Group module Practice run in anglesey Sprint

maurici

I agree that we need to get a decision from LDMC and I will try to make contact asap now I am back from Hols

Another thought maybe that two approaches to practice are required, one for dry and one for wet conditions to further reduce the concerns?

Graham

There is no time to define all this... we are two weeks from now the event.

Andecision must be made and stated.

This is not a bbq with friends where we can walk down the pub if the fire doesn't light or if it rains...

Pulling different options has put us in this situation, so we need an statement.

Or they go ahead, or the revoque it and it goes back of how it was.

2 hours ago, graham frankland said:

Better value for money has been asked for by many entrants so it would be good to support the Longton initiative if possible?

I understand and appreciate the concerns of the proposed approach to practice!

If the batching of cars is reasonable and if overtaking is NOT permitted during the practice/familiarisation laps then perhaps some of the concerns to away?

The objective needs to be to get to the Timed runs as quickly and as safely as possible!

If this is a sensible proposal then someone will need to talk to the Longton guys!

Graham

By 'timed runs' I presume you mean competitive runs?

The irony is that we will lose a timed practice run in order to pootle round a track avoiding other people.

There is no reason to support this as it is a terrible idea and most of the people who had already entered were quite happy with the 2 practice and 2 timed runs that have been the norm for decades!

• Like 1

The solution would be to offer it as an option. All those in roadgoing cars who would like to do a 10 minute open pit lane session first thing instead of practice can do that, those who want to do the two practice runs they signed up for can continue as normal. If the take up is good it will save time, if not it's only 10 minutes wasted and not an hour.

• Like 2

Just had a reply to my email to Gavin saying that Chairman and Clerk of the Course are considering the email comments that they have received. I am sure they are also monitoring forums but worth getting emails off to Gavin to provide LDMS with your views. Hopefully sense will prevail.

I really am at a loss over this decision to introduce a new method for practice - LDMC tried some new things a couple of years ago and it turned into a disaster - why mess with something that is not broken?

Also last year they took a vote on whether to run 1 or 2 laps of the National course on the Saturday - the vote went for one as it was viewed that this would give more timed runs.

It is good that LDMC are looking at innovative ways of increasing "value for money" but this initiative is misguided! I hope sense will prevail and they return to the standard format for practice and ditch the GMPS.

Also Lotus Seven Club members have been raising similar concerns on their forum - clicky

I understand that they are having a meeting today and we should hear something soon. I have agree with John Williams that I will post it as soon as I know anything further

• Like 1

Just for clarity.....I am led to believe that in reality once you go out for the practice you do a minimum of 2 laps and then return to the paddock when you have had enough or the timed session expires. They would be no refuelling or going out again!

23 minutes ago, terry everall said:

Just for clarity.....I am led to believe that in reality once you go out for the practice you do a minimum of 2 laps and then return to the paddock when you have had enough or the timed session expires. They would be no refuelling or going out again!

To be honest, I think its the amount of cars out at once that's the issue. 10 -15 is simply too many. Half of that would be on the verge of too many. A max of 5, I would say 'may' work but then what time does that really save over the conventional practice method?

Lets wait until I have  response as we are all assuming we know how the proposed to run the sessions 

I think we do. Or at least I hope we do, else they haven't done a very good job of writing the regs :laugh:

• Like 2

For the future, maybe the solution/compromise is for one lap in a group, maybe in a high speed convoy, then individual timed laps as usual for the second practice lap?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stephenh said:

For the future, maybe the solution/compromise is for one lap in a group, maybe in a high speed convoy, then individual timed laps as usual for the second practice lap?

Actually if new to a venue this could be very useful to a driver but not as an option to practice for those who are familiar.

And sorted.

Longton reverted back to normal bussines.

I think all of us should be there on saturday after the awards where will be an open discussion regarding this format for future ocasions.

@Marto303 please... fill the entry form ASAP... Need to beat you with the supercheaty things youre using.

As Maurici says LDMC have now email competitors and issued a statement to the effect that " normal practice" will apply. There will be an open discussion after the awards on Sat night when they will provide more info on their ideas and listen to comments and objections etc.

LDMC do listen to what people say 

See you guys there

• Like 2