Most Annoying New Car Features.

SootySport

My vote goes to ‘Lane Departure Warning’.  
Tried a Volvo XC40 this week, the vibrating steering wheel drove me mad and you can only turn it off for each journey, the warning defaults to On each time you turn the ignition on.  Otherwise a very capable car in the smaller SUV segment. I’ve managed to permanently switch off all the beep and buzz warnings on our current Audi and is just how I like it.

What new gizmos drive you bonkers?

17 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Electric park brake, no handbrake turns in the snow. 

Only in the snow? 😁

My vote goes to ANY so called “feature” you can’t turn off until you then choose to turn back on again. 

• Like 3

LED Lamps fitted to oncoming cars, despite me keeping my windscreen spotless inside and out and my specs just as clean.... I can't see a chuffin thing when they come at me.... and as for the blue flares of light on my specs.... well that's all I've got to say about that.

Nem........

• Like 1

BMW anti roll over system... anoys me a lot not being able to move the car with an open door...

• Like 2

Discovered this week after brake overhaul that our MX5 cuts the throttle when you apply the brakes. So I couldn't drive with brakes partially applied to bed the pads in

My car doesn’t engine brake properly - fly by wire throttle kind of takes over so that occasionally when you expect the car to slow down by engine braking, it “helpfully” increases the revs to stop that happening. Infuriating!

Start stop for me. On the current DSG car it's way too aggressive. Even pulling up to a junction it cuts out bl**** dangerous. It's not as aggressive when in manual mode. And as above cant turn it fully off as it turns back on again at key on.

Btw regarding the electric handbrake. What happens if you need to use it as an emergency brake? I've never been brave enough to try it. Even putting it on when just gently rolling it stops dead. 

My list of pet hates. 
1) that extra delayed wipe when you have spayed the windscreen

2) cars that put on hazards if you brake a bit sharply ... damn dangerous if it does it coming into a roundabout  and another car thinks you are indicating left

3) keyless / button start

4) electric folding rear seats. 
5) electric tailgate / boot opening

6) cars that use fogs with steering 

7) stupid profile tyres 

😎 mandatory privacy glass 

9) heated front windscreens that ruin vision 

5 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Electric park brake, no handbrake turns in the snow. 

Tell the lads at work what we all don’t like, at least a means of turning them off.

electric handbrake will be hard on to overcome.

2 hours ago, XTR2Turbo said:

My list of pet hates. 
1) that extra delayed wipe when you have spayed the windscreen

2) cars that put on hazards if you brake a bit sharply ... damn dangerous if it does it coming into a roundabout  and another car thinks you are indicating left

3) keyless / button start

4) electric folding rear seats. 
5) electric tailgate / boot opening

6) cars that use fogs with steering 

7) stupid profile tyres 

😎 mandatory privacy glass 

9) heated front windscreens that ruin vision 

I like that feature, there’s always a dribble of washer fluid running down the screen after a while,  you must have a VAG car.

On 08/02/2020 at 16:28, Nemesis said:

LED Lamps fitted to oncoming cars, despite me keeping my windscreen spotless inside and out and my specs just as clean.... I can't see a chuffin thing when they come at me.... and as for the blue flares of light on my specs.... well that's all I've got to say about that.

Nem........

2nd'd , how the chuff are those monstrosities supposed to improve road safety .

same thing with the coppers blues and two's , often get night vision blinded whenever I come across an RT "incident" .

Can see the point when there's an emergency or giving chase , but stationary at the side of a motorway ? they need to be toned down .

Dashboards that are lit up when not dark. This means that dumb people forget to turn on their lights.

Automatic lights. Dumb people assume they work 100% accurately but when it is foggy but bright they do not. So no lights.

Info screens that have several functions and use touch things, what was wrong with a button switch?

Zoned heating and climate control, it is a small box, what you do on your side is irrelevant as the wholde car is soon the same temperature