars there ;)

I'll mention it in the other thread.

Andy