E-bike conversions

DamperMan

Just now, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

That takes me back! Manitou forks... always a tough call between them and Rock Shock Judy's in the early 90's

Still got my Marin Pine Mountain in the garage gathering dust...

Add a motor to it then!

Just now, Kit Car Electronics said:

Add a motor to it then!

Haha - yeah why not. Have to rebuild it first - the bottom bracket is seized in and foobar'd - pretty sure all the bits are there somewhere, including the Judy's with what must be very hard elastomers by now.

"Judys hard elastomers" defo sounds very wrong!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Haha - yeah why not. Have to rebuild it first - the bottom bracket is seized in and foobar'd - pretty sure all the bits are there somewhere, including the Judy's with what must be very hard elastomers by now.

"Judys hard elastomers" defo sounds very wrong!

Easy decision then - knock the bracket out and replace with a Bafang crank drive motor

@Kit Car Electronics what sort off ball park figure for such a conversion Mike?

Might be a great idea for my Wife's bike - she fancies getting out cycling and this would certainly help persuade her and thus get me back on mine as a bonus.

With new parts (they are all Chinese from just a few manufacturers) you'd be around £400 - £600 depending on what you choose and what else gets upgraded along the way...

Oh, and unless your budget is large (well over £1000), in my view you'll always get a better finished result by converting a nice base bike, rather than buying a new complete ebike. Plus you then have the option to ride above 15mph with assistance off road...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike... You never cease to amaze me with your skills.

:yes:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Arm said:

Hi. Mine is the Marin Rocky Ridge mb.

this one? For something that nice, I'd either get a rear hub motor laced into your existing rim, or at least pick a matching black rim wheel like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retrofit-Kit-36V350W-26-Rear-Motor-Cassette-E-Bike-Hub-Conversion-LCD-Display/302237557385?epid=591719932&hash=item465ec32289:g:f50AAOSwC9VZhBAQ

Then add a 36V 10Ah bottle battery, plus the V3 Cycle analyst. Put the motor speed controller in a small frame bag to keep it subtle, add hydraulic brake sensors (or hall sensors plus magnets on the brake levers) and you're off...

marin_rockyridge.jpg.156585e33487df47fd14def0fabd372c.jpg

• Like 1

Not an E BIKE but I’ve made this P bike lol

I also then made the orange drift trike at home totally from scratch haha, electric start 58mph 4 speed 110cc ; 

C6994F17-2A20-4BA9-A253-6E859847CF33.jpeg

7D35DB04-F051-420D-AAAC-193611556D58.jpeg

E0891C93-C59B-48C4-BCC1-70919A7F8ECA.jpeg

363EFE82-05FF-49D4-BEF5-10B0B756B913.jpeg

404EDA97-A0B2-4504-9A32-B0EE4313CBF8.jpeg

F0677077-EFE6-45C3-9441-BEE0B69B02A2.jpeg

09EB4E10-7FC9-49BB-A9AA-8C91B108BC47.jpeg

• Like 1

It’ll do about 30mph, 80cc and I sorted a longer more motorcycle looking exhaust later (see original short one in this picture below). So it sounds more like a bsa bantam than a strimmer now lol! 

On the bike trainer to set up the carb and chain tensioner 

however not used on public roads as it’s not mot’d, registered, insured, taxed, etc- BORING :)  

8579FA7B-4875-46F5-A0F5-C6F210AA0FE4.jpeg

D1763554-31EB-4FB2-B339-91FC149223B8.jpeg

• Like 1

Where did you buy the wheel motors.  Are they branded?.   I prefer the look of the rear wheel conversion and I guess it’s more natural to ride.   ?

Love the P bike! That petrol tank is so great! :laugh:

• Thanks 1

I can tell. I get exactly the same reaction to the photos, just want to have a go!!

• Like 1

It’s still fun even with the Westfield here too now! 

Nightshift tonight :( got back off holiday yesterday evening, all I want to do is play with the Westy, got new upper balljoint to fit, new coolant temp sensor (probably not needed but matter of preventative perhaps) want to replace 2 missing studs on the boot where previous owner “misplaced” them forcefully I’d say lol oops.  And trying to decide wether to fit my vinyl bonnet number plate in place of the standard plastic one. Better make sure I line it up well! 

• Like 1