Tory leadership race.

DonPeffers

I think it could be argued that as her agreement could not proceed through Parliament everything is off the table, including the £39bn.

I think at this stage of the negotiations there is value in “rattling the cage” 

They do want the money that is for sure. My Brother lives in France and there are already a lot of unsettled people who are still protesting every weekend against the measure Macron has put in place. They know if the UK leaves they will have to pay more to keep everything afloat. None of the proposed new members are contributory ones so France Germany and The Netherlands will have to stump up a lot more.

On the 39 billion, yes we have a morale and legal responsibility, however, what I have seen and read there is no mention of our share of income from assets that these funds and our previous ones have funded or how during the divorce we will get any share of EU assets.

A bit like divorcing your wife as she has run off with another, spent a shed load on credit cards, run up huge bills by promising she would pay and then you have to cover her debts give her your home and car and every asset you have and then finally pay for her pension. 

Already today Barnier has sort of agreed that technology (that apparently did not exist)  could be used to keep frictionless trade in Ireland. Which by default means that could be used to do the same between the UK and EU once they stop pretending that we are not actually going to leave.

3 hours ago, Alan France said:

Of the £39bn, about £9bn is for pension.

Who's pension?

All those ex MPs that found themselves cushy jobs in the eu 😡

what about using that to pay tv licences for the over 75s!

I think it’s predicted future pension values for uk staff and mep’s working within the EU. Kinnock gets £90,000 a year from his time working there and his sidekick the prince of darkness gets £35,000 a year.

The rest is other similar commitments.

I agree hence I want to leave and pay only what is legally required.

I think the BBC may have shot itself in both feet.

Following last nights BBC Tory leadership debate between the remaining five contenders, today on Sky, presenter Adam Boulton said to MP Andrew Mitchell "if that's the best we've got for the next Prime Minister we are all in trouble".

Having watched the program I have to sadly concur.

• Like 1

I’ve registered for several members hustings to debate the final two. 

Has anyone got any questions they would like me to ask?

Yes... Why on Earth should we trust a man who failed at every government position hers been in, including two at once (Mayor of London and MP): who managed to get an innocent British woman locked up for 5 more years in an Iranian jail by his badly chosen words; who only chose and lied about Brexit to knife Cameron in the back for his own ambitions and then ran away to let others clean up the mess; who claimed he’d lie in front of the bulldozers before he’d agree to a third Heathrow runway but conveniently flew out of Heathrow to avoid the vote on it; to run this country?

160,000 people are about to decide the fate of 65,000,000 citizens, all to serve the power hungry needs of the incompetent who have failed to deliver Brexit.  Democracy my :arse:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

160,000 people are about to decide the fate of 65,000,000 citizens...

159,999 and me, and all for an investment of £25.

3 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

160,000 people are about to decide the fate of 65,000,000 citizens, all to serve the power hungry needs of the incompetent who have failed to deliver Brexit.  Democracy my :arse:

I detect a touch of dislike in your rant Captain, but let's look at this another way.

160000 people are not deciding the fate of 65 million. 17.5 million voted to leave in the largest vote in our history and a mandate given on a once in a lifetime vote.

650 Mp's were elected at the last GE out of which only 160 voted to leave. They all, apart from a handful, agreed to respect the vote to leave and deliver Brexit as per the mandate, yet have done everything in their power to stop what the public voted for, using courts, parliamentary process etc.

So using your logic, it is just 650 who are deciding the future of the country and that is not democracy at all when the people voted for an action to be taken and they refuse to do as instructed by the people.

I know many who voted both ways and many are more concerned about the way parliament has rode roughshod over everything to obstruct any deal being made, than the outcome if and when we leave.

British politics has moved in a bad direction where a bit like in the States that the two people who were chosen to contest leading the country were not the best for the job. We will have a choice at the next GE of Boris or Corbyn neither who will be statesmen like, but give me Boris any day over Corbyn

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jeff oakley said:

160000 people are not deciding the fate of 65 million. 17.5 million voted to leave in the largest vote in our history and a mandate given on a once in a lifetime vote.

Not to be who’s the next Prime Minister.  Whoever it will be has more than Brexit to deal with.  The last lot have spectacularly failed to deliver what the majority voted for.  The democracy my :arse: refers to who gets to choose who leads this country.

