Stuff to watch over the winter.

Thrustyjust

The Spanish are big on hillclimbing, and the BEC cars from BRC, Speedcar and others are super quick. A road-legal one would be the nuts!

• Like 1

I know it's 'Them Other Lot', but 60 cars at the start and 95 by lunchtime, for a fish & chip run?I will be absolutely over the moon to get 20+ for our Scottish Lowlands Mystery Run in August.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Club seems to have often been very successful in organising big, and I mean big, runs and events like that. That said, it’s also caused some real issues occasionally, leading to one massive, massive debacle, that came at least close to, litigation etc. when it all went wrong, one year.

That was quite a watchable, well edited video....:xmas:

23 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Yeah, the Club seems to have often been very successful in organising big, and I mean big, runs and events like that. That said, it’s also caused some real issues occasionally, leading to one massive, massive debacle, that came at least close to, litigation etc. when it all went wrong, one year.

With Seloc we needed an MSA pass or something for more than 6 or 8 cars on an event on the road, I believe.

For some reason, a figure of around a dozen cars sticks in my mind. It’s some time since that one was discussed though. I’d have to look into it, but I vaguely recall it applying to certain specific types of events only.

I can see that the locals would get upset when 95 cars all of a sudden turn up and take over a car park, or villagers getting tetchy over a long line of 95 side exhausts making a racket while they sip Pims on their croquet lawns. Bet the chippie owners weren't grumbling though! There will always be one person who moans to the council, police etc.

I think for the mystery run, the staggered start will spread out the cars, the leisurely pace with no requirement to keep up with cars in front (dodgy speed and overtaking), and the day being a run/tour devoid of any timing/competition, will negate any issues.

• Like 2

Brad, we’ll need to liase on this one, but essentially, I was right, twelve cars is the magic number, staggered or not doesn’t matter, but if we have more, there are a couple of things we need to do. Nothing too onerous though. The time line will start not more than six months pre event, and not less than four for one item, and two for one of the others.

Probably easiest if we have a chat on the phone first thing in the new year. I’ll do all the notifying on behalf of the Club, I’ll just need certain info in certain forms from you. Like I say it’s essentially basic/trivial info, but just makes sure everything is compliant!

• Like 1

Dave, you're a champ. I was a bit surprised that no-one from the committee broached this last time, as it's the club's name if it goes Pete Tong. I'll PM you, thanks.

To get the thread back on track, here's another vid.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

For some reason, a figure of around a dozen cars sticks in my mind. It’s some time since that one was discussed though. I’d have to look into it, but I vaguely recall it applying to certain specific types of events only.

That would be the Criminal Justice Act 1984 (IIRC...) which prohibits organised gatherings of more than 12 people. If a gathering is organised and more than 12 are likely then the Police must be informed.

Centred around the Lotus 7 Club Le Man trip (which I have attended more than once) and involved a "cross-over" member of the L7Club/WSCC and no it's not me :oops: