• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

front splitter and canards

snowy892

Speaking of which, an aerofoil of the rough size of a splitter could generate about 50N force at 80mph, so it seems possible that there might be some small benefit...

19 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

Some just have to spoil it by trying to qoute scientific research and principles :d

We've to justify the expense some how! :p

SO - it  works coz I felt it work!

:popcorn:

:getmecoat:

Sorry Dave :d. I told the wife it needs more carbon fibre to be better on the road. She fell for it , I am buying lots this weekend. Nothing scientific just worded right .............. and I know it will work too :black-westy:

Where people get confused though is thinking they're getting downforce etc. They aren't, not in these instances anyway, as Justin said, you'd need something more akin to the Flymo's mods for that.

However, extensive Winston el testing by various people and businesses of the Seven style shape has shown one thing in common; they all tend to suffer disproportionately high lift at the nose cone, and depending on how the other end is treated, either little lift, or fairly neutral at the rear of the the car, some even manage to achieve a little bit of downforce. (emphasis on little) 

The point of many of the standard front end treatments is trying to reduce the front end lift relative to the rear of the car and get a bit closer to neutral. This is achievable, to various extents and has been confirmed in Winston el testing on Caterhams before now.

10 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Where people get confused though is thinking they're getting downforce etc. They aren't, not in these instances anyway, as Justin said, you'd need something more akin to the Flymo's mods for that.

However, extensive Winston el testing by various people and businesses of the Seven style shape has shown one thing in common; they all tend to suffer disproportionately high lift at the nose cone, and depending on how the other end is treated, either little lift, or fairly neutral at the rear of the the car, some even manage to achieve a little bit of downforce. (emphasis on little) 

The point of many of the standard front end treatments is trying to reduce the front end lift relative to the rear of the car and get a bit closer to neutral. This is achievable, to various extents and has been confirmed in Winston el testing on Caterhams before now.

My Westie doesnt suffer lift at 130 mph............................ allegedly ............:oops:. not a tea tray in sight either......

Front end lift is applicable to only a few Westfields who can overcome the brick aerodynamics and attain the speeds to make the car unstable.

Now comes the debate at what speed. I'll get me coat on this one, naw only joking lol

Actually the Caterham based testing I'm mainly recollecting was done largely at 100 mph, and even at such "low" speeds in the aero world, the forces were quite significant on the pre-treatment vehicle.

That's write up does not ring a bell as they did not experiment with windscreen and such like.

Can't figure out how the windscreen really affects things though, being a) near the fore-aft centre of mass of the car (thus not affecting understeer / oversteer balance) and b) being way behind the airflow going to the underside of the nose cone?

2 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

Removing a windscreen improves mpg though!

Never on the agenda of Westie owning for me. but prefer to see the screen covered in dead creatures than my face for an extra minus 1 mpg

This observation comes from 2x trips to Cadwell around 100 miles - first time with windscreen and passenger - only just made it.  Second time with aero (and no passenger) made it easily, car was much quicker at high speeds and was refuelled on site before lunch!

This is the only mpg calculation I've ever made!  (Sorry for the thread drift)!

12 hours ago, AdamR said:

Can't figure out how the windscreen really affects things though, being a) near the fore-aft centre of mass of the car (thus not affecting understeer / oversteer balance) and b) being way behind the airflow going to the underside of the nose cone?

I need to get the magazine articles for you. It explains it better than what I could.

• Like 1