Thought Game – what would you have done…

John K

All of this is theoretical and just an amusing way to exercise our minds…

You are on a single carriage way, half a mile before it becomes two miles of dual.

Relatively close to you are three cars, lead car is an old MPV. There is a fourth car considerably in front of the MPV, already on the dual section.

All cars are ambling along at 40mph and all telegraphing they will be happy to continue to do so.

There is nothing behind you so plenty of room to drop back a bit, get into third (which if you happened to be driving a sporty sub compact with a mildly blown engine is a good over taking gear) and start an early run so when all the cars in your group reached the dual carriage way, you would already be carrying speed for a very quick overtake.

Let us assume all goes to plan and as soon as you get to the dual, you overtake the two cars in front (blinkers would have been on for 5 seconds by now)

The MPV is 100mtrs in front and you are gaining at approx. +30.

The MPV sees the front car about 100 mtrs away and decides with his +0.5 mph closing speed on the uphill section, now is the exactly right time to give one flash of the right blinker and to pull out into the overtaking lane.

Due to the highly tuned performance nature of his engine, the only evidence of a pass being on is the increase of black smoke out the back (at this point we have to assume it’s a DERV, you know, one of the really sporty ones)

The same overtaking lane which for the sake of discussion is currently occupied by a bright primary coloured hatch with daylight LEDs ablaze and the flasher going.

You would now be 75mtrs from the MPV at +40mph

The two options available would be…

1, Anchors out – which with fours disks and very little weight would scrub off all the speed safely – or…

2, Drop into the left lane and use the 100mtr gap (sorry at this point the MPV has reduced it to 99.5 mtrs) and your +40 mph to pass on the left.

Also in this scenario, let say there is a massive lay-by on the left should the theoretical MPV drift intentionally or otherwise back into the left lane.

And also in this scenario, the computer projections show for the underpass projection that none of the two other vehicles would need to change speed, lane or position.

So to allow me to learn from this thought game… What would you have done..?

I would accept that I'm not going to make the pass so would pull into the left hand lane, decrease my speed and wait a few miles for the next section of dual carriage way before overtaking both the MPV and car.

Preparing to get shot down in flames :d

1. If nothing was in the oncoming lane (assuming no central barrier) floored it and passed on the right.

2. Pulled in behind and waited for the next safe place to overtake.

No way would i overtake on the left.

1 minute ago, kenton said:

Preparing to get shot down in flames :d

1. If nothing was in the oncoming lane (assuming no central barrier) floored it and passed on the right.

For the sake of argument, lets assume a proper full on physical central reservation. 

And don't worry about going down in flames... All part of the fun..!

Put the air recirculation on and waited.

If you go out and buy a real car, you'll find less inclination to prove a point to such people :p

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dommo said:

Put the air recirculation on and waited

Air circulation removes bad odours, not bad language..!

I'd like to propose an option three, but if I did I'd certainly not be Chairman anymore - in theory...

Option 3 is use the "motorbike lane" - you know, the one in between the outside lane and the Armco...

• Like 2

It is simple this one. You cannot move to the left to effect an undertake, you can overtake in the left hand lane if the traffic in the right hand is going slower that the speed limit. It is when you start changing lanes it all gets a bit iffy.

Annoying as it is but you must legally just wait. The bigger issue for me is when the hypothetical driver see's that you are in a "flash" car and reflects on his life that see's him in a diesel powered badly running MPV and decides that as he is a loser he will stay out in the outside lane slowly winding it up tot he speed limit. For mile after mile he stays there so you snap and undertake only for him to send the camera footage he now has to North Wales Police who use it to prosecute you for careless driving. (this is happening not made up)

I just wait then overtake at the next opportunity. There should be the option to pull them over and beat the crap out of them or rocket launchers but I doubt that will get through the law making process

8 hours ago, Andy Banks - Chairman said:

I'd like to propose an option three, but if I did I certainly not be Chairman anymore - in theory...

Welcome to my ex-dilemma my friend :(  With great power comes necessary discretion...

• Like 1

I'm struggling with the idea that a Diesel could be in front of me to start with. ???

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

I'm struggling with the idea that a Diesel could be in front of me to start with. ???

Dear Mr Chairman,

I suggest we have just found the 2017 resident of "Sporty Diesel House"

If you need the exact wording, copy and paste from my profile..!

• Like 1

I just can't believe that everyone's sat there patiently waiting for the dual carriageway before starting to overtake!  :(

• Like 1

I would assume the MPV driver has blinkers on and could do anything at any time, so pull gradually towards the left lane while anchoring on, giving myself maximum space to take evasive action if needed!

(How boring! :down:)