Mr Grumpy - Can they rebuild him..?

John K

46 minutes ago, bollockybill said:

Any particular rattle? Plenty to choose from.

So mean... It's called character...

Perhaps I should have said "clanking" :p

11 hours ago, John K said:

@Grizzlee come on tell them all about the "rattle" and how it "cured its self"...

OK.... Sunday afternoon, it was time to put the nose cone and bonnet on and see if the “new” gearbox was any better than the old one, lets face it, if it had even the slightest hint of sync on 2nd gear it would be an improvement on the old one.

On starting him up we could hear a rattling sound which had been present since we first started him up following the gearbox swap. Obviously any metallic rattling sound is not desirable, and after investigation we had no idea where the sound was coming from engine/gearbox, top/bottom so decided we had no choice other than take him out and drive him and see what happens. @bollockybill chickened out and I was given the task of a short road test to make sure we could get him to the MOT station come Wednesday morning.

Reversing out of the drive the rattle seemed to come and go, just as it had when we previously ran the engine. So into the Cul-de-Sac 1st gear nice, clutch in 2nd gear BANG… what was that? Engine is still running and we still had drive, oil pressure etc! Turn around and head back to BB’s gaff, 1st nice, clutch in 2nd BANG really made me jump this time it was so loud I missed the gear and thought that the ‘box was busted, but it was fine turned into BB’s driveway and noticed that the rattle had gone.

What was the bang? asked BB, no idea but the rattling has stopped, all four gears were working fine shifting smoothly up and down the ‘box. Looked under the car nothing broken and no oil dripping from anything… I know what you’re thinking, yes it is a Xflow :p Good it must be time for tea so BB headed for the kettle and I went for a walk along the Cul-de-sac to see if there was anything there, oil etc.  

Standing upright in the middle of the road, chewed up and spat out by Mr. Grumpy, was a very black and oily 13mm socket, the very same socket that had been missing from BB’s set for the past few weeks.

We can only guess that it was hiding somewhere inside the bell housing even though we had looked in there using a Bore Scope on both sides of the flywheel. How it got in there is also a mystery as there are no 13mm nuts/bolts inside that we could have left it on.

Ooops!    :blush:   

• Like 4

Oh, that rattle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grizzlee said:

...Standing upright in the middle of the road, chewed up and spat out by Mr. Grumpy, was a very black and oily 13mm socket...

Could the Xflow get anymore mighty..?

It took on and spat out a 13mm socket... Like to see a modern engine (as in less than 20 years old) survive that..!

3 minutes ago, John K said:

It took on and spat out a 13mm socket... Like to see a modern engine (as in less than 20 years old) survive that..!

Very good point, the funny thing is, now the socket no longer matches his shiny set as it's gone matt :laugh:

7 minutes ago, Grizzlee said:

Very good point, the funny thing is, now the socket no longer matches his shiny set as it's gone matt :laugh:

It's official. A Xflow is mightier than Chrome Vandium..!

Just for a laugh, take the socket to Halfords and mention their lifetime warranty.

Jim

• Like 2

Just now, jim_l said:

Just for a laugh, take the socket to Halfords and mention their lifetime warranty.

Jim

"Yes Sir, and what is the reason for return..?"

"Erm..."

7 hours ago, Grizzlee said:

That 13mm socket now has a special place in my tool kit. I thought it was lost but Mr Grumpy knew otherwise. It might not be as shiny or bright as the others now but I missed it and I'm glad it's home where it belongs. If it can survive the rigours and trauma of a crossflow then it's good enough for me.

7 hours ago, John K said:

It's no wonder a bit of oil comes out if the engines incontinent enough to leak socketry! :p

:getmecoat:

Seriously though, great to see it's all coming together.

1 hour ago, Thrustyjust said:

You say 13mm, are you sure its 1/2 inch AF really ? :)

No, it was definitely 13mm... 1/2" AF would have fallen straight out.

That 0.3mm makes all the difference :p 

Mr Grumpy, enjoying the sunshine after passing his mot with no advisories.

20170712_145536.jpg

20170712_145632.jpg

• Like 6

That isn't the same car - it's too clean and shiny.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bollockybill said:

Mr Grumpy, enjoying the sunshine after passing his mot with no advisaries.

These guys are literally my heroes...