regular re sign in's required

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

No signed out, as Ian!

I had a look at the seetings on my iphone, ipad and PC today and couldn't see anything obvious that was causing the issues.

I've also deleted my browsing history and all website cookies but unfortunately the problem still persists.

I suspect it's timing out at some point which could be down to a security patch. I've played with two devices, Laptop and Android Phone. I can browse happily on both and switch between the two instantly or after a few minutes, no probs. I think it all times out, but I've yet to discover how long, will try and test that...

I signed in last night circa 18:00 hours on iPhone. I've had to sign in again this morning on the same phone.

Interestingly, since signing out of my account yesterday to sign in as Ian on a temporary password, i've had to resign in overnight on all devices. So as I sincerely doubt I've caught something from Ian's log-on ( :p :laugh: ) I wonder if it's been triggered by being logged out on the system? Something I don't normally do...

As has been commented on, it does seem vaguely time related though, overnight it's done it, whereas just an hour or two break doesn't seem to have. 

This is really very odd!

I'll try and track it down if I can find time - but pretty busy at the mo and so "mission critical" fixes will get pounced on, but might have to live with this one for a bit I'm afraid.

It may have been created by the last patch - a week or so ago - so might start by looking the the IP Board forums to see if they are seeing this on other sites.

Mine deffinately needs logging in again cross-platform after a few hours of no activity, since logging myself out.

I can move between browsers and devices and even if deliberately logged off on one, I can still access another. The key for me is time. I don't know how long (more than ten mins though) but it will time out and I need to login again on all sessions.

As noted earlier, I'm content and it's a small price to pay for added security.

• Like 1

Last thing I did was the above post about an hour ago. I was not asked to login. I'll leave it for an hour and a half...

OK. So I left quite a while and first thing I did just now was go back to my phone, last device used, laptop logged in via two browsers. I was able to load new content and browse away quite happily in the phone. Went to the laptop and on refresh of page or click of unread content, I was asked to log in.

So it's either a really long time out or the system knows from where you last logged in a presumably kills all other sessions after a certain time out (I can still work on laptop and phone right now), which as we've said, is a fairly tolerable security feature.

'tis a curious one tho'...

ETA, hmmm, just went back to my session in Firefox and it asked me to log in...

It compares the session to the IP address to help stop Session hijacking - so if you keep swapping IP's that might cause it

• Like 1

ime having to resign in on iphone 6 almost everytime ( @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO error code 2C280/3 ??), but no problems on my xp laptop ? iphone is fine with other websites like hotmail, geekbook etc

As I said when I get some time to investigate fully, I will. 

OK an update.

I have had a look on the Invision Forum and it seems this is (probably) caused by a known issue whereby logging in to a device which (after a period of inactivity) will log you out of all other devices you had logged in on previously.

So if you use a laptop, log in and then don't use it for a while (like weeks), you get logged out. But logging back in again on that laptop resets your 'common' cookie and thus all your other devices no longer appear as logged in.

Not 100% sure if this is the culprit, but it is going to be addressed in the new v4.20 release (we are on v4.1.19.4) so we have to wait for them to release it and see if that helps.

Note, version numbers mean that 4.1 -> 4.2 is a pretty big release, there could be dozens of 4.1.19.x minors followed by 4.1.20.x, 4.1.21.x  etc before we see it, so don't hold your breath!

• Like 1