27 minutes ago, jeff oakley said:

British politics has moved in a bad direction where a bit like in the States that the two people who were chosen to contest leading the country were not the best for the job. We will have a choice at the next GE of Boris or Corbyn neither who will be statesmen like, but give me Boris any day over Corbyn

Don’t get me started on the States. 👹  The choice of Boris or Corbyn?  That’s like asking who you put in charge of steering the Titanic, Coco the Clown or Stevie Wonder.  We will be a laughing stock either way.

3 hours ago, Alan France said:

159,999 and me, and all for an investment of £25.

So you’re suggesting I should join and pay for membership of all the political parties to ensure my voice is heard?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Don’t get me started on the States. 👹  The choice of Boris or Corbyn?  That’s like asking who you put in charge of steering the Titanic, Coco the Clown or Stevie Wonder.  We will be a laughing stock either way.

I think we already are the laughing stock 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

So you’re suggesting I should join and pay for membership of all the political parties to ensure my voice is heard?

Not at all, this time we are voting for a party leader, of the party who happens to be in Government. It would be rather unusual for a Labour or Liberal voter to be allowed to vote for a Conservative leader.

I also (maybe, perhaps, not sure) spent £3 and voted for Jeremy during the Labour leadership race. For two reasons, one, to show Ed Miliband how unusual it was to allow such a thing. Two, I also thought Jeremy would make an unusual party leader. (I think I got that right!)

It's good we all have different views.

48 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Not to be who’s the next Prime Minister.  Whoever it will be has more than Brexit to deal with.  The last lot have spectacularly failed to deliver what the majority voted for.  The democracy my :arse: refers to who gets to choose who leads this country.

You are correct in that they will the next PM but as Alan says this election is who is to lead the party of government and the process has always been the same for all parties. I never got a vote and my voice not heard when Tony Blair handed over to Gordon Brown as PM. One could argue that at every change of PM there must be an election but that is not the case.

My assertion that the future of the country is in the hands of 650 is true enough, or if you are cynical at the moment 10 members of the DUP.

As for being in charge of the Titanic, I do not ascribe to that view, yes Brexit has caused some issues, mainly self inflicted, but in spite of that our economy is doing good, as the EU toters on recession, unemployment down to record lows as always depends if you are a half full or empty sort of person but the UK is a sturdy old tub that has survived far worse than this.

What I cannot fathom is who in the Tory party decided it was a good idea to have this election for leader turned into the X factor? This has never happened before and from what I have seen has been an unmitigated disaster. Away from the poise and polish of preparation for sound bite politics they sounded like normal blokes having a row in a pub.

As Alan says people should have a view as it is important to us all.

11 minutes ago, Alan France said:

Not at all, this time I are voting for our party leader, of the party Prime Minister who happens to be in Government

Fixed that for you.  This is about far more than Brexit and party leadership.  Frankly, whatever party is in power, it’s undemocratic that the party can remove the leader of the party that was duly elected and replace them with another.  If the changing a leader of the party in power forced a general election, MPs would be think twice before pulling out the knife on their Prime Minister (Thatcher-Major, Blair-Brown, May-Clown, ad infinitum, ad nauseam) and focus on what they’re being paid a lot of money to do - deliver Brexit.

22 minutes ago, Alan France said:

It's good we all have different views.

Absolutely.  For the record, I’m a member of no political party whatsoever.  I vote every time, and I vote for the candidates and / or parties I believe will either do the most good or much more often, the least harm.  The current offering of cowards, troglodytes and liars has already helped me decide how I’m voting next time - I’m spoiling my ballot paper, simply because I don’t have an option to abstain.

Signed,

Disgusted of Warwickshire 

At a General Election only voters in the constituency of a Party leader (2017-- Maidenhead, Mrs May and Islington North, Mr Corbyn) actually voted for (a) a political Party and (b) the potential next PM (should their chosen party gain a majority and form the Government)

The SNP want another Indy referendum, apparently because life will be untenable under Bojo.

Should there be an Indy ref. every time there is a change of UK Government leader and also a UK General Election bearing in mind that each of these comes at the cost of a new hospital (about £150 Mn a time)?

From my 08 June 2019 Stuff & nonsense--'worst Prime Minister competition' post,

"Likely it's time to move away from a two-party, first-past-the-post-system of voting with the excessive power the PM then has.

If a political Party manifesto is to mean anything then its implementation has to be binding or a new election must be called."

• Like 1