Rear End Grip

chris sideways

I've just done a track day at Brands and it's the first time I have used sticky tyres(Yoko AO32R'S)in the dry,the car had good grip at the front but the back end felt terrible it would step out of line soooooooo easy,at first I thought it was to much tyre pressure when hot as they came in hot at about 24psi but I got them down to 20psi hot and still had the problem.I've never had this before with my road tyres is it just because I'm going that bit faster into the corner or have I now got to the limit of my standard Westfield Spax suspension.I'm not going to race this car just doing track days so I'm not looking for 10th's of a second here but it felt like the car could go much faster if the back didn't break away so quickly.So has anyone got any idea's on what my be the problem??

Many Thanks.

Chris

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chris sideways

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• Mark Stanton

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, is 20psi the lowest you tried, and was that before they heated up. I run my 520's (different tyre I know) at 17-18 hot.

I'm sure someone more knowlegable will be along soon. C'mon Blatters

Chris

You could try changing the suspension settings:

- Toe in the rear a bit and lower it.

- Make sure rear is not too stiff (about 3-4 clicks).

- Stiffen the front to balance the car.

- Check rears are not overheating

Fast Westy can i do them sort of adjustments with the spax that i have on there now?How will i know if they are over heating,that was my first thought which is why i let them down to 20psi when hot so maybe they need to go lower then??

Turbo Tommo lol

:D  :D  ;)

*Hijack*

Turbo,

520s are the same(ish) as 539s aren't they?

I'd been p******** about between 20 and 28 cold without ever achieving any grip, ever on my 539s.

Do they really want work well that low? What do you set them to cold?

TIA.

Oh, and for Chris: stiffening the front and loosening the rear a bit on my std spax made a heewge difference, it went from nasty immediate snap oversteer to a slight push at the front which could be tucked back in with a bit of throttle. I've almost managed to drift it a couple of times too, just before fishtailing up the road and nearly dying.  :t-up:

Bonjour M. Sideways,

What weight is your car front to back?

Back end stepping out: Lower tyre pressure, lower rebound (clicks on the shockers - start at one and work up), lower ride height, increase camber... 32's like camber, + toe in... but ne pas all at once.

or.... just drive slower :D

This my sound thick but how do you stiffening the front and loosening the rear?does this mean new springs.I just want to get the most out of this set up without spending £1000's on new suspension.

thanks.

20 and 28 cold
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!

Sam that is Wayyyyyy toooooooooooo hiiiiigh  :D  :)  ;) even for road use - 20 max

Chris

you can achieve most if not all of the comments using your Spax shocks, if they're workin'.

Wind off all you clicks, and note how many were on (important) try 2 or 3 clicks on back and 3 to 4 on front - You need the back softer in order to bed down and grip when you give it gas.

And always give yourself a couple of laps to warm up the tyres

And just so you don't have to ask (cos I did  :blush: ) you adjust with the little screw on the side of the shocks (take your wheels off). Turn it all the way anti clockwise to the stop then turn it clockwise until it 'clicks' out into place. I settled on two at the back and four at the front. The stiffer the shocks the less the weight shifts to that part of the car so the less grip at that end IYSWIM.

you adjust with the little screw on the side of the shocks (take your wheels off).

While the wheels are off, whip off the botom shock mount, and rotate the bottom mount through 180 degrees by sticking screwdriver through the bolt hole. This will enable you to adjust the shocks without taking the wheels off, 'cos you'll be able to reach them by lying on the floor and reaching under the car between the rear wishbones.........This assumes that the adjusters aren't already facing away from the wheel, natch.........

Is this something a complete newbie like me should be thinking about fiddling with? I've only had the car since the beginning of last December...

Andy