Bathroom mould. Prevention advice?

TableLeg

2 minutes ago, Snags said:

Generally heating in a small bathroom is not an issue when there is adequate heating in the rest of the building. What is important is adequate ventilation(especially in rooms where water vapour is produced) because insulation, building materials etc. have virtually made buildings airtight.

Not that many years ago central heating was only for the rich, ventilation fans only for factories, and steel framed window were normal (let alone double glazing).

Should have finished with that condensation was not such an issue as window etc leaked ventilation air around freely.

Stop having hot showers, a cold shower is much healthier! 😄😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

Thanks Andrew,

So you would suggest more insulation in the loft space above the bathroom in the first instance?

Yep. Double it. 
With regards to heating - have you thought about underfloor electric heating?  The system will suggest running costs of 1p a day but it is more likely to be 5p a day. Nice form of heating. Goes in the tile glue. Quite expensive to run but effective. Towels dry even if left on the floor by those pesky teenagers!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stephenh said:

Stop having hot showers, a cold shower is much healthier! 😄😆

My teenage sons are not fans of anything but hot showers! 🙈

1 hour ago, AndrewBClarke said:

Yep. Double it. 
With regards to heating - have you thought about underfloor electric heating?  The system will suggest running costs of 1p a day but it is more likely to be 5p a day. Nice form of heating. Goes in the tile glue. Quite expensive to run but effective. Towels dry even if left on the floor by those pesky teenagers!  

Indeed I have, it was long term plan but lack of funds have prevented it this year. Maybe next year..........

In the meantime I'm looking at easier (cheaper) solutions if possible.

As a budget answer I would be tempted to put a low powered extractor fitment in the ceiling right where the problem is as it may be that the existing fan is just not removing the air in that position. With humidity fans very cheap this could be installed and only operate when the condensation at peak, only drawback is wiring it in but if you put a plug and lead on it the regulations are satisfied. Other cheaper way would be a simple ceiling vent ducted to the eaves with a non return "flappy" valve to prevent cold air being blown in🥶. It's a shame you live so from me as I'm often being called out to advise and I don't charge unless required to do the work.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TableLeg said:

In the meantime I'm looking at easier (cheaper) solutions if possible.

Leave the window open, that's cheap :rolleyes:

Also do you squeegee all the excess water from the tiles in the shower cubicle every time you shower, try and remove as as much moisture from the room as possible, it only takes a minute.

• Like 2

If the only source of the steam is the shower, then fit the extractor fan grill above the shower. Even if it already is, also try to seal the shower screen right upto the ceiling as its the gap above the screen / curtain that lets the steam out into the room. If the steam remains in the cubicle, the fan will extract it and minimise the moisture in the rest of the room.

Special bathroom paint on the ceiling does help.

• Like 1

Extractor unit with humidistat built in is the best place to start as others have stated it will run on until moisture is lowered few to choose from to suit your taste/budget

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/bathroom-extractor-fans/cat840654#category=cat840654&extractorfancontroltype=humidistat___timer

• Thanks 1

Agree with above.. definitely add more insulation generally if you plan to stay in house. Add heat if possible as more extraction will take the heat out of the room.. air extraction and circulation important otherwise dead air can cause mould...

Leave fan running as long as possible, don't just put on when actually in shower..hence why many hotel fans on a timer..

Don't forget you can buy a good dehumidifier for hundred quid and these help by giving heat, air circulation and dehumidification... As long as you can get it near the bathroom...

With insulation and heat..get the window open if you can!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:

Also do you squeegee all the excess water from the tiles in the shower cubicle every time you shower, try and remove as as much moisture from the room as possible, it only takes a minute.

I do, but nobody else in the house does....😖

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John said:

If the only source of the steam is the shower, then fit the extractor fan grill above the shower. Even if it already is, also try to seal the shower screen right upto the ceiling as its the gap above the screen / curtain that lets the steam out into the room. If the steam remains in the cubicle, the fan will extract it and minimise the moisture in the rest of the room.

Special bathroom paint on the ceiling does help.

Thanks John,

Yep extractor is in cubicle directly above the shower head. As you rightly suggest though the steam does pass out of the gap at the top of the shower screens into the rest of the bathroom. I get what you say about closing the gap but to be honest I'm not if I could that very easily.

41 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

Thanks John,

Yep extractor is in cubicle directly above the shower head. As you rightly suggest though the steam does pass out of the gap at the top of the shower screens into the rest of the bathroom. I get what you say about closing the gap but to be honest I'm not if I could that very easily.

It depends on your shower screen arrangement. If flat sides, a simple plasterboard stud wall arrangement with tiles bonded on would suffice. if rounded, a little more difficult

12 hours ago, John said:

It depends on your shower screen arrangement. If flat sides, a simple plasterboard stud wall arrangement with tiles bonded on would suffice. if rounded, a little more difficult

Quadrant enclosure so not quite that simple.🙁