2019 Trackday chat

Andrew

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

However, it was the clear difference between the road tyres and the Nankangs that made me ponder. Perhaps my post wasn't clear, apologies, it was commenting on the difference between the tyres, IYSWIM, rather than anything else.

Yes I appreciate you were comparing the effects of different tyres. :yes:

Love axles rule! 😍

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got ready last weekend for Cadwell this Sunday.. but looks like I will need a boat not a car! Been a long time since been on track..looking forward to it! 

IMG_20191005_124118123_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Is Phil going with you? I’m available if you need a copilot....

Haha you are a lad..yes he is joining me..he is just leaving Cape town an hour ago..but has said will be back to swim round Cadwell!  Don't know if anyone will drop out and allow you to give Lionel a bath!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

Is Phil going with you? I’m available if you need a copilot....

Aren't you supposed to be doing a heart transplant on Lionel?

Sunday's looking very wet.. be careful through any standing water. I saw an Elise go off three quarters of the way down the start straight once, and I think Cleggy had a bit of a but clencher on park straight last year? :oops:

I am....that’s why Martyn was going to offer  a double drive!

93197B71-1A24-437D-BFEC-5A1672452C3E.thumb.jpeg.2a5f5080f7f75eac5479f3c0f14aefb7.jpeg

side note: I can’t believe how much heavier the mx5 lump is vs the Duratec

• Like 1

Is the mx5 ali block?

Will watch the standing water Andrew..it definitely looks like will be a wet one.. do I want to add a couple more psi in the tyres to start with?

12 minutes ago, Mole said:

Is the mx5 ali block?

Will watch the standing water Andrew..it definitely looks like will be a wet one.. do I want to add a couple more psi in the tyres to start with?

No it’s cast lead. 

I wouldnt bother with the tyre pressures, but I would soften the suspension off and possibly disconnect the ARBs.

Hi Andrew..yes I survived..just..quite a lot of Clio's Astras etc there plus BMW's Honda's etc.. pouring with rain track soaked..did the three sighting laps and then thought I would wait before I went out and let the lads get their testosterone levels down.. after the second or third laps one of the guys stuck their car into the barrier on start finish straight..one hell of a bang and destroyed car and destroyed Armco.. luckily driver ok but took over an hour to repair the damage..

I went out and had a good run, but heeded your advice and took it easy on the straights because at 70 mph things got quite twitchy..

Phil who shares the car went out and managed to spin it going up the hill on the long straight round the back!

There were a number of red flags with others parking in the Armco! To be honest the worst thing was not being quickest on the straights and having to let others past..and with the small mirrors and terrible conditions I was waiting for someone to hit me from behind!

However going round copse and the following corners in the wet was awesome, as was the gooseneck etc..the mountain was outright scarry trying to keep in a straight line and hall bends and barn was like ice!

After lunch the rain stopped and later on there was a dry line and it was fantastic..car was handling really well with loads of grip..but get off line and it was exciting!!

At end of day I had a really long full tank stint on a nearly empty track which was a fantastic way to end the day..with both drivers and car in one piece!!

• Like 2

Great news. 

38 minutes ago, Mole said:

Phil who shares the car went out and managed to spin it going up the hill on the long straight round the back!

Wowsers! Lucky to get away with that one! 

37 minutes ago, Mole said:

At end of day I had a really long full tank stint on a nearly empty track which was a fantastic way to end the day..with both drivers and car in one piece!!

Makes it all worthwhile. :cool:

Yes I think Phil was lucky..found the piece of track where there was some run off...

Yes I love Cadwell and I suppose with experience and higher skill level driving in the wet will be less if a worry and more enjoyable..however at Cadwell I really felt there was not much between being ok on track and and having a big one in the barrier..

I also don't know if it is just unlucky but there do seem to be more stoppages now on more days than there used to be..which is really frustrating especially as there are two of us driving the car..so time becomes precious...I know in the wet it is more expected..

Any links Andrew to see some videos of Sunday?

Have you got any more days planned for this year??

22 minutes ago, Mole said:

Any links Andrew to see some videos of Sunday?

This one doesn't end well..

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Mole said:

Have you got any more days planned for this year??

Croft 30th Oct .. bit far for you I'd guess. 😉