Garage DIY help needed

Thrustyjust

So, time to do some DIY . I have flattened the garage ceiling today and am painting tomorrow with Polycell Crack free ceiling paint, which leaves a matt white finish, but what is the best paint for the walls ? I have painted them previously with cheapo emulsion and they have started to yellow weirdly for a non oil paint. Think I may have glossed them even longer ago and thats creeping through. So, do I paint it again with white emulsion or something else ? 

Also, am looking at a pair of roller shutter doors,so can anyone recommend anyone to supply and install in the south ? 

Want to be warmer in the garage Westie tinkering this winter and less rain and wind coming in to the garage !! 

• Like 1

For the paint I used dulux trade emulsion pretty tough stuff. 

I used a gliderol electric roller for my door. Just ordered from the factory and fitted myself. They are reasonably easy to fit. Just need a second pair of hands to lift the curtain into place. Went for the insulated aluminium roller. If you want a draft free fit you'll need the full box option basically boxes in the curtain area and you can seal round it. Very happy with it so far and been faultless in 18 months.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

For the paint I used dulux trade emulsion pretty tough stuff. 

I used a gliderol electric roller for my door. Just ordered from the factory and fitted myself. They are reasonably easy to fit. Just need a second pair of hands to lift the curtain into place. Went for the insulated aluminium roller. If you want a draft free fit you'll need the full box option basically boxes in the curtain area and you can seal round it. Very happy with it so far and been faultless in 18 months.

Funilly enough I was looking at the exact same roller shutter last night. It's definitely on my replacement list of things to do. The company I have been looking at is http://www.rollerdor.net and most of them have remote openers too.

As said above they are an easy DIY fit. :yes:

• Like 1

Personally I'd go for a sectional garage door, thicker insulation & more secure.

As for paint just use a decent brand masonry paint or emulsion if plastered.

• Like 1

white masonry paint

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Just had Skandor round to quote for the 2 replacements at £2350 . Sort of the ball park I was thinking. I did look at Rollerdor last night , but didnt 'quite' know how it was to fit with the lintel and frame I have. This quote was for 2 off roller doors in dark blue , 5 year warranty and 4 controllers. Was in the ballpark I was thinking and probably a few quid and less hassle having it fitted for me. I am waiting a call back from another local firm still. Both have excellent Checkatrade reviews. 

Security isnt a massive issue here, as we have only heard of one break in , in 15 years and thats because they didnt lock the front door. 

I am off to Wickes later for wall paint so thanks for the advice on that.

Next thing is flooring. I need to replace the rubber floor I glued down as has bubbled up and stretched. Potentially looking at plastic slot tiles, as I can change if they get damaged. Our garage floor does seem to not have a decent damp course, which is why the rubber has lifted. Any ideas on this too please.

I used this. Two tubs for a single garage including exposed ceiling and no coat already on the walls in some places. If only doing the walls and they are already painted, could get two coats in a single garage

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sandtex-ultra-smooth-masonry-paint-pure-brilliant-white-10ltr/23771

• Like 1

I need a new garage door too so will watch with interst

Cheers Darve, I have a double garage , which already painted , so wont soak in. Lots of choices but pointing to a smooth masonry paint rather than emulsion. 

That's not too bad a fitted price. I was getting quotes of 1500 plus for one bit bigger than a standard single. I think to buy mine it was around 800 delivered all in with the options I took.

Sectional doors are I agree better insulated however take up a lot of ceiling space for the runners which I didn't want to waste.

Just spoken to Rollerdor and are £1940 the pair for their posh ones and £1540 for the classic versions. So thats not too bad and saves £300 or so , which is a lump towards the flooring.

I have no idea on the prices of garage doors - I'm hoping for no more than £750 for a single roller door.....

Running a quick calc with all the wireless stuff and an external override comes in at £840

http://www.rollerdor.net/shop/rd55-diy-compact-roller-garage-door/

probably don't need a numbered keypad to open but like the idea :d

The classic door will come into that cost Darve. Quite happy to get mine fitted. The lady at Rollerdor  did comment on the height of my lintel !! ( not sure on a double entendre on that one) As my ceiling I put in, is well over 7ft high. They will come and double check all the measurements for peace of mind and especially with the way my garage door area has been constructed.

So, been to Wickes and bought their own masonry smooth diamond white paint, b&q for the polyfilla paint for the ceiling , some caulking and a roller on a stick. So, caulking today and painting the ceiling, weather dependant, as empty a lot of stuff out , tomorrow.