Westfield Sport 250 advice

Nick729

And just to add if I were starting now i would go for the scs ECU. It comes ready mapped just like the Ford one anyway. Yes might be a bit of extra wiring work but you will gain a lot of flexibility and tunability. Even just being able to set the fan temp will save you a hundred quid on a separate electric fan controller.

2 hours ago, Nick729 said:

Not available yet, but they informed me that it will be available in about a month. They couldn't answer the question is it a full bolt on kit with no other parts needed, but did mention that some have been fitted to Westfields and apparently did not need any other modifications or parts as far as they know..

From my chat with Raceline the balancer delete kit is available from them, but not included.  Likely I would say they can supply everything you need, as that was what I was told, but better to know what you need. 

Best bit about the Raceline sump is you then don't need the Ford oil pick-up to be modified, not sure about any other bolts you might need or oil drain plug, but as so far nobody has got there hands on one to try it.  Given we have all been waiting for this for a long time don't think anybody has any experience yet and TBH I just could not wait any longer, as even with my car jacked up a further 50mm from WF settings I'm still very nervous about my "low hanging fruit"

Just a note the engine/gearbox was supplied to me all bolted together.  I fretted about the ground clearance at the time as AdgeC was in the process of replacing his, but was somewhat put of by being told any changes to the engine would void the warranty by the factory, which I can understand, somewhat.

One thing I can tell you from experience is putting in the engine/gearbox and now my upcoming fitment of the Power Torque lowered sump, is I wish I'd had the balls to swap the sump first, and b******* to the warranty statement from WF.

1 minute ago, BugMan said:

put of by being told any changes to the engine would void the warranty by the factory,

I wonder if Ford would payout on any warranty claim when using a Fwd sump in a Rwd config anyway? 

Well Steve, thats a million dollar question, and at the time I did mine I spent hours arguing with myself about fitting the Power Torque sump you lead the way with, but given I had an engine I had not turned over or had any history on given it was a crate engine, was just to plain scared to switch it before it went in the car.

• Up-side - So far car and engine have been super and delivered more than I expected
  • Down-side - Now following your great work and the write up by AdgeC, so more work, but plan to turn the balance shaft into a desk toy/paper weight and finally get the car setup correctly for the road

No I understand totally Steve. If I'd paid for a crate engine I'd have thought a lot harder about doing it. But considering the warranty is 12 months from ordering/collecting your only getting a token gesture of a warranty anyways.

Plus theres a dam site more chance of smacking it on the ground as exitus did (which warranty wouldn't cover) and killing the engine than oil problems with an aftermarket sump in my opinion. 

Yeah. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. b******* the warranty, if i'd known how bad the sump was I would have changed it anyway. Fortunately the repair is holding up extremely well, and a raceline one will be on it's way when available.

I'll then be able to relax slightly on the road.

Well, the deed has been done, just payed the deposit and eagerly awaiting delivery. 

Decided to go with Orange again, with diamond stitching and piping also in orange. Will decide on red or black harnesses once i get a pic of each :)

Edited by Nick729
irrelevant questions

2 hours ago, Nick729 said:

Decided to go with Orange again

Good choice! And enjoy!

Exitus - one quick question, does the carbon silencer (saw it in your build diary) come standard with sport 250 or is that option? It was not on the option list I was provided..

I've seen some Westfields with front turn indicators mounted just below the headlights on the same bracket as the headlight. Anyone know where are they from? 

Any thoughts on the carbon effect dash? I don't really like the vinyl one.. Does it come with pre-cut holes, as i am thinking of using completely different buttons, they don't go well with the modern digital dash in my opinion...

You can choose between a carbon or stainless can, well at least you could with the s2000.

As for the he carbon effect dash it comes with holes already in it, you could always do what I did & fit it to pass IVA then upgrade to a real carbon one.

1 hour ago, Nick729 said:

Exitus - one quick question, does the carbon silencer (saw it in your build diary) come standard with sport 250 or is that option? It was not on the option list I was provided..

I've seen some Westfields with front turn indicators mounted just below the headlights on the same bracket as the headlight. Anyone know where are they from? 

Any thoughts on the carbon effect dash? I don't really like the vinyl one.. Does it come with pre-cut holes, as i am thinking of using completely different buttons, they don't go well with the modern digital dash in my opinion...

We got the carbon silencer as standard - I'm not sure if we had the choice to be honest! I do like it - it looks great and fits with the carbon cycle wings and stone guards we've just added.

So far we have the vinyl dash, which is fine, nothing special. It did come with pre-cut holes for most of the switches, though if I remember rightly we did have to alter a few of them.

5 hours ago, Nick729 said:

Well, the deed has been done, just payed the deposit and eagerly awaiting delivery

Congratulations, pleased for you, something to look forward to.

From memory mine came with the carbon silencer as standard.

Ive got the standard dash, perversely I had to cut holes or two of the five central switches!

A quality supplier of carbon parts is CarbonNV. They supply various bits including the indicator pods you were interested in.

Link to website: http://www.carbon-nv.co.uk/products.html 

Can also get a carbon dash from there as well! You'll  have to trim their dash to match your scuttle and cut holes to suit switchgear etc.

Be careful though, carbon can become addictive, I've ended up fitting CarbonNV front wings, rear spoiler and mirror covers (so far!).

Believe the indicator pods under the headlights can be contentious for IVA in the UK. Don't know what if any inspection has to be done for your home country?

Another option for front indicators is to get rid of them and fit LED headlights that incorporate them, also gives better headlights.

1824D7E5-709D-40D5-AFE8-3DB5705D5DBA.thumb.jpeg.e3bf153342a2da74da1c3603d4f85fc7.jpeg

8 hours ago, AdgeC said:

Thanks for the link! Here we go.. :laugh: 

Should probably replace the factory diffuser and cycle wings  for the carbon ones offered by Carbon NV. Carbon cycle wings are for some reason not available from WF anymore.

Any issues fitting the carbon parts? Do they need a lot of work to fit? Never worked on carbon before.. 

Kit car ducted Aero+ cycle wings look interesting, any downsides to having these?

Not too worried about the registration/IVA related issues, as a worst case scenario i can just drive with the temp. plates like with the previous one

13 minutes ago, jonjh1964 said:

Another option for front indicators is to get rid of them and fit LED headlights that incorporate them, also gives better headlights.

these i assume are not the same LED headlights that are offered by Westfield? I ordered those..