Digi SLR's

Bananaman

Any thoughts on the Canon D60 Digital SLR Camera ?

I would quite like a camera for the up & comeing season to catch all the action & this look like a nice TOY :) .

I've seen one with a Canon 28-105MM F/4-5.6 USM EF LENS on Ebay for around £750 (Recon camera & new lens)

Question is, is this a good camera & is this good value ???

Andy :suspect:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Bananaman

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Mike dB

What you want is a Nikon or at least a Nikon lense compatible camera :D

not much use I know but what the hell  :devil:

WHY  ???

You can read a review of it on DP Review here:

Canon D60 review

You can do a compare of the features of the camera against the newer models (the D60 is now discontinued) and see if you'd be better off with a newer model or not.

I recommend that anyone thinking of buying a digitial camera should always check this site first, especially if you are planning on buying from those knowledgable people in your local retail park...

:durr:

Nikon lenses are the DBs, that's why! ;)

:p  As are Canon  :D

A huge number of pro's seem to use the Canon range.

Long and short of it is both Canon and Nikon are excellent SLR/lens makers, try examples of both, see what you prefer!  :)

Had a look at the new Canon 300D the other day, seems excellent, though the plastic body makes it feel a bit light compared to what I'm used to.

Whilst trawling the web last week, I cam across a place in Washington DC who were selling NEW Nikon D100 body's (pro quality digital stills camera, but as a consequence they come without lenses), for just over US$1000. With the current weak dollar, it worked out to just over 500 quid. I'm nowhere near being a keen snapper, but at that money, I'm tempted. Nikon lenses are common second hand, so I'm sure that you could have an excellent set up for less than the asking price of the Canon. There's be some shipping hoops to jump through, unless you have a friend in the States............

Canons D60 was a very poor performer with Auto-focus - I found it unuseable with any action work!

You would be much better off looking at a Nikon D100 or a Canon 10D - although beware some of the Canon 10D's have problems with front focusing!

As for lens, its regarded as though THE best lenses in the world are Nikon lenses, but to be honest I doubt theres much in it, apart from some of the Canon lenses are plastic and cheap!

Be very careful buying outside of Europe as you wont have any warranty on the camera. For example if you buy a camera in the US your warranty will be a US warranty so any problems and you will have to ship it back there! Also consider there is import VAT to pay on a camera from abroad!

I am a pro photographer so I tend to know alittle bit about these things!

If you want any more info please feel free to contact me

Cheers

Kevin

Have just purchased the EOS 300D and cannot recomend it highly enough for amatuer use.

Jessops will print the photo's for approx 20p each (7*5) and I cannot tell the differance from my EOS 600.

£900 if I remember.

Carl

The only good reason for choosing Nikon over Canon is the fact that Canon lenses focus backwards!

If you have no preference in that respect, Canon optics are just as good.

Here speaks an ex newspaper Pro

;)

That lens is a little slow, but all zooms tend to be anyway.

The delay between pressing the button and catching the shot drives me mad on my Fuji. For action shots I break out my 1976 Rolleiflex 35SLR. ???

The delay between pressing the button and catching the shot drives me mad on my Fuji. For action shots I break out my 1976 Rolleiflex 35SLR. ???

I'm kinda assuming that with a PRO camera there will be little or NO delay, am I assuming tooooooo much. ???

No, you aren't assuming too much. There is a name for the delay between pressing the button, and the shot being captured, but I forget what it is. Also consider how long it takes for the camera to be ready to take a picture from when it's powered up.......