Digi SLR's

Bananaman

There is a name for the delay between pressing the button, and the shot being captured, but I forget what it is

Shutter lag?

We call it Slag!up here :blues:  :cool:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Bananaman

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Mike dB

Andy,

D60's are way over priced.

Buy a Cannon 300D instead, nearly the same price new as the D60 is secondhand, and offers hugely more facilities and better quality pics too.

cheers

Tony

Whilst trawling the web last week, I cam across a place in Washington DC who were selling NEW Nikon D100 body's (pro quality digital stills camera, but as a consequence they come without lenses), for just over US$1000.

Found it...

The Nikon D100 is very similar in spec to the Cannon 300D.

For amatuer use you wouldn't tell the differacne (apart from being £300 better off)

Carl :)

Seems *awfully* cheap compared to other cheap camera places I've used.

I'd check it isn't a factory refurbished item.  Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but it might offer less warranty or something like that.

They seem to mark "returns" with a piece of red text, to denote why it's so cheap, but I agree, a phone call/e-mail to confirm it's a "first quality" item would be worthwhile.

Infinity also do the Canon Rebel, which seems to be the USA moniker for the Canon 300D.......

Andy,

D60's are way over priced.

Buy a Cannon 300D instead, nearly the same price new as the D60 is secondhand, and offers hugely more facilities and better quality pics too.

cheers

Tony

I've been looking into this & if I had the budget I'd like a Nikon D100, owever the cost for just a body new is well over £1000 & a kit with a 24-85mm lense is over £1500. :(

The Canon EOS 300D seems to have a slight problem with it's Auto-focus (although this would appear to have been improved with this model ???) the price seems to compensate for this some what :blues:  @ £840 for body & 18-55mm lens.

£600+ seems a lot to pay for the extra.Camera Prices

I wounder if Nikon will be bringing out a more affordable model this year  ???  ???  ???

Andy :suspect:

Buy from the states if at all possible. The D100, with an exchange rate of $1.75 (which a mate of mine got last Friday, I think.....), makes the D100 a shade over £600, and brings the Canon down to £485.71.......

Edited to add...

Even with VAT and shipping, you'd get the Canon for well under £650, I reckon........

Buy from the states if at all possible. The D100, with an exchange rate of $1.75 (which a mate of mine got last Friday, I think.....), makes the D100 a shade over £600, and brings the Canon down to £485.71.......

Edited to add...

Even with VAT and shipping, you'd get the Canon for well under £650, I reckon........

Is there not a problem with warrentees with US bought equipment?

If not then THIS looks like a good deal @ £1=$1.75  :)

I've not had any problems so far with anything I've bought from the states where I've had to contact the UK part of the operation to discuss warranty issues, but it may well be worth asking first........In these days of the internet and "global shopping", I really can't see it being a problem, but do check.........

Do standard lenses fit on the new digital cameras?  Something about the focal length / film plane differences between the two media and thus changing the effective length of the lenses rings a bell?  Am i talking out of my :arse: ?

Scruffy

Do standard lenses fit on the new digital cameras?  Something about the focal length / film plane differences between the two media and thus changing the effective length of the lenses rings a bell?  Am i talking out of my :arse: ?

Scruffy

Most Canon EF (auto focus) lenses fit the Canon Digital SLR's, I would think Nikon lenses should be the same on Nikon SLR's.

A few digital SLR's have been designed so that the lens has the same effective focal lenght as it would on a 35mm camera. But most quote an equivilancy factor - about 1.6 for Canon. In other words, for a digital pic, the lens will give the same results as one 1.6 times longer would for a 35mm pic.  :p

If not then THIS looks like a good deal @ £1=$1.75  :)

Warranties are an issue - you'd need to send it back to the US for warranty work.

And that price is expensive.  Seen it on B&H and Adorama for about $300 less than in Ritz.

Do standard lenses fit on the new digital cameras?  Something about the focal length / film plane differences between the two media and thus changing the effective length of the lenses rings a bell?  Am i talking out of my  ?

Gadgetman as answered that, However, don't assume a lens bought with the 300D will work with a film canon slr. I think the lens design is specific for the smaller sensor size. ie smaller and cheaper than the equivenlent film lens but not backward compatible. Not sure where I got that from so could be out of my :arse: but be careful.

Toby