Collection day

andy665

Todays the day Im collecting my Seight, 85 miles drive home and its cold, wet and windy, baptism of fire for me. 

Cant say im looking forward to the journey

Highly likely you'll love the journey by the time your home!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

Highly likely you'll love the journey by the time your home!

This :) 

I can think of worse things to do on a cold, wet and windy day! Have fun.

• Like 1

It might sound contradictory, but try not to be "afraid" of the car! Do though take it easy, leave plenty of room around yourself and be ultra observant. If it's a bright coloured car, great, if you've got brighter water proof clothing, where it! Likewise, lights on!

If the weathers bad, people in tin tops often hunker down with that sort of siege mentality you get, and their focus narrows to what's just in front of them, they can be so busy hurrying home they get less observant. Drive defensively for them. :d

But as the others have said, enjoy it! It'll make a fantastic story of your first Dave true with a Westfield. You can only get so wet, and if it has no weather gear, that'll happen quite quickly. You soon get to the point where you think, ok I'm soaked, but it's not that bad, (or my rain suit/wet weather clothes are working great, this is OK) and then you just get on with it. After a bit it gets fun in a strange, masochistic sort of way.

Driving a Westfield in the rain hits that same primitive joy centre in the brain that jumping in puddles used to when you were a small child. :d :t-up:

I'm afraid I am a fair weather driver, but when I have been caught out in the rain the main thing is to have a good hat. It really hurts being hit by hard rain or hail at any speed. Enjoy the run :-)

Luke

Once you are wet to your pants it can't get any worse :) 

If it's your first drive in a westie don't assume anyone has seen you. They have their mirrors set to see normal cars not something at wheel barrow level.  I bet their parking sensors wouldn't pick you up !

I did 400 miles in a day in torrential rain down the M74 and M6 when I collected my Grinnall Scorpion so its not like its alien to me. My son(9) was desperate to come with me and ended up leaving him at home in floods of tears

Oh no ,I  know what you mean as my son is the same age.  I can picture the scene.

It is best to take him out tomorrow when are happy all is OK.  I know he doesn't understand and you are horrid but he will have forgotten tonight when he hears the rumble in the driveway ;)

Dont worry, the rain will hit the windscreen and over your head at speed and the issue of wet pants will be minimal with the potential for soiling in the rain and traction.................. hang on..............someones nicked your screen :d

1 hour ago, 6carjon said:

Once you are wet to your pants it can't get any worse :) 

That rather depends on what made you wet.  If it's rain, you're correct.  If it's petrol, it can get worse - much worse.

i was once under a pickup truck helping a friend change his fuel sender on the petrol tank.  The stupid thing was mounted from the bottom of the tank, and they only way you could drain the tank was to remove the sender.  Nothing like getting soaked in petrol to make you paranoid and wanting to get soaked by a garden hose as quickly as possible.

Oh yes that is horrid.it usually trickles down my arm and into my armpit when under the car and changing a tank......

I picked mine up in january when it was just above freezing, had 180 miles to do with an aeroscreen. It started off steady eddy (couple of blats as you do) I then realised whilst coming down the m5 I was seriously running out of daylight so me and the blue brick had to wind it up a bit. We bonded on the M5 me and her. Made it back to Bristol with the sun just set. Chilled to the core mind, but with a smile on my face. :d 

Enjoy it, no weather can ruin collection day!

• Like 1

Biggest thing I remember about driving home mine on collection day was the wife, who follwed me home,  constantly flashing me as I kept leaving the indicators on. 

Took a while to master the toggle switch mentality.

well he left me ok, and left a nice no 11 in the gravel of the drive!

(I'd better change my avatar and car details)

• Like 1