Broken down - Spun bearing

Quinten

I think we need to find you an oil pressure gauge to fit to the dash as well Quinten, a warning light really is nearly useless except to tell you it's too late and you're screwed.  This should be fitted prior to the new engine being ready so you can ensure good pressure at first crank up.  What manufacturer gauges do you have now?

I've got white VDO cockpit gauges.  I've previously arranged with the engine seller that I could get the old gauge he used on his car, but it never materialised.  Maybe to my expense :( 

I have a spare VDO oil pressure sender I was going to use on my engine but I couldn't get it working with my DASH2 so got a different one. Its yours if you want it. Its this one https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/vdo-pressure-sender-10-bar-1-8npt-with-low-warning-360081030138

Cheers @lewis, but I do have a pressure sender already in the block, just no gauge to connect to it.  I've now agreed to the gauge from the engine seller, so for the future I should be covered in that area.  Still not progressed any further due to external temperatures...

• 2 weeks later...

Update again.  Head has been removed and inspected.  At first we (well, @black st ;) ) was scratching our heads as to what has caused piston 1 to be sitting lower than 4 when they were both on TDC

2017-07-01+11_40_28.jpg

^^ number 4

2017-07-01+11_40_35.jpg

^^ number 1

On number 1 you can see a small lip to the edge, whereas number 4 sits flush with the head.  Head gasket seemed ok, and so did the valves.  The 'clean' lip on the bottom of number 1 matches a clean section on the head, so the first assumption was that the conrod of number 1 is bent (see the top of the valves in the below picture).

2017-07-01+11_37_28.jpg

After cranking the engine by hand and pushing/prodding piston 1 the piston was all of a sudden level again with number 4.  So to conclude, the bearing has spun and causes the piston to go higher than allowed, consequently hitting the head 'edges'.

I now need to take engine (bottom) out and remove sump so we can inspect crank and take it from there.  May not get a definite answer until planned holidays are behind us, but we are hopeful that we can get away with a re-grind/replacement crank and new shells.

• Like 3

Ah well, at least you know now, and can plan. (Times like this, I wish there was a sympathies/commiserations button, not just a like button).

On 2017-6-12 at 09:10, Rednop1 said:

Does sound alittle more serious than a alternator or starter motor to me but hope it's just something simple so you can get back on the road asap

If the engine is damaged and needs some  serious work doing i know that funds maybe tight but if it was me I'd fit a brand new crated motor 

yes by the sounds of the thing i agree fully nothing at all to do with any alternator or anything else. its sounds like an internal engine problem not sure what could be oil pump failure which has led to bearing issues my advise would be to stop messing around with ancilerys and strip it down and investigate further as keep starting will only cause more damage..

49 minutes ago, tazmainia said:

yes by the sounds of the thing i agree fully nothing at all to do with any alternator or anything else. its sounds like an internal engine problem not sure what could be oil pump failure which has led to bearing issues my advise would be to stop messing around with ancilerys and strip it down and investigate further as keep starting will only cause more damage..

er, if you look a couple or 3 posts before yours :praise: you'll see it has been stripped :d

Ian

43 minutes ago, Yanto said:

er, if you look a couple or 3 posts before yours :praise: you'll see it has been stripped :d

Ian

Think Tazmainia was just trying to be helpfull towards a fellow wscc member.

...and the smilies show Yanto gently pulling his leg!

We're a freindly club here, even the Mickey taking is mild, trust me!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

Think Tazmainia was just trying to be helpfull towards a fellow wscc member.

@Wolfdog I agree indeed he was. My reply as Dave pointed out was written, well the intention was for it to be a light hearted leg pull to say that the strip down had commenced and @tazmainia had missed it - honest :t-up:, this isn't Piston Heads (if you ever frequent it's dark and sinister corners)!

We all want @Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO to get his car sorted as quickly and most economically as possible, in a way he has become all that the club represents, and we all love him dearly!

• Like 3

Pffft, how come it is always >25C when I need to get my hands dirty...  I couldn't get the sump off, it sort of hangs 3cm below the bottom end, and won't go any further than that.  Need to lift the engine (well, the bottom half) off the bellhousing to clear some obstruction there before I can inspect it.  Hoping to borrow one this week so I can continue stripping.

I did drain the oil and it's like looking in a mirror

2017-07-02+13_16_05.jpg

You need to slowly decant the oil and see if there are any metal particles. I'm guessing big end shell failure either due to low oil pressure or the rods not being torqued up properly. 

14 hours ago, Yanto said:

@Wolfdog I agree indeed he was. My reply as Dave pointed out was written, well the intention was for it to be a light hearted leg pull to say that the strip down had commenced and @tazmainia had missed it - honest :t-up:, this isn't Piston Heads (if you ever frequent it's dark and sinister corners)!

We all want @Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO to get his car sorted as quickly and most economically as possible, in a way he has become all that the club represents, and we all love him dearly!

Sorry :t-up:

• Like 1

No need for any apology...........:d, as i was once told if just one person reads something and understands it's meaning different to the way the author intended, then the author has failed.

• Like 1