So, I am keeping the diesel car.....................Issues ?

Thrustyjust

If you want MPH don’t buy a SUV... regardless of how slick you make it it’s still opening up a larger amount of air than a larger saloon car.       Type of mileage you do has to be the consideration when thinking fuel type.      I drive a 3 series touring 320d with 186 bhp 0-60 about 7.5 and top  speed of 144 iirc.   I average high 55-60 most tanks.  last tank 66 as there was a drive to Cornwall and back.   But the wife does short journeys and she has a 1.4 Ibiza petrol we avoided the 1.2tsr version with zero road tax as they hate short journeys.      I still believe the only true green thing to do is keep a car on the road for as long as possible.    Goverments and car manufacturers wantus us to keep buying new cars.  ££££ .. they just need to keep making reasons why...       What better reason than believing your saving the planet.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SootySport said:

DERV’s———a waste of time, unless it’s a Taxi.

I have 3 friends who have bought derv SUVs recently, because they were cheaper than the petrol versions.  One has an 2017 XC60 and does 29 mpg the others have a  Qaushki and Mazda CX  and manage about 31 mpg each.

Reason-  they only drive them around our local area a couple of miles at a time, which is no good for DPF equipped cars. I did warn them that it would be false economy for short journeys but they were all convinced by salesman they would see over 45 mpg.  The Quashki and Mazda friends ar already trying to sell their cars with intention of buying petrol versions soon.  My Volvo friend doesn’t understand the OBD average figures and says it’s all rubbish and convinced he’s will get Over 40 mpg soon.

As for politicians, they are none the wiser, they don’t understand and fail recognise the whole life CO2 cost of a car, electric or other internal combustion vehicles. I don’t know what the answer is to be honest apart from increasing CO2 levels will kill our planet eventually.  Lucky I won’t be around then.

We were offered 10 grand off a pre-ordered XC60 Auto D4 and 0% apr for 2 years for the PCP, so to be honest a no brainer. We had no choice in fuel then and to be honest we have 46 mpg on it currently on the 'Cant be bothered to reset the trip meter mpg' We arent fussed about mpg though and judging by my bosses petrol and hybrid Mitsubishi thing , when the battery runs out at 30 ish miles , he gets less than 30 mpg from the engine. So, personally we are doing better than hybrids, as his electric bill goes up every night he charges up and the office bill goes up every day he plugs in, in the rain currently with a muddy lead to stuff back in the boot. We bought the XC because it is roomy, comfy, wafts along, doesnt mind huge potholes , see infront of traffic , room for the dog cage in the boot. From driving a V60 last week, it was none of those and doesnt warrant the expense of change by popular agreement here.

This Volvo and our last diesel one potters around in city life and as yet not seen a DPF issue in over 5 years of driving them. Neighbours passat was another story and as a salesman did 40k a year and was always having issues with dpf. We do italian tune it when we go on the motorways though ;)

Must say that as a car the XC is brilliant and luxurious compared to other brands , suits our needs and even though its a diesel , I am of an understanding that it is a bonus now too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blatman said:

Given Honda, BMW and Toyota's stance, I'll not be buying their products for the forseeable.

Agree with Blatman regarding the above and I would add VW over the emissions scandal.

Looks like I'll be getting the pushbike out of the hut after all.

• Like 1

Agreed but we’ll run out of brands to buy.. Even Morgan’s been sold yesterday to Investindustrial.   

But in their shoes wouldn't you have the same stance when this joke of a government can't tell them one way or another what's going on in the country where their factories are? 

And for those who don't think every big manufacturer havent been fiddling the emissions for years then think again. Vw just happened to get caught with their pants down spectacularly.

1 hour ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

But in their shoes wouldn't you have the same stance when this joke of a government can't tell them one way or another what's going on in the country where their factories are? 

I have no problem with them telling the Govt to get their act together. Telling "the press" by way of releases and statements of intent that "Brexit is bad" is not telling the Govt to get their act together. It's subversion...

Thrusty, London isn't a pit, it's the best city in the world :oops:

and MotCO, if that was a photo I'd be more convinced :p 

Can't disagree about London, Blatters. Of all the major world cities I have visited over a period of forty years few have the same feeling of vitality. Manhattan, Paris, and Amsterdam being the principal exceptions. 

By the way, how do you know it isn't a photograph? Was it the horns? :)

2 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

By the way, how do you know it isn't a photograph? Was it the horns? :)

Lack of meta data :oops:

[/geek]

I've had 3 hybrids over the last 7 years and they have all been fine. Current one gives an average of 46 mpg in the summer and 44 mpg in the winter, I assume because the batteries don't like the cold. The torque is not as good as a diesel, but keeping the electric motor switched in gets close. As least I don't need gloves to fill up.

I agree the cheapest way is to buy and keep for as long as possible. I let someone else drop the £15k out of the showroom cost and bought my old LS barge with 7k on the clock and kept it almost 10 years. Depreciation over that period was just over 3k per year.