Westfield article on Autocar

geoffd

36 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

Go drive a sport 250 in the wet on r888s and tell me that! In fact go drive a sport 250 in the wet on any tyres and tell me that.

I'm no Fernando Alonso by any stretch but I consider myself reasonably competent behind the wheel. Been around higher power cars and RWD since I turned 19 and could afford the insurance. Ran a stripped out R1 engined 7. I would happily have taken a TC system if it were available had I still owned the sport 250. Or even just a switchable map to get rid of the torque increase.

Just so the s2000 boys know what the T word is all about:p:d

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Some good all those T's if you don't know what to do with them:d

I used a ford lsd anyhow as you can use either (If going down the starter kit route) the Mazda LSD always been an option.

Random question. But if you don't take the lsd option do you get an open Mazda diff? Or is it one of those compulsory options?

3 minutes ago, Sycho said:

Some good all those T's if you don't know what to do with them:d

I knew what I wanted to do with them. It's just the laws of grip wouldn't allow it:d

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DonPeffers said:

Steve the Westfield 250 price list has £895 for LSD upgrade so do you know if that is a recent addition, say after you had started your build or is LSD only offered on factory built cars?

LSD wont stop you going into a hedge, it just leaves 2 black lines before going into said hedge.....................

Just to add, took my 250 out with no lid, at 6.30 am Saturday morning, first time in the dark, plus rain and fog on the Somerset levels, Fortunately on roads I know. I'm no Alonso either (old enough to be his dad!), it was an "interesting" drive, but with a very light right foot survived to tell the tale. One benefit of the torque is that you don't have to be changing gear if you don't want to, I'm finding the 250 is very tractable, but you just have to tweek the throttle and you're off up the road like the proverbial. If traction control was available I would be interested.

6 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

LSD wont stop you going into a hedge, it just leaves 2 black lines before going into said hedge.....................

If you're gonna go may as well go in style:d

• Haha 1

I always find this attitude to traction control "intersting". I'm not talking about the production car stuff, but systems suitable for, and set up for Westfields. And yes, with a defeat option as well, for, ahem, on track, or similar situations where it's quiet, you're on your own and your concentration is turned up to 11.

But the rest of the time, just bimbling around, you know what, there's a serious case for traction/skid control systems.

I can't begin to count the number of members i've talked to over the years that have had off's etc, sometimes with damage, sometimes without, that have never said a word on the Boardroom, even years later. And plenty of good, experienced drivers too.

Even the best of us benefit from a helping hand every so often.

But then i remember how up in arms many were when fuel injection started coming in....

I wish I had a 250 to play with- I have a feeling that I could build a system to generate a CAN torque intervention request that just might work on the OEM Ford ECU.

• Like 3

The article is interesting but leaves me thinking that rather than doing one thing half arsed, they are moving to more things at 1/3 arsed. 

Whos gonna buy a £30k Westfield with poor build quality and no spare parts or accessories without months of waiting. 

Wouldnt move me away from a boxer or similar. 

I bet it’s way north of 30k too, given the price for the current eco boost car we were lamenting recently. 

1 minute ago, shrops-paul said:

Whos gonna buy a £30k Westfield with poor build quality and no spare parts or accessories without months of waiting.

People are buying them now! 

I agree though I bet it ends up well north of 30k. A specced up sport 250 is 35k and that uses a chassis and bodywork that hasn't been developed or modified to suit. A whole new design is going to cost £££ and inevitably will end up on the list price.

27 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

I wish I had a 250 to play with- I have a feeling that I could build a system to generate a CAN torque intervention request that just might work on the OEM Ford ECU.

@Kit Car Electronics Maybe you should request a freebie engine swap from the factory for "development purposes" :d

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shrops-paul said:

The article is interesting but leaves me thinking that rather than doing one thing half arsed, they are moving to more things at 1/3 arsed. 

Wouldnt move me away from a boxer or similar. 

I bet it’s way north of 30k too, given the price for the current eco boost car we were lamenting recently. 

People buy all sorts of cars that are not what we would say is worthwhile. look at Ginetta, they build fiberglass cars with a steel chassis and they sell plenty of them without all the modern trappings. A boxster would do everything probably better same as TVR's in the past when they were not cheap, fortunately we are not all the same.

4 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Shame you're the other side of the country, or you could play with mine. Guessing it couldn't be done remotely???

26 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

Shame you're the other side of the country, or you could play with mine. Guessing it couldn't be done remotely???

You could move to sunny Essex :sun:

In theory a quick test of a torque limiter could be done remotely, but in practice it probably wouldn't be easy. Do you have an OBD conbector fitted to your loom? Maybe we could do a test at Stoneleigh...

• Haha 1

Not at all bothered about traction control, but switchable ABS would be nice.