• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pollocka

• Blatman

• gregh

• westy

pollocka

For £10K you will get a pukka SEiW (top spec wide bodied, indipendent rear end) Westie with 2.0L 16V be it Zetec or Vauxhall VX with 165-180bhp weighing in at 600kg approx.

For £10k you will get an older less powerfull Cateringvan, as Blatman says 130bhp 1.7 X-flow Super Sprint of early 1.4K series. The Carteingvan will weigh slightly less 550kg? & may be everso slightly sharper :0  ??? (not so as you'd notice :arse: ) but this is so much down to how you set your car up, every car is different & can be adjusted as you want/can afford (most bits for Westies seem to be cheaper than for CV's, there owners seem to like spending big bucks ??? )

However the best bit about Westie ownership is that you can tinker with them to your hearts content,

engines, gearboxes, suspention, Diffs etc........ :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:

You can also do this to a lesser extent with a Cateringvan but altering CV's from original spec tends to devalue them. I have also found that some CV owners can be a bit snobish & I have NEVER found that with this bunch of reprabates.

Basically it comes down to this?

Do you drink Beer (Stella :xmas: ), buy a Westie

Do you drink Wine (Asti-spu-mantii :blush: ) buy a CV.

Simple :durr:

Andy :t-up:

600 kilos and 160 BHP plus the torque of a zetec/VX gets you over your nominal BHP/tonne figure vs 550 kilos and 130bhp which doesn't.

I made my choice W vs C and bought a swept wing Westie SEiW X-Flow.  Bags of fun & every bit as good as my brothers Caterhum X-flow was.  But who paid least for the car in the first place & so lost least on re-selling.........

10% of 10K is still more than 10% of 7K....

You can upgrade a Westie to your hearts content and know it will sell.  less so with the Caterhums

Good luck whichever you choose to get though.

Lunacy is shared whichever Se7en you get, just the reason in the WSCC is natural insanity from birth, rather than the onset of old age....... :devil:

:D  :D  :p  ;)

Rubbish. I’ve spent the last 3 years upgrading my c******m. There are many upgrade paths for c******m’s, the only downside being that with some (i.e. non-standard engines) you can’t sell back to the factory. Big deal, you’d get more selling privately anyway. :)

I drink beer by the way :arse:

Rubbish. I’ve spent the last 3 years upgrading my c******m. There are many upgrade paths for c******m’s, the only downside being that with some (i.e. non-standard engines) you can’t sell back to the factory. Big deal, you’d get more selling privately anyway.

Spy in the camp, spy in the camp

Only jokin

I'd like both and I'm sure i'd love them equally

c******m owner here :0

Pollocka, based on your reqirements especially the less than £10k and room for bags I would probably go the Westfield route. You should pick up a pretty nice one for that money that's not too old.

I actually picked up a W reg c******m (700 miles on clock) and trailer within your budget BUT I got it mainly for racing, track days and with some weekend driving thrown in. Absolutely fantastic car for me but just wouldn't work for your intended use.

I'd look to buy one soon if I were you- warmer weathers coming so prices will start firming up.

MikeW

Thanks for all the help guys, I think you've swung this floating voter :D

Blatman (or anyone) How much for the QED42H cams, how do they affect the drivability, is it really peaky or do you keep good low end power too?

Couple of other things I thought of (daydreaming in work) How high do they rev with a Ford/Vx engine?

Do they give a good engine/exhaust note (are there many exhasts to choose from)?

Do you get nice pops and bangs from the exhaust?

Sorry, the big kid is coming out in me...

BobM, I'm on the Wirral so Denbigh moor and the rest of North Wales is just an hour away...speaking of which I found a couple of nice roads for the first time a week or so ago. The B4501 to Cerrigydrudion on the A5 and then the B5105 to Ruthin. Very quiet and possibly nicer than the usual A543.

Pollocka

You will still have a tractable motor if you do not got too made with tuning a Vx/Zetec. My Zetec delivers 210bhp and will take full throttle in 5th gear at 1500rpm with out complaining. It is set to red line at 7500rpm and IMO sounds great. My car is about 610kg with a full tank of fuel and does not go to bad.

If you want pops and bangs the go for a car on carbs or get a fuel injected car set up badly :0 but you will not get such good fuel consumption.

((Ps. My cars faster than Blatmans) that should wind him up nicely)  :devil:

No idea how much QED cams cost. QED will probably know.

180bhp is about as low tuned as you'll get a Vx, so it's a nunney cat. They don't really get peaky until you get above 230-240bhp, IMO, and with fuel injection, they're still easy enough to drive around town. They're less easy at thoise sorts of outputs on carbs though. AT 180bhp on carbs it's a nunney cat too.....and if you want pops and bangs, carbs are the way to go.

Mine revs to 6800, with a hard cut rev limiter at 7200. Do they sound great? Compared to what?

Have a listen to this 260+bhp Vx engined c******m as it passes through 140mph, and tell me it doesn't sound good....it's 7.6megs, but it's well worth it........

Matt........I'll concede when you set faster times than me on any sprint course you care to name :p  :p  :devil:  :devil:

Evenin' mate......

Matt........I'll concede when you set faster times than me on any sprint course you care to name        

Evenin' mate......

:D Evnin

What's power to weight ratio like in a 2.0L Vauxhall Westy? I need something over 250bhp/ton to wipe the smug grin off a mate with a 350bhp Evo VII

As others have said, most decent Westies will be quicker than an Evo upto about 80 or so, and will be quicker on tight roads. My other car's an Evo VII - one of the main differences I've noticed on trackdays isn't so much acceleration, it's braking distances. The Westies are still on full chat long after I've dropped the anchors in the Evo. The Evo kills 'em in the wet though! :devil: