Clan McWesty Rannoch Station run Sat 20th July

Kirmodawn1

I'm aiming to make the run tomorrow. Where's the car park meeting point in Aberfoyle?

Thanks, Brian.

1 hour ago, H.7 said:

I'm aiming to make the run tomorrow. Where's the car park meeting point in Aberfoyle?

Thanks, Brian.

Off Main Street FK8 3UQ. 

There is a good butcher who does really nice bacon rolls😁

Bob

• Like 1

The weather forecast for where I live is atrocious for tomorrow. Given that I have no weather gear for my car, if it's really bad in the morning, I'll come in the tintop 🚙

Pretty poor at the moment in Paisley but I'm still in. (I have a roof if needed). 

Bob

No rain at Aberfoyle but biblical at Loch Lubnig. I am soaking everywhere!!!

Lots of standing water. 

Fantastic run today! 349 miles in total. Really enjoyed it, even though I wimped out and took the RS4 instead of the Westfield 😉 but the weather this morning from my house to Aberfoyle was more suited to a powerboat 🤣 Great to meet some new people and also superb, as ever, to see all the different cars. Thanks guys! 👍

055A55DE-0193-4318-9ABB-5A69AF15C835.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not long in the door. 

Was good to see you again Brian and to be able to go for a run this time.

Thanks to all who came on the run. Hope we can do again soon.

As Brian said this morning the weather was dreadful with me ending up totally soaked to the skin but as soon as I arrived to Aberfoyle blue sky’s opened.

Great bacon rolls as per Bobs recommendation. It’s a butchers so the amount of bacon is ridiculous. I had two!!!

Great roads and the weather has held even becoming sunny and warm in the afternoon. From soaking to getting the top of my head burnt all in the same day, the joys of the Scottish Summer.

A great route was planned which took us over the dukes pass, out to lix toll, Killen and then onto Rannock station. Down one side of the Loch and after a nice lunch back down the other side of the Loch and onto Pitlochry for another fuel stop.

From there Creif and Cromrie (I kept following the leader, even though I had to turn off here and say goodbye!!) and after being put right a solo run down the side of Loch Earn to Lochearnhead and back past Tynedrum, Glencoe and home to Spean Bridge.

No clue how many miles but over 12 hours away so a fair few. I have as ever taken a few photos (my usual mediocre standard) which are all shown below.

Meant to say the place for lunch was great with great cake and in homage to the Yorkshire crew (and to keep myself out of the doghouse for being away all day) I took some home as I couldn’t have ate another thing after the rolls and half a pig!!

7EF783CB-D986-4BE1-8511-6DFB19818C70.jpeg

2C0C20F0-7F88-4742-9DD2-6A9B87A3B4ED.jpeg

18854932-EBB7-4ED8-84F8-40B13AFC9BB2.jpeg

91F965BA-31D1-450A-A0EF-60D30FE13523.jpeg

A2DF0415-F4BA-428B-A177-212E32F8791B.jpeg

C263BFC9-18DD-4215-9236-59BB1ED4E7CB.jpeg

EE30FE03-B1A3-40FD-9EBE-E16599341D2B.jpeg

E25365C6-0CA0-4D75-B823-E610ED0FC8D6.jpeg

9DA57D3F-612F-47E3-A07A-259BBAA56F68.jpeg

B5F7BA29-0706-45A7-A126-6C348A49FA14.jpeg

8563AD05-722D-4BDB-BD10-671E4E3CF91B.jpeg

9195AB0A-5B81-4C33-87F0-30057F05A564.jpeg

0CB5E6DA-A1DE-4822-99E5-128E6BFB9102.jpeg

• Like 5

You two deserve a medal for travelling the distance you did just to get to the start point. Thanks for making that effort. Thanks to Brian for acting as the anchor man all day in that awesome sound sounding Audi. Apologies that we lost you somewhere around Crieff/Comrie. I was sure you were with us as I could see the drls in my mirror but when we all bunched up in the town I realised it was a Mercedes and not your Audi. Hope it didn't spoil your day. 

We we had a few call offs from guys over in the East as the rain this morning was bad over there. Still, we had 6 cars which was a decent. 

I lead over Dukes Pass but it was still pretty wet so this was a relatively sedate pace. Heading through the tree covered roads to Kilmahog there were lots of large puddles. We headed for Killin and topped up with fuel and discussed whether to continue with the planned route. The skies said we should. Ben Lawers Dam was the next stop. Always a good photo op. Usually we continue on this road to Glen Lyon but I had gone over it last year and it was in really poor condition. This was confirmed by a passing 4x4 so we headed back to the main road and then turned off for Fortingall and over the Schiehallion road at a good pace on dry roads. 

Rannoch Station is at the end of about a 25 mile single track road which makes it sound like a nightmare road but it's not. It's a great run with some superb roads and scenery and a very nice cafe where we had lunch. Graeme (Scottish Westy) took the lead for the run back, this time along the other bank of Loch Rannoch and onto Loch Tummel. Mainly narrow or single track again but Graeme lead at a brisk pace and other cars in the main let us all pass. Pitlochry was our next fuel stop and route chat. We were only on the A9 for a couple of short stints before returning to the back roads. As we all came from different parts of the country, we split after Comrie. 

Graeme, Andy and I had a brilliant run back to the Glasgow area. With Graeme leading on roads he knows very well, this was quite spirited and really enjoyable with slower cars dispatched quite easily and all three cars staying in convoy. 

All in all, another great day out with nice guys and some good stories and banter. What more could we want, we even had sunshine.

Thanks everyone. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kirmodawn1 said:

Apologies that we lost you somewhere around Crieff/Comrie. I was sure you were with us as I could see the drls in my mirror but when we all bunched up in the town I realised it was a Mercedes and not your Audi. Hope it didn't spoil your day. 

No problem, Bob. When we got to Crieff, I chose to cut the Comrie to Braco loop and just turned left for Braco. That got me home for 6pm as I had arranged to meet someone then. Great day, even if I wasn't in a Westfield 😉🤣 Thanks for organising 👍

• Like 1

Yes thanks for all the organising, route planning and leading. Really enjoyed today. 👍

• Like 2

Sometimes it pays to just go for it on a day that started wet but turned out to be a cracker

No shame in this group as we even let a Cateringvan join us :-)

20190720_110236_resized.jpg

20190720_110648_resized.jpg

20190720_124236_resized.jpg

20190720_133540_resized.jpg

20190720_133606_resized.jpg

20190720_133637_resized.jpg

20190720_133709_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Lets not forget we also saved that family from a very very long walk due to their flat car battery. Brian saved the day with his power pack.

• Like 3

You were spotted at Rannoch station by a very good friend of mine, Maya, and her pal - she was on the big Harley (with sidecar), and Jo was on a Bonneville. They were on a rather wet bike camping holiday.

They took pics of you there...

Small world...

Dave.

• Like 1