E-bike conversions

DamperMan

5 hours ago, DamperMan said:

Where did you buy the wheel motors.  Are they branded?.   I prefer the look of the rear wheel conversion and I guess it’s more natural to ride.   ?

Both bikes have Bafang/8-Fun motors, but mine is a larger (more torque handling), heavier BPM motor than the rear hub CST motor on my wife's bike. I also have a 20A controller against her 15A, although performance is similar with her much lighter weight... Both motors are wound for a no-load speed of about 21mph (code13 I think)- under load they run about 18-19mph where allowed. The front hub is surprisingly nice to ride as it keeps the steering very stable and relaxing (even on gravel), but obviously it's rubbish for popping up kerbs.

My kits came from whooshbikes, but I think they might only be selling crank kits now- take a look at bmsbattery.com for direct from China prices.

If you buy the parts individually from China, you can also avoid the awful kit brake levers and LCD displays...

• Like 1

I'd hold off on the e-bikes for a while, I was looking into a DIY e-bike myself, i'd be aiming for 500bhp/tonne :p and around 60mph top end.

The media seems to be smearing e-bikes at the moment, demonising them, and I think this is a  sign that the govt may be intending to force reg plates, tax and vehicle insurance onto e-bike owners, which could mean some sort of "MOT" type inspection to check they are legal.......... They already have to have a manufacturers plate attached to them to confirm motor power and top speed, which technically makes DIY e-bike illegal anyway.

I like the idea of a bicycle capable of wiping the floor with most cars, but i'm holding back and waiting to see what happens.

This is already the case though, for e-mopeds and e-motorbikes. E-bikes are fundamentally different in that they are electrically assisted pedal cycles of limited power and speed. Sales are increasing exponentially globally- there would be no need to add extra beaurocracy to a mildly assisted pedal cycle. 

Yes, you can build one that's as powerful as a small motorbike, but then it's a motorbike. If you build one that attempts to comply with the law and ride it responsibly then I can't personally see any problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

If you build one that attempts to comply with the law and ride it responsibly then I can't personally see any problem.

I think this is the point, they don't want people building their own, they want a nice chunk of bureaucracy to control who can and cannot build them, so that there is accountability if one turns out to be "illegal".

They're also really environmentally concious..... Up until the point where they're not getting enough tax. Hence using a 200 year old law to ban go-peds, "hoverboards" ,segways and those powered skateboards.

Interesting article just spotted--  September 20, 2018   https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/15mph-slow-traffic-retailer-says-faster-e-bikes-will-improve-safety-394970

‘15mph is too slow in traffic’ – retailer says faster e-bikes will improve safety.

Electronic bikes are growing hugely in popularity which has prompted inevitable discussion of their safety and speed limits.

But Scott Snaith from e-bike seller 50Cycles.com says the current speed restrictions are a hindrance to rider safety.

Mr Snaith said: “If we’re being sensible, we actually need to relax the laws around e-bikes, not make them more stringent.

Mr Snaith says that the speed limit should be increased to 20mph, and the power upped from 250 watts to 350, or even 500 watts.

He said: “If you’re negotiating busy roundabouts or junctions – and particularly if you’re slightly wary – an extra boost of power might just accelerate you out of harm’s way.”

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 19/09/2018 at 11:47, Kevin Pullen - WSCC Treasurer said:

Yep you can’t go over 250W for on road use, anything above that and if you get stopped you will get the book thrown at you, friend had a 1000W 48v brushless hub motor conversion got caught going over the 30mph limit 

got the book thrown at him, no tax no insurance not type approvedlost his license. Think local magistrates trying to make an example of him

But surely if he stuck to the 15 mph limit he is fine,

police cant catch criminals now a days.only government trying to cash in on tax etc

5 minutes ago, Woodspoiler said:

But surely if he stuck to the 15 mph limit he is fine,

police cant catch criminals now a days.only government trying to cash in on tax etc

On 20/09/2018 at 15:03, Kit Car Electronics said:

It's ok, I have a tin foil helmet :d

I was interested in the mid drive bafang bbs02 48 volt 750 w 13 amp kit

any good do u know,any one in Norfolk area that can supply and fit kit for a fee do u know

Can anyone on this site supply and fit a e bike kit,for a fee of course 

looking at the mid drive 750 watt bafang kit with 48volt battery 13 amp

set to 15 mph of cause 

I’ve ordered all the bits to convert my bike and the due delivery date is today!...   i’m Just going for a rear wheel motor type drive.   250w /1000w switchable so it will be road legal.   I’m going to hide as much of the gubbins as possible like battery and controller on a rear rack.  

I looked at the mid drive setups but it Seems  a lot of torque to power though a normal bike chain/ sprockets/ freewheel unless they are updated as well. 

• Like 1

Seems to work ok in practice, just change chain more regularly and be wary of gear changes (full motor assist while trying to go up the cassette makes a mess).

Missed that window of opertunity... When I lived with my parents the answer was No.. I forgot/ was not interested for then many years...  a few years back I fancied a classic motorcycle... the Wife said NO too.    Something about being selfish and not realising I had responsibilities :)

If you have to have a faster more powerful  E Bike would it not be better to convert a pucker motorbike to electric power ?