Help! I need convincing

pollocka

Hiya,

I'm in the market for a Westie/c******m type car, and have been to the Lotus 7 Club board and got lots of good advice about them, but one of your members (chrisbin) has been poaching them and convinced me to come here.

Here's the situation...

I want a weekend car that I can learn to driver properly in...

I want something quick, but more importantly it must handle like a dream and be very communicative....

I'd like to be able to repair/tune it myself so it must be easy to work on....

I'd like it to cost <£10k be fairly cheap to insure and not have silly petrol bills...

I'd want to use it for weekends away, so it must be able to hold a couple of small bags, and have some protection from the elements....

Is there a Westie out there for me? Or should I go back to the c******m board :0 ?

Ade

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pollocka

• Blatman

• gregh

• westy

Is the badge on the front important to you ?  If so, get the c******m  :p

If not, you'll probably get a new, better specced car for your money by opting for a Westfield.

good old Chrisbin, his not even on commission :D

Welcome to the Westfield Sports car club, our red leader will be along any moment to invite you join but in the mean time have a browse through the cars for sale section on the forum.

may be here as well

From what you have said I'm sure a Westfield will easily meet your needs.....

Badge doesn't matter and I'm a skinny git so size doesn't matter either.

What spec car do you think I'd get for <£10k?

my old westy sold for 10k heres the spec.

(the 10k included the Quaife Gearbox)

And whatever car you decide on - you can always join the WSCC - no matter what you drive - just get out and enjoy yourself in your choice  ;)  :D  :)  :D  :D  :D  Don't forget to look at Birkin as well  ;)  :)

Get yourself booked in for a test drive at as many manufacturers as you can before purchase.

Did I just say check out Birkin  :blush:  :blush:  what am I doing  :blush:  :)  but they are also a nice car and well priced  :blush:  :D  :blush:  I'd never make a good car salesman  :blush:  :(

10K will get you a crossflow c******m that's 10+ years old, and/or *maybe* an early 1400cc K series model. You won't see anything with more than 130bhp under the bonnet.

Get a Westfield, and you are firmly in wide bodied (desirable) independently sprung (compared to c******m's "top of the range" De Dion set up) cars of no more than 5 years old territory, with 160+bhp 2.0l Vauxhall or 1.8/2.0l Zetec 16 valves.

Insurance depends on your age, but much more than 250-300 quid, and I'd be surprised. Is fuel consumption such an issue? If so, look for an injected car. 2.0l engines on 45's won't get much more than mid 20's to the gallon, amd *much* less when pressing on, or on a track. A 1.7 x-flow in either a Westfield or a c******m won't be much better. The 1400cc K series will need filling up less than a diesel. It'll be about as quick as one too........

One final point. You'll get to completely opposite views from the two boards. Us lot, just like our friends over on Blatchat, are understandably partisan when it comes to people asking us to advise which car to go for. The best way is to compare specs of similarly priced cars, and then get along to some area meets. You'll be able to blag a ride with almost anybody, and there is no substitute for having your bum in a seat.

Good luck, and remember, Westfields rule............

What's the difference between wide and normal bodied?

What's power to weight ratio like in a 2.0L Vauxhall Westy? I need something over 250bhp/ton to wipe the smug grin off a mate with a 350bhp Evo VII :D

Where are you based? I'd recommend getting down to some meets/track days for both marques and seeing what you think from there.

IMHO I got a Westie last year for circa £10k, 3 years old, 180 bhp, Zetec, LSD, rollbar, Yokos 32Rs, etc etc.

Similiar spec'd c******m was not possible for that money.

If your buget is £10K then go for a Westfield.

If you are looking to get a new one, stay away from a Westfield.

Remember if you do get a Cat you will be expected to make full use of the rev limiter *bam bam bam* oh change gear :D

My boggo wide body (2" wider per side in the cockpit than a narrow car/c******m, and several inches longer.......means you can get luggage/stuff in behind the seats...............) Vx 2.0l car with a pair of cheap, no mods to the engine required QED42H cams, puts out 180+bhp, and weighs 600Kg's, with absolutely zero attention paid to weight loss. It'll p*** all over an Evo, except past about 90-100mph, when aerodynamics mean acceleration gets a kicking. Throw in some bends/a roundabout, and any Se7en type car with more than about 120bhp will whip allcomers............

Sounds just the ticket Blatman :devil: I'm not bothered about high speeds, just Welsh roads.

Just read a couple Evo's TCOTY issues, but they only had bike engined Westys, they seem to think they are a bit softer than the c******m, not quite as much feel in steering and more body roll...are we talking degrees of greatness or is the c******m obviously superior in ths department?

:0......OK, Pollocka, here's your solution. Buy a £7,000 Westfield and spend the rest on a used HD Sportster; that way you've got spunking performance and kudos. Go the Catterham route and you'll only be spending big bucks on kudross.

;) ......besides, most Catterham owners wear toupees and are as common as muck.