Use of Whatsapp Live Location to assist on blats and multi car Road Trips

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

It worked very well, being able to work out when to set off from home, where everyone was as we waited at Hilton Park and even when to fire up the engines as the convoy peeled off the motorway into the services.

The only thing that bugged me was that because it wasn't a navigation mapping thingy, the iPhone kept turning off, and facial recognition doesn't work with a helmet on (and typing in a passcode while driving a Westie isn't easy).

Is it possible to set an iPhone to stay on when Whatsapp is running?

48 minutes ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

For those in the convoy, please chip in with your thoughts on how it worked etc!

If anyone needs any help using it, just ask.

Thanks,

Ian

I thought it worked really well.

the only thing o would say is make sure everyone is in the group prior to sharing locations or late joiners will miss out.

18 minutes ago, Si.Dalziel said:

I thought it worked really well.

the only thing o would say is make sure everyone is in the group prior to sharing locations or late joiners will miss out.

Hi @Si.Dalziel totally agree, however this was the first time Steve had used it in anger and hence I didn't want to add to his pain by asking lots of people on the forum to send him their mobile number etc. Hence it was kept to a small group with different locations to aid the test. You don't count yet as you've not finished building😄

23 minutes ago, NigelO said:

It worked very well, being able to work out when to set off from home, where everyone was as we waited at Hilton Park and even when to fire up the engines as the convoy peeled off the motorway into the services.

The only thing that bugged me was that because it wasn't a navigation mapping thingy, the iPhone kept turning off, and facial recognition doesn't work with a helmet on (and typing in a passcode while driving a Westie isn't easy).

Is it possible to set an iPhone to stay on when Whatsapp is running?

Thanks @NigelO just increase the timout on the iphone screeen and just tap it occasionally. Works for me!

Just now, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

You don't count yet as you've not finished building😄

That cut me deep!!! Lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Si.Dalziel said:

That cut me deep!!! Lol

Put the phone down and pick up the hammer and get that car finished!

6 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

image.png.fa70e562d0fb29c9d7b95b0a75a23f18.png

This does look a good solution for not loosing each other @IanK (Bagpuss) I'me going to give it a go on my next outing :yes:

ps. who's that bloke next to Leek? looks a bit dodgy

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

We are on a run out this weekend to catch Marcus at the culmination of his char bike ride, and we have been playing around with it in advance. 

The biggest thing for me was sorting out contact names and mobile numbers, but think I’ve got that but sorted now.

On our recent run out to the Sun, think at one point we had 14 in convoy, on the way over from Leeds (11) picked up Geoff and 2 others on route to the pub all arrived ok, but the way back after a fuel stop we got separated into 2 or 3 groups.   This despite Robins best endeavours to keep us together and us all working to try to keep the car behind in sight.

I’m still new to convoy driving and just can’t see how a big group can keep together when hitting junctions, traffic lights, idiots in GTi’s who think it’s a challenge to get in amongst us.

Robin usually leads us as he knows where we are going and in my experience is damn good at keeping us together (apart from when my steering wheel detached) and if the use of WhatsApp and it’s tracking helps us a)be safe b)stay together c) know if somebody gets separated it’s got to be good.

if Robin can use his SatNav for navigation and WhatsApp for the convoy we should be all good.

in an ideal world if we could combine tracking with pre planned routes we could all share we would be in a better place, unfortunately I’m not aware of an App that can do both, unless somebody knows differently?

Will update after the next run

BugMan :westy:

1 hour ago, BugMan said:

PS, how the heck did you capture the video Ian’s/Dave?

There’s a built in screen recorder on IPhones I guess there is similar available on Android too. It’s in control

centre on IOS- customise controls then enable screen recorder. You can then access it by swiping up