Westfield Sport 250 advice

Nick729

1 hour ago, Nick729 said:

Any issues fitting the carbon parts? Do they need a lot of work to fit? Never worked on carbon before

Just need to manage any dust, I used workshop vacuum and mask. Wear gloves, any splinters are not nice apparently. Found it straightforward to work with.

Or use a spray bottle and water, that keeps the dust down too :t-up:

• Like 1

Really good news that you have taken the plunge, congratulations and please keep us up-dated.

Can highly recommend doing a build log on here with as many pictures as possible, and if you find your not sure about something, just stop and ask all here will help out.

Digest the 250 build logs, and any others to pick up the bits your interested in I read just about all of them on holiday B4 I started my build, and picked up a hell of a lot of tips from people as I went, even stopping me doing the silly mistakes that in my eyes seemed like a brilliant idea but were utter crap.

I would highly suggest switching out the sump B4 you put it in the car. b*****k* to what the factory say about their car not having any issues with ground clearance they are protecting the agreement on warranty with the Ford engine suppler.  You will probably be able to get the Raceline option given the delay in getting your hands on the kit, so pls keep us up-to-date as things progress.

I think the under-headlight indicators your thinking of might be the Caterham ones.

I'm guessing you might have a different system in your country compared with our IVA process here, but the common  practice here is generally to follow the factory build process as close as you can, so that the IVA inspectors here have less to pickup on, and then post IVA start adding in the nice bits you actually want like carbon stuff.

There is a build on here where somebody has found an exquisite dash mounting CNC cut billet that sinks the AIM flush into the dash - i'll try to find it later 4u

:westy:

• Like 1

I would love to do a decent build diary, but that was the plan for first one too.. ended up with maybe 30 pics and no write up :) will try harder this time, but taking pictures ans writting stuff is not my strong point :)

51 minutes ago, BugMan said:

I would highly suggest switching out the sump B4 you put it in the car.

I arranged for the sump to be fitted at Westfield if Raceline manages to get them shipped in time, otherwise i will get the sump fitted myself, but hopefully it will be done by Westfield. :)

54 minutes ago, BugMan said:

I think the under-headlight indicators your thinking of might be the Caterham ones.

Carbon-nv offers the bracket i am after, just need to make sure it fits on the LED headlights i ordered ;)

Thank you!

• Like 1

Ah, that sounds suspiciously like Westfield have finally admitted there is a problem, and is working with Raceline! How very interesting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Exitus said:

Ah, that sounds suspiciously like Westfield have finally admitted there is a problem, and is working with Raceline! How very interesting.

Depends how you view it, Simon mentioned that the Raceline sump will be an option for sport 250 from WF at later date if the tests are sucessfull. So I asked them to do it before shipping the kit to me. I will have to pay for parts and labour though :) it's all up to Raceline now, fingers crossed that they finish the sumps :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nick729 said:

Depends how you view it, Simon mentioned that the Raceline sump will be an option for sport 250 from WF at later date if the tests are sucessfull. So I asked them to do it before shipping the kit to me. I will have to pay for parts and labour though :) it's all up to Raceline now, fingers crossed that they finish the sumps :)

Fantastic, sounds sensible from Westfield. Hopefully Raceline manage to get everything sorted!

On 21/04/2019 at 09:14, Nick729 said:

The kit is a summer weekend fun car, that's why i need and want something nuts. :)

I understand where you're coming from now. My advice is to make it as light as you can! I can't stress enough how much all the extra 'fat' that goes on cars nowadays kills performance.

5 hours ago, Nick729 said:

these i assume are not the same LED headlights that are offered by Westfield? I ordered those..

You assume correctly - these replace the lamp section of the standard 5.75” headlights and provide an integrated indicator.

Thank you all for the tips and shared wisdom. I was astonished by how active and nice members of this forum are. You are the reason I ended up buying another Westfield even though I had something else planned :) Thank you once again - shipping date from Westfield confirmed for week ending 12th of July :p

Final spec of the Sport 250 in case someone is interested:

Powder coated chassis panels

LSD

Wide track wishbones

Front and back anti roll bars

Track day shock absorbers

Westfield Race front and rear calipers

R888R 205 tyres

8" rear wheels

Digital dash

Heater kit

FW rear body

LED Light pack

LED head lamps

MSA half cage

Sport turbo seats with diamond stitching

3" four point harness upgrade

Quick release steering column and race steering wheel

Half Hood and side screen

SCS ECU

Raceline shallow sump (factory fitted at Westfield if it gets there on time)

Carbon parts from Carbon-nv:

Ducted Aero+ cycle wings

Rear diffuser

Rear arch guards

Mirror covers

Indicator pods

Carbon Dashboard

Colour: orange, with orange piping and orange diamond stitching on the seats.

I'll try my best to make a build diary, but there is a strong possibility I will get carried away and forget to take pictures :laugh:

• Like 8

Great news, would love to see pictures as you go as this alone helped me NOT screw up on my build.

Looks like a lovely spec, think your in for some fun for sure.

What was the SCS ECU option as mine came with the Ford Racing ECU and pack?

:westy:

5 minutes ago, BugMan said:

Looks like a lovely spec, think your in for some fun for sure.

will be interesting to see, just how much of a difference there will be compared to FW SE :)

6 minutes ago, BugMan said:

What was the SCS ECU option as mine came with the Ford Racing ECU and pack?

there was a discussion earlier in the thread, that the OEM Ford ECU is no longer provided with the engine. Westfield has a small stock of OEM Ford ECU's, once they run out, they will offer SCS ECU instead (since i asked, Simon let me chose, otherwise I would have received the OEM Ford ECU.). I decided to go for SCS, just for the ability to tinker with it, even though it is unlikely i will do it.

Very interesting having a mappable ECU is something I would have chosen if it was available, although TBH I'm stil exploring what the car can do, whihc is greater than what the driver can do in my case.  Will follow that with interest if you can keep us up-dated as you go? :westy:

• 2 weeks later...

Read through all of the 250 diaries - some great information there!

I don't want to make a few different threads, so i'll just ask here, if that's ok :)

Any parts that should be swapped out straight away or ordered prior to assembly? It takes a while getting parts sent from UK, so I would rather buy everything in advance, as to not stall the build when i get the kit delivered :) makes me jealous reading diaries where missing parts/items are just delivered next day 😒

• Thermostat - Duratec lower temp one? Which one exactly and any suggestions where is the best place to get it from?
  • Front grill - the ABS plastic one from Exitus build diary?
  • Bighead screws - which size is the most suitable? Suggestions where to get them from (I will have to get them shipped from UK) Used for carbon-nv ducted aero+ cycle wings, heater (like in @BugMan's build). Maybe rear carbon-nv diffuser too, or is there a better method of attachment for it? Anything else?

I noticed some of you used the black foam tape on the shell sides where the hood meets the body sides. I did not use any foam on the FW SE. Is it a good idea to attach the foam on the hood itself rather than the sides, so you don't actually see the foam when you open the hood?