Beefburgers - cheese and/or coleslaw..?

John K

5 minutes ago, John K said:

I've just seen a picture of heaven and its basement brewery shaped.

Do you have a field full of moo cows to make burgers from as well..?

Funnily enough there's a field next to my house but it's too overgrown with trees, etc., for grazing. Plenty of muntjac deer though and I am reliably informed that they are good eating. Just got to catch one of the blighters - they really can run and jump when spooked!

On the homebrew my self..  

image.thumb.jpg.ab9bd78a735624c3fe0deece26f6149b.jpg

For some slutty food...   upgrade from burger to steak.   Bacon, cheese and girkings.   Lots of onion rings...    

I like the glass; very elegant. Doubtless my two demon granddaughters would soon knock that over! I haven't done a lot with lager style beers mainly because ale is my preference, but also because my keg is too big for a fridge and lager must be cold. It took years (more than I care to admit) to get ale right, and I haven't enough lifetime left to perfect lager too! 

Weißbier (if that's what it is) goes against the grain (geddit?) somewhat 'cos it's cloudy by design, and clear ale is the ultimate aim in home brewing. Must try it though...

I cheat.   I use the home brew cans.   It's very easy.   Yes weissbier.   Although I can't call it that it's the German purety rules! ... German style wheat beer!.   I did barrel my beer but now I bottle it.  So I can put some in the fridge. The down side is the Mrs can count my progress.    It's very easy to drink!   If I'm just having one I'll spin the bottle to pick up the yeast and have a cloudy one.    A good yeast makes the difference with weissbier.    But if I'm having a few I'll leave the sediment in the bottle.  My digestive system does not always like yeast either in bread or beer.

@Man On The Clapham Omnibus and @DamperMan,

Grumpy at the both of you - I really do like Wheat beer. So reading this at 9am with no prospect of a pint of it for at least 4 hours is torture...

My preference is Ale > Wheat beer > Larger (but never the regular stuff like Carling or Fosters), but sometimes when the mood / weather / food (Kebab, Mexican or Indian) / entertainment stars align a cold bottle of Corona / Moretti / Kingfisher does hit the spot.

Back to wheat beer - especially Hoegaarden - and why do I feel this will go down like the anchovy comment, would you ever put a slice of orange in it? The first time I got served it I was in Atlanta airport and I thought what the devil, but I actually really liked it and have 'done it' quite a few times since  :getmecoat:

• Like 1

Forgot about the burger.

IMG_0582.thumb.JPG.57b2c140abc23845ec7c700889c82a67.JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DamperMan said:

I cheat.   I use the home brew cans.   It's very easy.   Yes weissbier.   Although I can't call it that it's the German purety rules! ... German style wheat beer!.   I did barrel my beer but now I bottle it.  So I can put some in the fridge. The down side is the Mrs can count my progress.    It's very easy to drink!   If I'm just having one I'll spin the bottle to pick up the yeast and have a cloudy one.    A good yeast makes the difference with weissbier.    But if I'm having a few I'll leave the sediment in the bottle.  My digestive system does not always like yeast either in bread or beer.

I cheat too

img279.jpg

This makes a very good ale. However I do not follow the instructions, I do boil it until the wort 'breaks' and then simmer it for ten minutes, and I use 1Kg of sugar, ferment it with a heating band for two weeks, then keg it with finings. Blast a half pint through the tap using natural condition CO2 to clear yeast residue in the tap, and then drink - about a week after kegging. Additional CO2 is often needed and I have a pub cylinder and regulator to put a little gas over it. One of my kegs doesn't hold the natural pressure that well, so additional gas is sometimes needed. My basement is usually 15ºC-19ºC whatever outside temperature it is. 

18 hours ago, John K said:

Linda is out with the work girls tonight so I am settling in for a Three Bs night

Beer, Beefburgers and B-movies

I've got some really nice burgers to fry up and fresh crusty rolls for them.

But I'm now torn, can you put cheese AND coleslaw on a burger? Or is it one or the other... ???

Yes. It's awesome. 

I've only tried to boil the wort once on a kit.   Basically it bubbled up and no sauspan would have been lar enough to contain it.

All the local home brew shops have gone so either I order stuff on line or go to Wilkinsons...   I bought a cerveza mex style lager for some summer drinking which was ok...   the wheat beer below is not bad at all.   IMG_0497.thumb.PNG.e41b54265e9e0f2354e5cdddc67771a9.PNG

Ahh.. Nice to see some more fellow home brewers on here. :t-up:

I dabble with it.. I have a "home brewed brewery" that covers the whole process - I mash my own grain and even grow some of the hops.

The garage alternates between being full of bits of Westfield and being full of brewing gear.:laugh:

Kevin

I view brewing as an irritating necessity to having good ale at less than 50p per pint. The Art of Brewing kit does the job nicely and costs about £12 - 13 for 40 pints plus sugar, cost of the equipment and CO2, plus electricity to brew. It amazing how quickly a 40 pint barrel seems to empty itself... Of course with wastage and general losses it's more like 38 pints and that's my defence. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Cheers Blatters! It's home made in my basement brewery too... :praise:

sIub3hV.jpg

Oh 4 forks ache... :d 

Well Blatters me old fruit, when your only local is run by foodie people who serve steaks on blocks of wood and chips in a tiny fryer cage lined with a kind of sterile plastic version of the Evening Standard, what choice does one have!  :oops:

The stock room...  sadly only about 20 bottles left...   need to get some more brewing... I have enough bottles for 80 pints so I usually do one batch after the next.   It's a nice safe feeling having 80 pints of beer waiting for me at home.. :)

IMG_0498.thumb.JPG.97e095951b8cf2d666d4b8956f34fc21.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Well Blatters me old fruit, when your only local is run by foodie people who serve steaks on blocks of wood and chips in a tiny fryer cage lined with a kind of sterile plastic version of the Evening Standard, what choice does one have!  :oops:

I think I've eaten there. Was it in the Chalfonts? :d