Mains colour codes

John K

Have experiment with (proper) mains conditioners in the past. Results can be variable to say the least; we found that the quality of the transformers and filtering stages of the electronics in use made a huge difference - using a lot of Linn gear, with some very sophisticated power supplies already built in, minimized the benefits of quite a lot of the conditioners. Mains qualirpty itself being so variable at the point you plug into the wall had, naturally, a big influence.

Interestingly though, I do have colleagues in the industry, whose ears I trust, who have still found gain, even on the Linn gear, under their test situations.

2 hours ago, corsechris said:

The old Post Office trunk cables used to avoid all this trouble, every conductor was white

We had an early Indesit washer that was like that...

1 hour ago, corsechris said:

28 13A sockets??  Sounds like a job for some IEC mains distribution panels to me.....

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Or just use rack mount power strips, if you don't want to change plugs. The strips can always be screwed directly to shelves, or even the wall.

If all the sockets were in one place, I would have definitely gone down that route, but I am going to have 2 cupboards (these have 8 sockets in each and will store all the gear etc), 2 alcoves and 2 recesses and a wall mounted TV. So each of those needs its own little collection of 13A sockets. 4 of the 2x Gangs also have USB power outs.

4 of the sockets are mounted behind a access hatch just in case I need concealed power - and came in useful for the Phillips Hue Strip light power supplies.

I swore that if I ever built anything for myself, I would never use another power strip / extension lead. 

This pic shows the alcoves / cupboards. I'm almost happy I have cables going everywhere where needed so the covering plasterboard will go up in the next few weeks. If it isn't lined with MDF, it will be plastered.

For scale its a 55" screen on a nice cantilever mount. Shelves still to be planned.

59885a314b3e7_20170807_130948-Copy.jpg.d3a62e75108ced5b1a982e6830a0b4a7.jpg

Every time I wire in something 3 phase the motor turns the wrong way so I have to swop over 2 wires.   By law of averages one day I will be correct.  

28 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

Every time I wire in something 3 phase the motor turns the wrong way so I have to swop over 2 wires.   By law of averages one day I will be correct.  

Haha I know exactly what you mean I've even connected up a motor and then switched the phase's (because you always need to)to save me climbing back into a hole to do it after testing and guess what it was running backwards :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 17:23, Kit Car Electronics said:

bluetral

Got to say - this was genius. :yes:

It's working perfectly, not needed to look at the crib sheet since seeing this.

my Dad gave it to me 30 years ago - I always think of it when I open a plug :)

2nd. letter of Blue is L, that goes on the left, 2nd. letter of Brown is R ,  that goes on the right.   The wire let over obviously goes in the middle.  

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 13:19, John K said:

59885a314b3e7_20170807_130948-Copy.jpg.d3a62e75108ced5b1a982e6830a0b4a7.jpg

That's a lot of building work just to fit a Telly :)

3 minutes ago, SootySport said:

That's a lot of building work just to fit a Telly :)

Been doing it for so long, when I started, tellys were still made from Bakalite :down:

By coincidence, I happened to be doing a couple of days work at my old place recently and came across one of those 100 core cables. 50 twisted pairs for audio.  These are all coming out of one single cable, a PSN100.

Enjoy!

PSN100.jpeg

Last time I saw something like that, it was 20 years back on BP Grangemouth. I was responsible for specifying and procuring the first Siemens DSP???10000 Digital PBX for BP in the UK. We wanted to run a load of extensions out to a site compound and BT 'free issued' us with a kilometer of 100 pair, jelly filled armored cable. That was hard stuff to manhandle about...

• Like 1

The only vaguely armoured stuff I had to work with was inter building fibres. Wrapped in Kevlar and fibreglass. Still didn't stop the rats chewing through it though. Awkward stuff to put into an FTP, but not a patch on your armoured 100 pair I'm sure!

6 hours ago, John K said:

Last time I saw something like that, it was 20 years back on BP Grangemouth. I was responsible for specifying and procuring the first Siemens DSP???10000 Digital PBX for BP in the UK. We wanted to run a load of extensions out to a site compound and BT 'free issued' us with a kilometer of 100 pair, jelly filled armored cable. That was hard stuff to manhandle about...

We're still using that kit John.